Split Stay Cabana Bay/ Disney POP

bobkins40

Earning My Ears
So as my vacation planning gets closer...
I am rethinking my travel plans

We are traveling Aug 12-20
I have a room at POP for the week w/ dining and we were going to Uber to Universal Mon13 and Tues 14.
Now, with the Harry Potter package I am questioning a split stay at Cabana 12-15 and changing my pop stay

Price seems to be about the same for Disney + universal tickets
or split stay

Would it be more convenient or more of a hassle to split our reservation
we are new to Universal and unsure of options such as their dining program

any feedback is appreciated ( needed) !!!

Hi I think doing a split stay would be better. We love split stays and have done it with Disney and Universal in the same trip. With Cabana Bay you will get the early entry for the parks. Since you are interested in HP sections that is really helpful for it gets busy in those sections as the day goes on. I love the transportation to the parks with Cabana Bay, their bus service is great!

The dining plan really isn't like Disney's. It is more of a quick service and usually doesn't save much. The one good thing is that when you go to a quick serve if it seems like the meal plan is a good option and save money you can buy it right there. I believe with the HP package you get a breakfast or two. That will take care of one of the meals. There are a couple of quick serve where the meal plan helped a bit. We always used our snack for butter beer and that seemed to save a bit. Last summer I bought like 3 quick serve plans for three lunches and it was good since VB was a little more money. I would go on the Universal site and check out the dining options.

City walk has a great variety of sit down restaurants as well as some better fast food restaurants. You could certainly save money on meals.

I would definitely give consideration to a split stay. I think it would give a much more relaxed pace to your days an universal. I don’t know much about the dining plan but have to say I really enjoyed the dining at Universal. It was much easier to eat sit down meals since you don’t need to book far in advance and could often get walk up with minimal wait (dependant on time of year). I also really liked staying on site at Universal as we were able to walk to the parks and didn’t need to get on a bus (although that option was available).

I vote split stay as well. CB is great- nice rooms, close to the parks and City Walk, and it has a lazy river pool! We haven't stayed at CB yet, but those who have have said it's definitely a step up from a value resort!

Also going to recommend split stay. You get the hour early entry as well which helps with the Harry Potter rides.

Definitely do split stay. I'd avoid the dining plan, however, as Universal's plan doesn't make it easy to maximize value. Universal dining also doesn't require nearly as much planning for reservations, etc.

My one warning: Staying at CBBR will make your Disney value resort look like crap in comparison. I did a split stay last year between CBBR and All-Star Movies, and between the dated, cramped rooms and the slow, crowded, infrequent Disney bus service, I would've preferred just staying at CBBR the entire time.

Definitely do split stay. I'd avoid the dining plan, however, as Universal's plan doesn't make it easy to maximize value. Universal dining also doesn't require nearly as much planning for reservations, etc.

My one warning: Staying at CBBR will make your Disney value resort look like crap in comparison. I did a split stay last year between CBBR and All-Star Movies, and between the dated, cramped rooms and the slow, crowded, infrequent Disney bus service, I would've preferred just staying at CBBR the entire time.
I felt the same way. CB is so much nicer than Disney values and even some of their moderates. Oddly though, I feel that Disney's deluxe hotels are nicer than Universal's (on average; not all of them)

Just to say, you’ll love CBBR. We stayed last year for a few nights and are doing the same again this year. Lovely bright and biggish hotel rooms. The hotel itself is really nice, with plenty of room. The pool near the lazy river is good and there is a beach there too. Enjoy.

thanks for all the input
cabana bay does look ALOT nicer that pop century
wish we could afford Disney beach club

the husband and son are onboard so we are doing a split stay
logistically just seems to much of a hassle to stay at universal and go to Disney parks and vice versa

the husband and son are onboard so we are doing a split stay
logistically just seems to much of a hassle to stay at universal and go to Disney parks and vice versa

Splitting the stay can be easier. I personally think the Disney transportation system is slow, inconvenient and overrated, and that's one of the main reasons people act like you *have* to stay on-site at WDW.

Do the split stays.

It will feel like you are having two different vacations...

Also a great point. It allows you to switch from the Disney bubble to the Universal bubble.
I totally agree with you on this. We spent 4 nights at Universal last summer before moving over to Disney for 6 nights. I loved both parts of our trip and it felt like two totally different vacations. I loved being in the bubble at each place.

So as my vacation planning gets closer...
I am rethinking my travel plans

We are traveling Aug 12-20
I have a room at POP for the week w/ dining and we were going to Uber to Universal Mon13 and Tues 14.
Now, with the Harry Potter package I am questioning a split stay at Cabana 12-15 and changing my pop stay

Price seems to be about the same for Disney + universal tickets
or split stay

Would it be more convenient or more of a hassle to split our reservation
we are new to Universal and unsure of options such as their dining program

any feedback is appreciated ( needed) !!!

Another vote for split stays! Once you have one under your belt, you won’t go back :)

Going to guess you are hoping for FDP @ WDW? That could direct what days you can book during the 8/12-20 time period. “If” they should announce soon. I’d sit tight with what you have until it’s definite what’s going on there.

Pop isn’t my fav value. Not a fan of new rooms there. Many love them, YMMV. Conversely, AoA is amazing. No idea why they market as value as theme/rooms are so well-themed. Personal value fav is Music for the pool :) & duck section of Movies where we use the music amenities, including the bus stop.

Haven’t stayed @ CB as it doesn’t participate in the Loews you first program. Lazy river looks lovely, don’t usually find that sort of amentity at a value resort. Keep an eye on Saphirre falls rates, they are often in same ballpark. It’s a lovely property.

I felt the same way. CB is so much nicer than Disney values and even some of their moderates. Oddly though, I feel that Disney's deluxe hotels are nicer than Universal's (on average; not all of them)

IDK, PoRs are really nice, big fan of Riverside Mansions area. Have stayed in most of the WDW deluxe properties CRO & DVC & love the prospect of returning! JMHO, if not by virtue of location, many wouldn’t rate quite so high on pecking order. Loews properties are well-run and truly deluxe, especially PBH. Puzzles me to see WDW values pricing out higher than a Loews Deluxe now & again.

Yo mentioned the HP package in your earlier post. I would recommend comparing it against booking the hotel directly at loewes and the tickets through Universal or through trusted undercover tourist. Sometimes booking directly saves you more (and with CB you’ll get early entry included in the hotel stay).

You will enjoy that split stay! We did a dual trip last October. First Disney then Universal. We loved ending the vacation at Universal and fell in love with the World of Harry Potter. Going back this year just to Universal. No need for dining plans at Universal. I can tell you that we loved the breakfast choices at Cabana Bay. Loved the Bay Liner Diner their cafeteria style restaurant. Portions are huge and can easily be split. Their in room delivery pizza is not bad either. Lots of food choices in the parks and then there is City Walk which you walk thru to get to the parks after the buses drop you off. Lots of restaurants there. Nothing like Disney and the dining reservations. Pools at CBBR are amazing. Just a relaxed retro vibe to this resort.

You will enjoy that split stay! We did a dual trip last October. First Disney then Universal. We loved ending the vacation at Universal and fell in love with the World of Harry Potter. Going back this year just to Universal. No need for dining plans at Universal. I can tell you that we loved the breakfast choices at Cabana Bay. Loved the Bay Liner Diner their cafeteria style restaurant. Portions are huge and can easily be split. Their in room delivery pizza is not bad either. Lots of food choices in the parks and then there is City Walk which you walk thru to get to the parks after the buses drop you off. Lots of restaurants there. Nothing like Disney and the dining reservations. Pools at CBBR are amazing. Just a relaxed retro vibe to this resort.

What week of October did you go? We are going Oct 8 week this year and want to stay at Cabana but not sure if we need Express passes.

Columbus day will be busy
Days after that will be much lighter
Will seem like an empty park that Tuesday and Wednesday

Hhn starts back Wednesday but park won’t be packed that day

Not sure about Thursday crowds will be that week

IOA should be fine the entire week as hhn is not held there

Quite possible you can do fine with out ep

Do early entry and cover potter first and stay ahead of the crowds once the park opens to the public

What week of October did you go? We are going Oct 8 week this year and want to stay at Cabana but not sure if we need Express passes.

We went the week of October 22nd. The only lines I remember of 30 minutes or more were the Harry Potter rides and Despicable Me. Going back same time frame this year and adult kids staying at Royal Pacific to get express
passes. My sister and I are older and chose to try Sapphire Falls. I am betting October 8th will be much calmer. (No I need to change this - see edit below.)

A plan we considered is stay at Cabana Bay and go in on the early entry days and try for the rides that get backed up. If you are going to Universal for more than one day you can always go get that single ride express pass for 79 on your last day. I am betting with watching queue times you will manage without those passes. Despicable Me and Gringotts seem to be the two to get to early.

Edited to add - Just read that October 8th is Columbus Day. Parks are known to have heavy crowds that day. Maybe the rest of the week will be lighter.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!