Southwest - "unavailable" ??

DizneyLizzy

DIS Veteran
What does "unavailable" mean when trying to book on the Southwest website? Does it mean the flight is totally booked, or should I try again daily until the flight I want opens up again. I am trying to book a flight from MCO-BWI in May, and that seems awfully far away to be totally booked.

Anyone have any experience with this? I've never encountered this before.

Thanks!

What does "unavailable" mean when trying to book on the Southwest website? Does it mean the flight is totally booked, or should I try again daily until the flight I want opens up again. I am trying to book a flight from MCO-BWI in May, and that seems awfully far away to be totally booked.

Anyone have any experience with this? I've never encountered this before.

Thanks!

If all 3 price categories are unavailable, it's soldout. Possibly a large group filled it. BWI is a hub, so people use that route to connect to other cities. Is it every flight that day or just one?

Oh no! That's bad news...

There are 2 flights that day that are showing as "unavailable" and one of them is a flight I am trying to book for a friend so she can fly with me. She will NOT fly alone. Maybe I'll book a higher category and hope for cancellations...

If all 3 price categories are unavailable, it's soldout. Possibly a large group filled it. BWI is a hub, so people use that route to connect to other cities. Is it every flight that day or just one?

Okay I checked again and it is just the "Wanna Get Away" category. I could book one way from MCO to BWI for $339 under the "anytime" rate!! Crazy. I guess I will keep checking.

Thanks!

When SW shows "unavailable", it means that fare is sold out.

Southwest has several fares in the "wanna getaway" category. Unavailable in that category suggests Southwest thinks they'll be able to sell out the remaining seats at full fare. They may be wrong and discounted seats will show up. They may be right and the flight will sell out before your friend can book. See how many seats are available for sale. Try to book 9 seats, if you can't try 8 and so on. If (at least) 9 seats are available I'd wait. If you can only book 1 or 2 seats I'd book now.

When SW shows "unavailable", it means that fare is sold out.

I have seen it say unavailable and miraculously open up with seats the next week. This happened to me last year. I got nervous when I seen this with SWA and hurry and booked with Air Tran thinking the prices would go through the roof. Lo and behold the "unavailable" flight was again available the next week and cheaper than what I booked through Air Tran.

I have seen it say unavailable and miraculously open up with seats the next week. This happened to me last year. I got nervous when I seen this with SWA and hurry and booked with Air Tran thinking the prices would go through the roof. Lo and behold the "unavailable" flight was again available the next week and cheaper than what I booked through Air Tran.

Thanks. I will give it until the end of the week before I offer her 2 choices...fly with me for $339 one way or fly alone on AirTran for $200 less!!

Sold out means sold out. Unavailable means check back later. Even if all categories are "unavailable" it does not necessarily mean sold out.

From SW website: Important Fare & Schedule Information

All fares and fare ranges are subject to change until purchased.
Flight ontime performance statistics can be viewed by clicking on the individual flight numbers.
All fares and fare ranges listed are per person for each way of travel.
"Unavailable" indicates the corresponding fare is unavailable for the selected travel date(s), the search did not meet certain fare requirements, or the flight has already departed.
"Sold Out" indicates that flight is sold out for the corresponding fare type.

Keep checking.

Thanks everyone! Checked again this morning and it was available. So weird...so I guess if anyone else runs into this same problem with SW, keep checking! I had to pay a lot for the flight, but nowhere near the price for the "Anytime" category.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter