Southwest Early Bird Check-in worth it?

In case you don't already know, 36 hours before departure Southwest's system assigns boarding positions to those who purchased EBCI in the order in which they purchased it. In other words, someone who purchases EBCI today for a flight on Friday will be one of the last EBCI customers to board. You won't gain much over where you would be if you check in EXACTLY 24 hours before departure. But do be sure to check in exactly 24 hours out. Delaying your check in by even a few minutes can make a big difference in your boarding assignment.

I think it does make sense to purchase it for the flight home. Just from the discussion on this board, it seems a lot of people purchase EBCI just for their return flight so they don't risk forgetting to check in while they're out having fun in the parks. Again, with a last minute purchase you will be towards the end of the EBCI passengers so in this case it's more about the risk of forgetting, or interrupting what you're doing on your last day, to check in right at 24 hours out.

Be aware that even with EBCI you can end up in the "B" boarding group. Family boarding is between "A" and "B" so even with EBCI you could end up boarding after family boarding. But you would still be ahead of those who did not purchase EBCI.

The matrix for determining EBCI order is more complex, I believe, than "in the order in which they purchased it." DH and I bought SWA Tickets on points for our DVC Disney Cruise. A couple of months later our daughter decided to join us and we bought her ticket with cash. We added EBCI to all tickets at the time they were purchased. When I checked in, DD was A2x and DH and I were A4x. So even though our tickets had been bought months before our DD, she ended up boarding 20+ places in front of us.

We usually only do it for return that way we do not have to worry about what we are doing at the 24 hour mark. I think you got some great advice and if you check yourself in at the 24 hour mark, you should be good, have a great trip

Due to my situation, I pre-board with the wheelchairs, so I skip the EBCI, but I used to buy it simply so I did not have to be watching the time while at the parks. I know that you used to be able to go to guest services in the parks and they would help you check in and print your boarding pass for you. Would if they still do that?

I purchase it for our return flight only. I just don’t want to be bothered to remember to do it while in the parks trying to enjoy the last day of the vacation. For our outbound flight I have been fine so far checking in at 24 hours out. I have my phone set to remind me 15 minutes before I need to check in this evening. We generally still get towards the end of A or early B. We also don’t mind the back of the plane though. Prefer it actually so that helps.

With my ds now being 7 (last time we flew he was 4), this will also be our first time not eligible for family boarding so it is possible I may change my tune. We’ll see tomorrow. In my previous experience at our home airport, there were so many families, they didn’t even do it outside of those needing assistance.

Agree with PPs. It's worth it for the return flight so you don't have to stop where you are to check-in at the 24 hour mark. But for the flight going, if you have no seating preferences and no need to sit near someone, then checking in at the 24 hour mark should be more than fine. I also wouldn't worry about having to gate check any luggage due to overhead bin space either.

All of this said, we do always buy EBCI for both legs of our trip. It's only $15 one way so I just budget the cost of it into our travel budget, and Southwest still comes out cheaper than our other options.

The matrix for determining EBCI order is more complex, I believe, than "in the order in which they purchased it." DH and I bought SWA Tickets on points for our DVC Disney Cruise. A couple of months later our daughter decided to join us and we bought her ticket with cash. We added EBCI to all tickets at the time they were purchased. When I checked in, DD was A2x and DH and I were A4x. So even though our tickets had been bought months before our DD, she ended up boarding 20+ places in front of us.
You are correct. The type of fare is also a factor when Southwest creates the boarding order for the EBCI customers 36 hours out. For example on Southwest's website they explain that if you purchase an Anytime fare ticket plus EBCI, you will board ahead of those who purchased a Wanna Get Away fare plus EBCI. Within each fare group, the order is by date/time of purchase of EBCI.

In the OP's case, I assumed he purchased a Wanna Get Away ticket so buying EBCI now would put him at the back of the EBCI queue. However, if he purchased an Anytime fare then purchasing EBCI now, even just a few days in advance, could still make sense because it would put him ahead of all of the Wanna Get Away customers who purchased EBCI. So it's good that you brought up the fare class issue since it could be a factor to the OP, or to others who read this thread.

Just curious, did you purchase an Anytime fare ticket for your DD? If not and it was a Wanna Get Away ticket it sounds like her cash ticket was considered a higher fare class than your points tickets. Southwest's description of the boarding order doesn't go into that level of detail but some here have suspected that even within the Wanna Get Away fare group they could be using the fare class to further subdivide the EBCI boarding order.

It can be. However, I only use it when I cannot check in at 24 hours.

I just bought it for a flight on Friday, but I'll be on a subway at 24 hours and likely without a signal on the phone.

I set an alarm for 5 minutes before the 24 hours. I haven't missed it yet. Once I checked in while riding Toy Story Mania.

Last edited:

I never get Early Bird Check in. Because I don't care where we sit or if we sit together. DH and I are together every day. We can survive a 1 hour plane ride not sitting next to each other. May even be better on vacation without sitting next to each other :) So no, I don't buy it. And have never had to check a carry on bag.

Reactions: fbb
You are correct. The type of fare is also a factor when Southwest creates the boarding order for the EBCI customers 36 hours out. For example on Southwest's website they explain that if you purchase an Anytime fare ticket plus EBCI, you will board ahead of those who purchased a Wanna Get Away fare plus EBCI. Within each fare group, the order is by date/time of purchase of EBCI.

In the OP's case, I assumed he purchased a Wanna Get Away ticket so buying EBCI now would put him at the back of the EBCI queue. However, if he purchased an Anytime fare then purchasing EBCI now, even just a few days in advance, could still make sense because it would put him ahead of all of the Wanna Get Away customers who purchased EBCI. So it's good that you brought up the fare class issue since it could be a factor to the OP, or to others who read this thread.

Just curious, did you purchase an Anytime fare ticket for your DD? If not and it was a Wanna Get Away ticket it sounds like her cash ticket was considered a higher fare class than your points tickets. Southwest's description of the boarding order doesn't go into that level of detail but some here have suspected that even within the Wanna Get Away fare group they could be using the fare class to further subdivide the EBCI boarding order.

My daughter's ticket was Wanna Get Away.

Is it really that important to get it when you're returning from a cruise? Assuming we fly SW for our April cruise, I know we won't be able to check in from the middle of the Atlantic. (Unless we buy outrageous wifi package).

Some in our party will get it. But me? I don't care if I sit in the middle seat of the back row (and I have before). I just wanna get home.

Is it really that important to get it when you're returning from a cruise? Assuming we fly SW for our April cruise, I know we won't be able to check in from the middle of the Atlantic. (Unless we buy outrageous wifi package).

Some in our party will get it. But me? I don't care if I sit in the middle seat of the back row (and I have before). I just wanna get home.
How far out from departure do you have cell or wifi accessa again? You can check in then. You'll get on the plane, so if you don't care where you sit then I wouldn't get it.
I've never cruised before. Do they offer anything with a similar feature to ME? ME will actually check you in. Just not at 24 hours on the nose. They do it when they get around to it, whenever it is the print your documents I guess. If the cruise boats have anything that prepare you for your return home maybe they do it too? No idea. Probably not but worth asking I guess

If the flight is overbooked and you're the last to check in, there's a chance you might be bumped.

How far out from departure do you have cell or wifi accessa again? You can check in then. You'll get on the plane, so if you don't care where you sit then I wouldn't get it.
I've never cruised before. Do they offer anything with a similar feature to ME? ME will actually check you in. Just not at 24 hours on the nose. They do it when they get around to it, whenever it is the print your documents I guess. If the cruise boats have anything that prepare you for your return home maybe they do it too? No idea. Probably not but worth asking I guess

This is Royal Caribbean, so I don't know. This will be the first time flying SW. All other times, we've either drove or flown Delta. That's even assuming we fly SW this time. We still may go with Delta.

I only buy EBCI when it's a return flight home,and I'll be too busy to checkin at the proper time...my last trip(not Orlando) I flubbed it, and still had no issues. I TOTALLY FORGOT to checkin at 24 hrs...(mixed up my days) and checked in 4 hours later!:scared1: We got low C passes..... Full flights (we connected) but no issues. We sat towards back,plenty of overhead room for our carryons. On the way back,again I flubbed. I was struggling to check multiple people in at 24 hrs at a noisy zoo.....that was entertaining.(not) We got B seats then b/c I was all a mess doing it. But whatever, TOTALLY full flight,plenty of room for bags (lots of standbys on our late late flight)

I've read in the past that while yes, EBCI assigns boarding position based on the order of purchase, if someone with EBCI changes or cancels, the next passenger to purchase EBCI gets that slot.

I always pay for EBCI. I do want to sit next to my family members, and I do want to be able to pick my spot on the aircraft. I've been lucky enough to get exit row a few times, so to me a chance at that is worth the small cost.

I heard that if you use EBCI you cannot check into your return flight from the resort (meaning you have to take your bags to the airport yourself). Does anyone have a different experience?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter