speaking of pageants

Briar Rose 7457

Proud of my Princesses
Large is Beautiful At Jumbo Queen Pageant

By Associated Press

May 1, 2003, 10:18 AM EDT

SAMPHRAN, Thailand -- Rolls of glitter-sprinkled fat draped over the ladies' elbows. Their double and triple chins were caked in layers of foundation and blush. And when the Jumbo Queen contestants performed their dance numbers, the flab below their armpits jiggled.

But the 25 women relished being big and beautiful at the annual pageant that celebrated their oddness in a country where slender and petite frames are the norm.

"There are beauty pageants for people who are slender, and that's one form of beauty," said Kamonlak Chaichanajetjumnong, a 32-year-old contestant who weighs 187 pounds).

"Then there's the pageant for us, and it's another kind of beauty. We are beautiful in our hearts and in our faces," said Kamonlak.

The Jumbo Queen this year was Nongnuch Paynguleaom, who weighed in at 209 pounds and went home $1,200 richer.

The 25-year-old, who is majoring in hotel and tourism at the Siam University in Bangkok, believed her dance number was the winning ticket.

"This stage could make me famous," Nongnuch said. "I want to be an actress, and this is a chance for me to show off my abilities."

The Jumbo Queen event was staged at the Samphran Elephant Ground and Zoo, 25 miles west of Bangkok, as part of the zoo's annual Jumbo Banquet elephant feast.

The winners were judged not only by their weight but also by their performances in talent contests and questions thrown at them by the hosts -- Ornapa Krisadee, Thailand's leading transvestite actress and make up artist, and Tanongsak Supagam, a male actor.

All contestants performed dances to Western pop and rock music as their talent display.

Previous Jumbo Queens have gone onto local fame, acting in soap operas and performing in music videos.

Arunothai Kanjanasatit, 25 and 232 pounds, who failed to win anything last year, was the runner-up this time, winning a cash prize of $715.

"I tried to be more careful this year. I gained some weight, too," Arunothai said. "I want to stay the weight I am now because if I were skinny, I might not look as fresh and bright as I do now."

Most of the women looked at the pageant as a way to make fat friends. They say these new friends understand the difficulties they may face in society and additionally make ideal shopping partners for the extra-extra-large sizes.
Copyright © 2003, The Associated Press
Large is Beautiful

I'm glad that there is a pageant for larger women, but that first paragraph of the article was mean! The author sounded like he/she was making fun of the women the way he/she talked about their "flab" and "double and triple chins". That was uncalled for.

Originally posted by SilverLily
I'm glad that there is a pageant for larger women, but that first paragraph of the article was mean! The author sounded like he/she was making fun of the women the way he/she talked about their "flab" and "double and triple chins". That was uncalled for.

I agree...

There are many woman who are big that I consider very pretty...and some skinny pretty people who just could not be pretty in my eyes. I am glad there is something like this...why not? Beauty is in the eye of the beholder :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter