Some Questions - hotels (Novotel, Marriott), currency

ExpatDisneyLover

DIS Veteran
Hi - I am currently working for the Mouse in Beijing and am itching to use my silverpass at HK Disneyland. I have never been before - only to Paris, WDW and DL in California.

I may book an onsite hotel, but as far as off site properties go - how is the Novotel Citygate? or the Sky City Marriott? Which would you recommend and why? How convenient is it to go back to the hotel after the evening fireworks? How is transportation? How long does it take?

Can I use my ICBC Union Pay bank card at ATM machines in Hong Kong? Can I use my bank card to pay for an onsite hotel? How about an off site hotel? Can I use my bank card to book a flight with Hong Kong Airlines?

Thanks for any help!

:)

I visited HK last March and became very familiar with the MTR. It looks like both of those offsite hotels are close to stations. Location alone, I'd suggest the Novotel Citygate in Tung Chung. From the Tung Chung station to Sunny Bay (station that connects with the Disney line) is only around 20 minutes if my memory serves me. The Tung Chung area is probably more convenient, there's a big mall, resturants, and the cable car to Ngong Ping.

I can't offer any advice on your other questions, but hopefully that helps you a little with your hotel search.

Hi - I am currently working for the Mouse in Beijing and am itching to use my silverpass at HK Disneyland. I have never been before - only to Paris, WDW and DL in California.

We love HKDL! I find it to be a very charming park.

I may book an onsite hotel, but as far as off site properties go - how is the Novotel Citygate? or the Sky City Marriott? Which would you recommend and why? How convenient is it to go back to the hotel after the evening fireworks? How is transportation? How long does it take?

The only hotels that are 'convenient' are the onsite ones. HKDL is very isolated and will take about an hour on the train to get in and out of the city. On the other hand, the train is great and very easy to navigate. If you really want to stay offsite, the most convenient hotels would be in Tung Chung, which is the end of the rail line that Disneyland is on. I think it took about 20 minutes on the train.

If you do end up staying in the city, none of them will really be any more or less convenient to Disneyland in the scheme of things. Just pick whichever hotel you like the look of best. I'd probably go with one a short walk from a train station, so you can just rely on the train for transport.

I have stayed at both onsite hotels and enjoyed both stays very much. If money is no option, I would always choose the HKDL Hotel for the more luxurious, adult feel. But the Hollywood Hotel was more than adequate, and we had a great view of the park. There is a free shuttle bus that services both onsite hotels, but I didn't feel like it was really required for the HKDL Hotel. It is only a 10 minute walk to and from the park along a nicely landscaped path with Disney music piped in. The Hollywood is about another 10 minutes walk on a regular footpath next to the road.

Can I use my ICBC Union Pay bank card at ATM machines in Hong Kong? Can I use my bank card to pay for an onsite hotel? How about an off site hotel? Can I use my bank card to book a flight with Hong Kong Airlines?

I don't know anything about that bank or the associated cards. Is it affiliated with Visa or Mastercard? If not, you should be able to use it at ATMs to withdraw cash, but you won't be able to use it to book anything online. If that's the case, you might be best off booking your flights and accommodation in person through a local travel agent, as they should be able to accept your bank card. You could always try calling the airline and accommodation and asking if there's any way you can book without a credit card.

I have to repeat though, I'm no expert on the matter. Maybe someone who's a bit more local to the park will be able to shed some light on that one :confused3

I visited HK last March and became very familiar with the MTR. It looks like both of those offsite hotels are close to stations. Location alone, I'd suggest the Novotel Citygate in Tung Chung. From the Tung Chung station to Sunny Bay (station that connects with the Disney line) is only around 20 minutes if my memory serves me. The Tung Chung area is probably more convenient, there's a big mall, resturants, and the cable car to Ngong Ping.

I can't offer any advice on your other questions, but hopefully that helps you a little with your hotel search.

We love HKDL! I find it to be a very charming park.

The only hotels that are 'convenient' are the onsite ones. HKDL is very isolated and will take about an hour on the train to get in and out of the city. On the other hand, the train is great and very easy to navigate. If you really want to stay offsite, the most convenient hotels would be in Tung Chung, which is the end of the rail line that Disneyland is on. I think it took about 20 minutes on the train.

If you do end up staying in the city, none of them will really be any more or less convenient to Disneyland in the scheme of things. Just pick whichever hotel you like the look of best. I'd probably go with one a short walk from a train station, so you can just rely on the train for transport.

I have stayed at both onsite hotels and enjoyed both stays very much. If money is no option, I would always choose the HKDL Hotel for the more luxurious, adult feel. But the Hollywood Hotel was more than adequate, and we had a great view of the park. There is a free shuttle bus that services both onsite hotels, but I didn't feel like it was really required for the HKDL Hotel. It is only a 10 minute walk to and from the park along a nicely landscaped path with Disney music piped in. The Hollywood is about another 10 minutes walk on a regular footpath next to the road.

I don't know anything about that bank or the associated cards. Is it affiliated with Visa or Mastercard? If not, you should be able to use it at ATMs to withdraw cash, but you won't be able to use it to book anything online. If that's the case, you might be best off booking your flights and accommodation in person through a local travel agent, as they should be able to accept your bank card. You could always try calling the airline and accommodation and asking if there's any way you can book without a credit card.

I have to repeat though, I'm no expert on the matter. Maybe someone who's a bit more local to the park will be able to shed some light on that one :confused3

Thanks so much - that helps a lot! :goodvibes At least now I know what it might be like to stay off-site. I think I will investigate on site first - my second choice will be the Novotel Citigate. Of course the Disneyland Hotel would be my top pick. :cloud9:

The Union Pay card is the Chinese card - and ICBC one of the main banks in China. I have a feeling I may need to get out the visa and mastercard though to book some things - I'd just rather use my "debit".

I'm getting more and more excited as I am starting to plan. I haven't been to a Disney park in way too long!!

We stayed at the SkyCity Marriott and found it very convenient to Disneyland. We actually chose to stay at the Marriott vs. on site because of our Marriott status but also because (at the time - this was last year so it may have changed), but the Disney hotels only offered public space wifi and not in room wifi, which was a huge negative for us!

While the trains are super easy, the fact that that the Marriott offers free shuttles to the airport, big Buddha, and Disneyland is a HUGE plus. We would definitely stay there again!

We stayed at the SkyCity Marriott and found it very convenient to Disneyland. We actually chose to stay at the Marriott vs. on site because of our Marriott status but also because (at the time - this was last year so it may have changed), but the Disney hotels only offered public space wifi and not in room wifi, which was a huge negative for us!

While the trains are super easy, the fact that that the Marriott offers free shuttles to the airport, big Buddha, and Disneyland is a HUGE plus. We would definitely stay there again!

Thank you!:goodvibes That is good to know because I may be planning some more trips and I don't think I will want to stay onsite every time I go.

Thank you!:goodvibes That is good to know because I may be planning some more trips and I don't think I will want to stay onsite every time I go.

No problem! The Marriott's shuttle to HKDL is such a nice thing they offer! We loved it! Have fun!

Thanks for the info on the Marriott. We have reservations there for part of our time in HK and it's nice to know we've made a good choice. :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter