So, I had a thought...imagine if when you booked an ADR

I change my mind too much. Most likely I would avoid more than a few must-have TS places if I had to deal with this kind of inflexibility.

Last trip, I had a Homecoming ADR I booked after feedback from the group. While there, I realized that nobody (other than me) really wanted fried chicken (too many health nuts lol!). So I cancelled it a couple of days before and we went to Yak & Yeti instead (which the whole party loved).

We make 2 or 3 ADR around 180 days out if we know somewhere we really want to go. Beaches & Cream is a must ADR for us at 10:30 pm one night. And we also try to get one for breakfast that are hard to get like the castle or Norway. Most of the time we decide the day before or in the morning. There are so many places we like it's easy to find something.

We'd be ok. We book ours about 24 hours in advance already. Or even more often, open the app when we are starting to get hungry and see what looks good from what's available. So we rarely change or cancel our ADR

it could not be cancelled ....
You had to stick with your first booked reservation; like your first answer in a quiz show

The horror!!

How would this impact upon you?

I'd not do any TS.
WDW makes too many changes for me to be "locked in" too far out.

If they ever go back to old FP system and faithfully share and maintain park hours well 7+ months in advance, I'll stop my hoarding.

We'd be ok. We book ours about 24 hours in advance already. Or even more often, open the app when we are starting to get hungry and see what looks good from what's available. So we rarely change or cancel our ADR

As a party of 8 (minimum) this would never work for more desirable locations.

but that's not the question :)
As I mentioned, I won't change my mind for any ADR if Disney didn't change their scheduling-mind.

I only make changes because Disney has made changes.

More plainly, I follow the rule established by the OP - I do not cancel my ADR, I "stick with my first booked reservation," (as long as Disney sticks with their schedule).

I'm 90 odd days out and couldn't answer this thread initially because I was in the midst of changing our Cirque du Soleil tickets and of course the associated ADRs:tongue:.

I'm not really worrying about whether others have to wait a bit for me to throw back an ADR since it's an industry norm for restaurants that accept reservations, and I give notice of my intentions on the appropriate month's cancelled ADR thread so other people here can take advantage.
Finally, if special event menus were released at the same time that ressie were accepted I wouldn't have to book 2 separate ADRs for the same day and restaurant;).

That's most amusing. :rotfl2:
Thank youuuuuuuu cuz I need something to laugh at right about now. It took exactly 1 hour, 50 minutes and 7 seconds to accomplish this feat according to my phone log with most of the time dedicated to changing the tickets via the event telephone line. I now know allll the words to "A Pirate's Life for Me" ......

Thank youuuuuuuu cuz I need something to laugh at right about now. It took exactly 1 hour, 50 minutes and 7 seconds to accomplish this feat according to my phone log with most of the time dedicated to changing the tickets via the event telephone line. I now know allll the words to "A Pirate's Life for Me" ......

Oh my!

A pirates life will be your small world tune :rainbow:

I only change if I couldn't get the exact timing I wanted to begin with and happen to find the time I wanted later.
Other than that I don't generally mess with my ADR's. I decide where I want to eat. I make the ADR. I go to my ADR.
So really it would not be a horror to me.
This is us too.
We agonize before our 180?window. We discuss, debate and decide. Once we make our ADR's We seldom need to change.
I abhor hoarding.

I wouldn't like it. Everyone has the right to change their mind.
We are still debating if we want to change where we are going tomorrow night here at home!

This trip we made ADR's and then a few things happened:

Disney gave us later hours at Animal Kingdom - we cancelled an earlier dinner and changed to a later one.
A few people read menus (even though they told me that had...ahem...) and decided they would be happier somewhere else for dinner one night - we changed restaurants that night to suit everyone.
Breakfast - we could not decide what morning we wanted to do a sit down breakfast - changed this one twice.

I think now we are done. :)

I don't have too much of an opinion on this particular question but I do believe there has to be some degree of flexibility built into the trip.

However, would it make less of an issue for those against it if say you could change your ADR plans a set number of times before needing to call? A poster did mention that now that they can do things themselves (and I am like that myself in that my preference is to do things myself if I can) it adjusted how they do ADRs. I wouldn't think a requirement for calling would deter all guests but it may make it just ever so slightly less desirable.

As I mentioned, I won't change my mind for any ADR if Disney didn't change their scheduling-mind.

I only make changes because Disney has made changes.

More plainly, I follow the rule established by the OP - I do not cancel my ADR, I "stick with my first booked reservation," (as long as Disney sticks with their schedule).

But what if you couldn't? As the topic posed.......:) nothing else was different......and go....

I would hate it. WE book multiple ADRS throught the trip because my family enjoys at least one TS meals a day. I spend a lot of time before my 180 day window planning park days and dining options, and come that morning I book. But I have to tell you, Disney makes a lot of changes lately that make it very hard to stick with the original plan. I never used to have a "backup" plan, and never needed to make changes, but now? Its a mess on DIsney's part. I never change dinner based on a FP, but make my FP around our meals so I do not have "extra" JIC ADR's in place. I do try to figure out what the hours will be, but the last trip was a nightmare in that aspect.

If DIsney played by their own rules this question may not need to ever be asked.

When I say multiple ADR's I do not mean the "hoarding" of restaurants. I do mean I make a lot of changes as circumstances change and that is because we do like at least one meal that is booked a day, and sometimes 2

I don't see anything wrong with making changes as need be, but the people who have multiple accounts and hoard reservations until 20 minutes before are just not nice in my opinion.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!