• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Solo in September

pamacme

Earning My Ears
I have been to Disney solo previously but never knew about this board. What do other solo travelers like to do while on site? I will be staying at one of the resorts.
TY

I'm going solo this weekend and I truly just love being able to change my plans on a whim. My last two visits were 5-night stays with my mom and brother respectively, and I felt so much pressure to make sure they had fun that I didn't have fun until my last few hours alone on departure day!

Some of my favorite moments alone have been strolling through the World Showcase at park open, eating popcorn and people watching in DHS by Echo Lake, and enjoying a cocktail at the Nomad Lounge bar or at La Cava del Tequila. Also, PhotoPass photos everywhere and meeting characters!! These are two of my DH's least favorite thing so of course they are high priority when I am solo. I ride rides too, but it's hard to get these simple moments when getting dragged around or feeling pressure to exceed your travel partners' expectations.

Pretty much the same thing I do when I visit with my son or his family. I go solo a lot, I actually have an upcoming solo trip the last week in August.

I get up when I want, usually walk around the resort before everyone is stirring. I spend more time watching shows when my son isn't there, he isn't a fan. I people watch a lot and take time to look at all the details, which I also do with my son. We have a very laid back WDW style, we aren't ride centric so don't rush from ride to ride, never have. We also don't make ADRs in advance, just day of while walking around. We once sat on a bench in front of Italy with refreshing adult beverages looking at all the details and ended up looking up the details on the statues. I do the same solo. Just about the only thing I do when I'm solo that I don't do when my son and/or his family are with me, is spend more time mid-afternoon in my room or the pool. My son likes to go to the pool but he doesn't really like to spend a lot of time in the room, I might take a mid-afternoon nap when solo.

Sleep in. Ride whatever I want twice. Take as much time to shop as I want without others getting frustrated with me. Try to hit every photographer spot as it’s rare to have “real” photos taken of myself. Eat whatever I want. Zone out in hotel room at night with an ice cold club soda next to me. Stay up super late after closing down the parks.

Eating and Drinking around the parks and resorts, and taking some time to relax. I know its Disney but you can take some time for yourself!

The best part about going solo is that you are on your schedule and not someone else's. You have to make park reservations, if you are going to go to the parks on a given day, so do that if you have not. Play around with Genie and see what things look like for your park on those days and decide if you want to fork over the $15 to get on a particular ride. I did that a few times last trip, but not every day. If the lines were to long I just went somewhere else. Spend more time shopping, doing shows and of course eating.

:welcome: to the DIS.

Going solo can be so much fun. I haven't been on a solo trip in a while, but I have been comtemplating one. One of my best solo experiences was a day where I had planned to go to an After Hours event at MK. I did a waterpark earlier in the day, then went over to the Monorail/Bay Lake resorts to explore and eat an early dinner. I rode the boats around the lake, all the way down to fort wilderness - one one ride I was the only passenger and the boat skipper serenaded me over the PA the whole way. It was so much fun!

I have been to Disney solo previously but never knew about this board. What do other solo travelers like to do while on site? I will be staying at one of the resorts.
TY
I like to take the long way. When going to EPCOT I take the bus to MK then the monorail.

I'll see how many different types of transportation I can take - all the boats on Seven Seas and Bay Lake, the Skyliner, the Friendship boat.

TY
I’ll be doing a solo in September as well 5-8th (wife and daughter couldn’t make it) I’m always up for meetups for solos!

I like to procrastinate. I could rope drop OR...I could sleep in, let the eager beavers get out the door and clog up the bus. Heck, I'll get there *eventually*. And I won't be crammed into a bus. Heck, maybe I'll be the only one ON the bus.
I'm on vacation. I want to be lazy.

Sleep in, hit the parks in the afternoons to evenings, ride a lot of boat transportation which I find very relaxing, usually make my way to the park via multiple modes of transport and destinations - if I'm staying at Saratoga Springs for example, I'll walk to Disney Springs, catch the bus to Wilderness Lodge, and take the boat to MK. Or walk to Disney Springs, take the bus to Caribbean Beach Resort, and the Skyliner to Hollywood Studios. Lots of relaxing with a nice drink, both alcohol and non, on a bench and people-watching. No Genies or Lightning Lanes - I'll wander around and decide whether to hop on a ride or not based on how reasonable the standby line is...I could end up doing 2 rides in a day, or 8...doesn't really matter.

I usually end up doing the parks rope drop to close, with park hopping the first few days. After that I'll sleep in, visit the pools or Disney Springs during the day, then head to the parks for the evening and fireworks.

One thing I like to do when I'm solo is to talk to CMs. I find them much more chatty when I'm solo. I've asked "That looks like a fun job!" "Why is your pin blue while all the others have red pins?" I don't remember the colors, just that his was a different color than everyone else's. Turns out it was because he'd gotten a special award, so he told me all about it. And the lady at the entrance to the Train to Rafiki's Planet Watch (the "fun" job) told me all about the advantages and disadvantages of her job. Also, one night when I was sitting in Sunshine Seasons and business was slow, a CM came over and kept me company while I ate. I asked about her job, and again, she told me all about it. But the best one was one day when I was at Rafiki's PW and a CM told me very quietly, "Don't tell anyone but Channel [don't remember] is here filming." And sure enough, they were!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter