So what food/restaurants lived up to the hype? C'mon in!

Spoodles well lived up to hype, Narcoosees had eaten there before but surf n turf was awesome as well as watching wishes from the observation deck. Boma, looong wait for seating but wel worth it ! soups and zebra domes....seasons did not live up to the hype for oriental cuisine fast I would rather eat at Lotus Blossom Cafe, then have dessert as Kringla Bakery. Their Cheesecake is out of this world!

I'm sorry, I have to disagree that Spoodles lives up to the hype. Yes, it all comes down to a matter of opinion. But, it just bugged my new bride and I that they do not list what comes in their food. We would have asked our waiter, but we could not ever find him and when we actually did see him, we couldn't understand him.

For my $.02 :

I preferred Bomas over Jikos. The food is good in both restaurants and yes, one is buffet the other sit-down. I just don't understand the 2TS per guest charge at Jikos. It was good but not fabulous. Definitely not the high star rating it advertises.

ps - I like the zebra domes well enough but would never rave about them either.

Chef Mickey's exceeded the hype by the greatest margin. We always go on Friday because that seems to be seafood night. We haven't had anything other than a fantastic experience there. Given it seems to be the whipping boy of the boards, I'm always worried when I take those traveling with us here. But the bad experience never materializes. My BIL put it this way.
"If someone could not find at least some food they liked here and didn't have fun, they were trying not to."
If you're looking for quiet, gourmet, and low key, this isn't the place.
'Ohana exceeded the hype. by the next greatest margin. It was taking it on the chin for a menu change. I too thought uh oh. But I went in determined to grade it for what it was rather than what it wasn't and what it was was still a great all around experience and nice food.
Crystal Palace Breakfast definitely lived up to the hype. Still the best one we've had. The dinner did not. It was disappointing. Breakfast is definitely the meal we're going to do here.
1900 Park Faire breakfast definitely lived up to the hype. 2nd best one we've had.
Spoodles definitely lived up to the hype. A fabulous meal. Menu changes seasonally. We got the calimari last time. Yummy stuff.
Maya Grill exceeded the hype. Another place that can get trashed on these boards. But you have to know going in what to order because it's not at all clear from the menu exactly what style you're going to get.
The Fillet was the best fillet we had on the property. Cooked perfectly to order and a great steak. The ribs were the same type that could be had nearly anywhere. Tangy, but not spicy. St. Louis style. Nothing special. But still good. The fish was very nicely done for what it was. It was a dry rub and on the well done side. I hate fish done that way and if you do too, don't get it. But I'm not going to grade them down for it. I will grade them down for not communicating that on their menu. The Duck was excellent. Not quite as spicy as I thought it was reading MD's review, but if you hate spice, don't get it. Otherwise, MMMM. Of the appetizers, the seafood margarita looks really good from the description. Resist the temptation. The other appetizers were all better. I got a seafood skillet which was out of this world. We got none of the bad and slow service others report. Ours was good.
California Grill for a wishes seating definitely lived up to the hype.

Dole whips were good but definitely did not live up to the hype. There's no way they could really.
Zebra Domes were good but definitely did not live up to the hype. There's no way they could really.
Le Cellier was very good and I give it my highest recommendation IF you're on the meal plan. If you're not I suggest you look for better value but it's still really good. But it did not live up to the hype. There is no way it could.

Boma seems to be a love it or hate it place. It vastly exceeded the hate hype but did not live up to the love hype for us. It's good food and a bit different. Those expecting a lot of difference will be a bit disappointed. Those that don't like different at all are not going to like it. The soups were the best part. The salads were just ok. Try them. They're different. The different sauces they had for the prime rib were fun. But the PR itself was better done over at CM's. And as a bread pudding junkie, I must say they had the absolute worst bread pudding. We will go back but we won't make a special effort to go there. When you're on the meal plan and you're at Animal Kingdom, it is a convenient trip to drive over to Boma and eat afterwards. But I won't be making any special trips over to the AKL other than that.

better than expected: Narcoossees!!! SO good! coral reef. gets bad reviews, but I loved it! chocolate wave is to die for! GF cafe. best mashed potatoes I have ever had!

what i expected:sci fi, 50's prime time, 1900 park fare

did NOT live up to expectations, or previous visits:le cellier: i just remember the soup being better, and my steak was cooked VERY wrong. tables SO close together! Captain Jacks: EW! this place was NOT GOOD except for the desseert (but seriously, how can you screw up dessert anyway? worst meal of the trip. :sad2:

What didn't you like about the Crystal Palace dinner? We have reservations for there and breakfast at Chef Mickey's. I'm wondering if I should try and switch?
What was so awful about Cap'n Jacks? What did you get?

captain jacks was just not good. IMO of course. my DH got the shrimp in lobster sauce, and he said the sauce tasted like nasty cheese sauce. i got the chicken pasta, and it was just.....ok...edible but not really good. he liked the clam chowder apetizer and i liked the dessert (I love anything chocolate...so they couldn't screw up!) but the food was just...eh...and teh atmosphere reminds me of a dirty old place, kinda weird...the service was excellent, the place was empty (surprise surprise) so we were taken care of as far as refills and the like...but the food....no...we won't be going back.:sad2:

I posted about Cap'n Jacks a month or so ago, and got great reviews, but most got the lobster. So that must be their big specialty. Do they have steak too? I'll have to go look at the menu again.

we went to lunch, so no lobster on the menu. even if we did like the food better, we really didn't like the atmosphere, so wouldn't go back anyway :confused3

Loved Le Cellier and Marrakesh :cloud9:

Fulton's -- never going back unless they get butter warmers :snooty:

We loved the Dole Whips but Ghiradelli's is #1. :)

What didn't you like about the Crystal Palace dinner? We have reservations for there and breakfast at Chef Mickey's. I'm wondering if I should try and switch?
What was so awful about Cap'n Jacks? What did you get?

We ate at the CP in Sept for dinner. We liked it and would do that again. Food was varied and good
We rarely do Mickey breakfasts so can't comment on that
We did dinner at Park Faire and was less than impressed. We won't be eating there any time soon.

How is Boma for breakfast? This will be our Sunday Breakfast and now I am concerned. Also, is Mama melrose's all that bad? Let's compare it to the Olive garden Better? the same? or worse? We are using it for the Fantasmic package we will be there 3/19 to 3/27.

We are not picky people and enjoy most restaurants. Le Cellier, CA Grill, CP breakfast, and Spoodles really lived up to the hype.

Disappointments: Rose & Crown and Brown Derby! :mad:

Family is not into sauces , fancy smancy etc. Looking at the menus I chose restaurants that had plain simple stuff available at least. Me I love seafood but none ofthe others will eat it Thanks to DD!!No chinese (which I love) and forget all other countries cuisine with 1 exception Mexican everyone loves that.Can't wait to try all the restaurants and do my reviesws. I have a thread on my adrs check it out and comment!!

We enjoyed Boma for breakfast, lots of good choices and nothing too strange. Dole Whip lives up to the hype for me, I love pineapple and vanilla ice cream - if you don't, then it won't be a good fit for you. Earl of Sandwich is underrated for quality and value. Cosmic Ray's is much better than Casey's or Pecos Bill's in my opinion, great options and awesome condiment bar. Yeah, you might have to get in a few different lines, but at least we can all find something we like. Can't wait to try zebra domes and school bread!!! :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter