• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Sorry for my ignorance, have lots of questions

TeresaNJ

Magic Begins With Me
Hi all you Fort Wilderness experts. I'm taking an unexpected trip to WDW November 9-13, and I'm bring my 69 yo mom and 16 yo daughter with me. It's just a girl's trip.:) Anyway, I've never stayed at FW before, and know virtually nothing about it and can't seem to find answers to what I need to know. We're spending our first two nights in a FW cabin, and our last two nights at VWL. I'm concerned with walking distances at FW. My mom is in pretty good shape, but doesn't do alot of walking. Is the distance between the FW cabins and the marina and Pioneer Hall, etc. within walking distance, or will we always have to take the internal bus?

Also, our plane doesn't arrive until 6:15 on Saturday, the 9th, and I was thinking about taking my mom to the Hoop de Doo for the 9:30 show if I can get tickets, since she has never seen it, and it will be too late to go to any of the parks. Do you think I am risking not getting to the show on time? I figure if we land at 6:15, get to the resort by 7:30ish, check in, and drop our bags at the cabin, we should still have time to get back to Pioneer Hall for the show. What do you all think?

I really want to make this a nice trip for my mom as she hasn't been to WDW since 1997, and I really had to convince her to go with me, as she is afraid she wouldn't be able to keep up with my daughter and I, but I assured her we would go at her pace. Anyone have any tips on making our FW stay as pleasant as possible?

Thanks in advance.

Fort Wilderness is great! However, it is quite large and unless your mom is up to a 15 or so minute walk you will need to take an internal bus to Pioneer Hall, the marina, etc.--unless you rent a golf cart. If you can swing it, I would get a golf cart--but you may be arriving too late to get it your first night. I'm not sure how late the Bike Barn is open in November.

I don't think you'd have any trouble making the 9:30 HDD, and you all should really enjoy that! Check-in that late should go pretty quickly and the buses run pretty frequently in the evening.

Just ask away if you have any more questions!

I agree about the golf cart. Figure about $40/day to rent one. It's expensive - but you'll be so glad you have it! But, if you don't get one, you can always take the internal buses. They've reconfigured the bus system, so it works pretty good now!

You should have no problem getting to the late HDD show your first night. It will be a great way to start your trip!! :)

I have a father who has a hard time walking too much too. So I would suggest calling CRO and request a loop. I would suggest 2200 loop, close to the entrance or exit of the loop. Then about three days before you arrive fax the front desk and explain that your a member of your party is disabled and could they please put you at the front or end of the loop. The room assign will try and do their best. They have always been wonderful too us even calling us when the loop we requested was closed for rehab.

As for the first night figure and hour to get out of the airport another hour to get to WDW and get registered. So that puts you around 8pm if everything goes well. I think you will be ok. If this is a show you think your mother would like I would go.

FW is very large and the cabins are on the opposite end of the property from PH. We have resorted to getting a golf cart just because it has made it easier. You might want to take a look at the FW map at www.disneyzone.actusa.net. The pictures of the cabins are old but the rest of the information is helpful.

FW fax 407-824-3508

Just a thought ... when we travel, we try to make the first night kind of relaxing. After packing and traveling all day, everyone may be tired and just want to get settled, take a leisurely ride on the bus to get acquainted with the transportation system, campground, shops, etc. You can always eat at Trail's End which is next to Pioneer Hall.

If for any reason things don't go as planned, you'll be stressing about getting there on time.

With the dinner/show being as expensive as it is, you might want to save it for another evening when you aren't rushed.

Just something to consider.

I agree about saving Hoop-Dee-Doo for a different night. At this late date you may have to be on a stand by list anyway.

While I love to walk around FW, your mom may have trouble, so if you can swing it check into the golf cart. Last year when we took my grandmother my mom went to the front desk & they got a complimentary wheelchair (they stayed at the All Stars) which they used for the entire trip - parks & all.

My grandmother hated the idea, but it actually worked out well & she was glad she had it.

Yes this place is huge. Definitely alot bigger than I ever expected. We just arrived back home on the 27th of Oct. Golf carts sound expensive but well worth every cent. I think the cabins are much farther away than the campsite loops from the stores and pool and marina. Plus the loops are much larger in the cabin loops so if you get one in the middle you definitely will have alot of walking. Hope this helps.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter