Solo trip

dischick87

Earning My Ears
So I’m thinking about going to Disneyland for about 2 days this summer depending on how much I get back from my tax returns. I won’t be staying on site as my sister lives 20 minutes away. My question is that I’ve never taken an Uber before and how reliable and trustworthy they are. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

Uber and Lyft are very popular in the area. I haven't needed to use one in the Disneyland area, but my daughter takes them all the time throughout southern CA and has said the Lyft drivers are generally less creepy than the Uber drivers. She tends to ride during the middle of the night or early morning hours when most people are asleep. I'm sure you'll be fine using either service during normal Disneyland hours.

FWIW, Lyft has higher standards for their drivers and their cars. They pay slightly more than Uber and while many drivers drive for both, I've had a few different Lyft drivers tell me that they wouldn't drive for Uber. Just something to keep in mind if you are worried about drivers, cars or insurance.

I did a solo trip last March and stayed at the Best Western on Harbour across from the entrance area for Disneyland, anyway I used Uber to get to and from John Wayne airport. It was easy and I had fantastic drivers. I used Uber again when I went to the D23 Expo with my husband.

Uber and Lyft are very popular in the area. I haven't needed to use one in the Disneyland area, but my daughter takes them all the time throughout southern CA and has said the Lyft drivers are generally less creepy than the Uber drivers. She tends to ride during the middle of the night or early morning hours when most people are asleep. I'm sure you'll be fine using either service during normal Disneyland hours.

FWIW, Lyft has higher standards for their drivers and their cars. They pay slightly more than Uber and while many drivers drive for both, I've had a few different Lyft drivers tell me that they wouldn't drive for Uber. Just something to keep in mind if you are worried about drivers, cars or insurance.

Thanks for the information I’ll have to look into Lyft to see what it’s about. I’ve heard of it but not as much as Uber.

I have used both Uber and Lyft to get around on my Disneyland vacations. I have not had trouble with either service and the drivers know the resort areas well.

A little late to replying :) I used Lyft for my first time in January, and loved it. Well, loved the first time. The second time wasn't enjoyable, but had nothing to do with Lyft itself. For this trip, I was travelling solo as a 30-something-year-old woman.

So, the first time was going from LGB to Best Western Stovall's on Katella. I got my bags from the carousel, then hopped on the app to "order" a Lyft. After confirming pick up and drop off locations on the app, it let me know my driver was 7-9 minutes away on Whatever Street, driving a whatever-colored, late-model-year, make, and model vehicle, and license plate identification. It gave me the driver's name, and even a picture of the car and the driver. Let's call my driver "Tom." He had a very nice SUV, clean, leather interior, general "easy-listening" on the radio, and loaded my luggage into his vehicle. He was in slacks and a short-sleeved button up shirt. It was clear this was a job for Tom, not just an "extra cash when I'm bored" deal. He had a "Lyft" sticker on the passenger side front window (some light up, others don't). I rode in the passenger rear seat. Tom was great! Nice conversation without being overly intrusive. For a 35 minute ride with a virtual stranger, my social anxiety was pretty bad, but Tom's personality was like that of a friend-of-a-friend or such; much more comfortable than I expected. While I was in Tom's car, there is a GPS going on the app of where exactly the car was, and when I was expected to arrive. You have the ability to have someone else monitor your ride via GPS as well. He was the best "first Lyft" experience driver.

Second time wasn't as great. It was a small car (a Hyundai something that lacked an adult-sized back seat) from the late 90s. No help getting my things into her trunk (that had enough stuff in the trunk already that I had to move to get my one suitcase in). She looked like she had just gotten up when she arrived at the hotel to pick me up--wrinkled muscle-tank, bra showing, hair thrown up without being brushed... And proceeded to tell me about her whole job history from 16 to 46 years old, her daughter's life situation (like personal details of "6 kids with 6 different dads" kind of things), her frustration with whatever was going on in the world, the fact that she's not paid enough to live on as a Lyft driver but she doesn't want to have a regular job and hates living with roommates, etc., without much of a 2-way conversation (but what could I have said other than "Oh, wow, I'm sorry," and such!). So, that wasn't the fault of Lyft, just an odd duck of a driver.

Would I do it again? Yup! I felt safe the whole time (even with Debbie Downer). Liked that I could follow our progress on the app, that my husband could watch the GPS on his own app, license plate identification, name, picture, etc. Oh, and you will get a discount for your first ride. With Lyft, it was $15 off my first ride, which meant LGB to Disneyland (about 35 minutes, give or take) was $8 (and then $23 for the second, non-discounted ride).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!