Someone else parking the RV

A few thoughts. It never hurts to call and ask Disney if there is anyone that can do this. If that fails you might try reaching out to area RV dealerships for advice and help.

I think the biggest issue is to as your dad if he is wiling to let anyone else back it in, because if he's not then nothing else matters. Many RVers are very helpful to one another, but when it comes to backing in some won't take that responsibility.

What type of RV is he driving; Motorhome or pulling a trailer? How long has he been driving?

Another option for you, and for him, is to check into the RV driving schools. The second link even has some tips on backing.
http://www.rvschool.com/
https://www.rvbasictraining.com/

So I remember reading somewhere that there is an company that will park your RV. Is that true and if so who does that?

My dad only has ever done pull through parking and is freaking out about backing up and breaking his baby. (He has a history.....)

Thanks!
Sounds like it's time to practice, practice, practice ! In a parking lot or something :)

It never hurts to call and ask Disney if there is anyone that can do this.
1) In all reality, NO , we do not offer a back-in service.
2) At the request of a guest, we will come out and help you by guiding/directing you into your site.
. . . examples: . . . "go left" . . . "go right" . . . "a little more back"
3) BUT, we are not held responsible if you back into a tree or other obstruction.

does he have a license to drive an RV?
1) I only have a license to Drive People Crazy And/or Annoy Them.
2) And, after several lessons, I have come to do this VERY well.

I'm curious, does he have a license to drive an RV? Many states require a non CDL endorsement now,
It really depends on the state. Illinois says you need a Non-CDL Class A if the "combination of vehicles" is in excess of 26,001 lbs. My 42 ft 5th wheel and dually crew cab 4X4 is about 22,200 combined. I know some diesel pushers will approach 30,000 lbs (or more), but most rigs are under that 26K.

j

according to the website, Illinois law is anything above 16,000 lb GVWR or GCWR, or towing above 10,000 lb, requires non-commercial Class A, B or C.

For Illinois:

Vehicles Requiring a CDL

Any combination of vehicles with a Gross Combination Weight Rating (GCWR) of 26,001 pounds or more, providing the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of the vehicle being towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds.

Any single vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 pounds or more, or any such vehicle towing another not in excess of 10,000 pounds.

Any vehicle, regardless of size, designed to transport 16 or more persons, including the driver.

Any vehicle, regardless of size, required by federal regulations to be placarded while transporting hazardous materials.

Reading this my take is that if the vehicle being towed is over 10,000# AND the total weight of all the vehicles (truck and trailer) is over 26,001# THEN you need non-commercial CDL. In Teamubr's case he is over the 10,000# on the trailer, but is under the 26,001# total, so he would be exempt.

Bit tricky, had to read through it a few times.

according to the website, Illinois law is anything above 16,000 lb GVWR or GCWR, or towing above 10,000 lb, requires non-commercial Class A, B or C.
Vehicles Requiring a CDL

Reading this my take is that if the vehicle being towed is over 10,000# AND the total weight of all the vehicles (truck and trailer) is over 26,001# THEN you need non-commercial CDL. In Teamubr's case he is over the 10,000# on the trailer, but is under the 26,001# total, so he would be exempt.
It is very tricky. There is also an exemption from CDL listed later in the book.
"Operators Exempt from Obtaining a CDL
If your vehicle meets one of the following definitions, you are not required to obtain a CDL.

- Recreational Vehicle
When using a recreational vehicle primarily for personal use, you do not need to obtain a CDL."

It is so confusing the driver's license office called the State Police in Springfield to get my questions answered. What I was told after 3 different groups finally agreed, was as long as the primary vehicle wasn't over 26,001, I didn't need a Non-CDL Class A even if the trailer is over 10,000. I know it doesn't read that way, (sort of), but I've been pulled over twice with the race trailer and it was never an issue. Honestly, one of the state troopers we talked to in the license office said as long as I wasn't commercial, they didn't really care. I said, right until I'm in a wreck and people are looking for someone to blame.

j

I've had camping neighbors help me. If there are people around with large rigs, they are usually more than willing to help. I've never needed help at the Fort, but have neighbors help twice at state parks.

Can I ask if your father will be towing from CO (your stated location)? As I follow this thread, it strikes me that Co to FL is a LONG haul if you are not comfortable backing the trailer. If that is the trip you are anticipating, I would echo others and encourage some time practicing in lots and perhaps even a training session as mentioned earlier. Even if he doesn't want to back up if unnecessary, I'd be very reluctant to head out on a 4k mile round trip terrified of having to back up if circumstances called for it!

I say HEAD OUT! Only one way to learn, and that's to get experience in the saddle, or cockpit, or whatever it is you may use to control everything. First camper pulling experience for me was hooking up the 35 foot TT and heading from Mississippi to FW! When I pulled out of the driveway I was hair on end and white knuckled on the steering wheel.

When I was pulling back in the driveway after the trip I was having no issues.
fast-and-furious-again.jpg

Just get in there and go I say!:dancer:

I say HEAD OUT! Only one way to learn, and that's to get experience in the saddle,
Just get in there and go I say!:dancer:
Ya, but we're nurses. That's kinda how we roll. Remember, these a "normal" people. You know, the ones we don't see at work. :D

j

My wife will not drive the truck and trailer setup in a straight line let alone back it up, our youngest son was doing it when he was 18 y/o. Some people are just intimidated by it.

My wife will not drive the truck and trailer setup in a straight line.
DW is the same. She will grudgingly drive the truck with nothing attached. I think she would take one of my son's Miatas (aka skateboard according to DW) before she took the truck anywhere.
DS will drive the truck now. He had to drive a F150 at his old job and thought that was fine. Then he got in the dually and said "THIS IS A LOT BIGGER!" He decided the F150 was "Big Bertha" and my truck is "Big Brutus".

j

My wife will not drive the truck and trailer setup in a straight line let alone back it up, our youngest son was doing it when he was 18 y/o. Some people are just intimidated by it.

You ain't alone...

I asked her once what she would do if I got sick or injured. Her answer: "Fly your father to wherever we are to drive."

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!