Southwest Child Fares

BaysMom

Mouseketeer
After digging deeper on Southwest.com - I found that there are child fares up to age 11. When you first search on their site, it says adult tickets are for ages 2+. However, you can call Southwest and get a child fare, you just can't book them on-line.

Has anyone ever done this?? How much discount off regular adult price ticket is it??

Usually, the Wanna Get Away fares are much cheaper. The child fare is a discount off the regular fare--not sure of the discount amount, but when I called, the child fare was expensive when compared to the Wanna fare.

Also, if you book a Child, Senior, Military fare you cannot check in online at the 24 hr point. You must go to the counter and show proof of eligibility (Senior, Military) or show there are children flying. Traveling with my Mom-N-Law we used a Senior Fare (turned out the be more than Wanna Get Away Fare after a Ding) She had to checkin at the airport and got C Group. We checked in at home and had A Group. Ultimately, she asked for a wheelchair and was allowed to board early. I've witnessed quite a few people upset with getting a C group boarding because they had to wait until they got to the airport. This isn't an issue if your children are under 4 and you can use Family Boarding.

The discount is off the Anytime fares, not the cheaper Wanna Get Away fares. On say an approx. $500.00 ticket, in the area of a $35-$40 a ticket, not a huge amount AND you can't do online check in.

These are not actual amounts, but what I've found the typical discount range to be on client tickets I've booked.

Also, if you book a Child, Senior, Military fare you cannot check in online at the 24 hr point. You must go to the counter and show proof of eligibility (Senior, Military) or show there are children flying. Traveling with my Mom-N-Law we used a Senior Fare (turned out the be more than Wanna Get Away Fare after a Ding) She had to checkin at the airport and got C Group. We checked in at home and had A Group. Ultimately, she asked for a wheelchair and was allowed to board early. I've witnessed quite a few people upset with getting a C group boarding because they had to wait until they got to the airport. This isn't an issue if your children are under 4 and you can use Family Boarding.

Actually, you can do online checkin on a child fare (or a senior fare), but you have to certify the passenger's age first. This is easy to do if the person has a RR account; just show the proof of age at the airport ANYTIME (not necessarily the day the person is flying) and the certification will be added to the account. Once that's done, online checkin will be enabled.

That said, child fares are only a bargain when you otherwise have no choice but to pay the full walkup fare. Sometimes that isn't the case with the senior fares; those can be seriously discounted on some routes.

Ursula is correct. Its always the first time around that you get dinged as we did. Most people don't go to the airport and complete their verification unless they have been dinged before OR they participate in the DISboards!

So, let me ask this about our group:

I went online and did a fare search for 5 adults (didn't qualify the kids as kids) and 1 senior (DFIL is over 65). I then purchased 6 tickets at the same fare rate. Will we have a problem checking in the one senior in our group at the 24 hour mark, even though we didn't use an actual senior fare? I'm just checking so I can call and switch him to an adult before our trip if I need to.

Glad I read this thread!!!

Age verification is only required if you have a ticket purchased on an age-restricted discount fare. If you did not buy a "senior fare" ticket, then age-related online checkin restrictions will not arise at all.

PS: Southwest's RR program sends members a notice when they are going to turn 65 and be eligible for senior fares, so that you are warned to verifiy your age with an agent before you are in this position. It's seamless for most people who are regulars with the airline.

Ughh..have a headache this morning. Trying to book for my family of 5. So, I MAY buy my 11 year old a regular "wanna get away" ticket on line and just ignore that she's 11? She doesn't NEED a childs ticket? Thanks so much!

Ughh..have a headache this morning. Trying to book for my family of 5. So, I MAY buy my 11 year old a regular "wanna get away" ticket on line and just ignore that she's 11? She doesn't NEED a childs ticket? Thanks so much!

No, she doesn't need a child's ticket - look at the field on the website. Next to adult it says something like "age 2 and up." You aren't ignoring her age - she just falls into the same category as anyone else if you're booking online.

No, she doesn't need a child's ticket - look at the field on the website. Next to adult it says something like "age 2 and up." You aren't ignoring her age - she just falls into the same category as anyone else if you're booking online.

Thank you so much! For some reason it's just not sinking in this morning. I even called SW to ask this question... I hung up even more confused.:confused3 Got it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter