Slightly Confused On Booking/Payment Policies

sunny_stace

DIS Veteran
Hi Everyone!

My DBFF and I are looking into taking a trip to Universal this coming spring, however it has been 10+ years since either of us have been there and neither of us has ever stayed on-site. I was looking at pricing on their website and thought I should take a look at the terms & conditions just to see what we may be getting into before we lock-in to anything, just in case! As I'm not familiar with their systems or rules or policies, I just want to ensure I'm understanding what I read and not muddling it all up!

I'm seeing that a $50 per person deposit is required at the time of booking, and it seems as though payment in full is required 45 days in advance of your travel dates; I also see that any attraction tickets (or airfare if purchased) are non-refundable. Another thing I see is the "revision" fee that is assessed if you make any changes before your stay after you have put down the deposit or payment.

What I'm unclear on is whether or not you are able to cancel (at least the hotel if not a whole package with no airfare) with no penalty if need be before you make the final payment. I know that they have the cancellation protection plan, so I'm just curious on whether or not you need to purchase that instead if there is any reason you may need to cancel or make changes? I understand that these aren't anything unusual for any company, I just want to be clear on the fine print before I start charging up the ol' credit card! :rolleyes:

For any of you out there who book with/stay at/travel to Universal often, do you book a package or do you book each part (hotel room, tickets, airfare) separately? Do you book well in advance or closer to your travel dates? If you're staying at a resort that offers the express pass/early entry (which we hope to), do those still apply if you purchase your tickets separately and not in a package?

I'm just so unclear on all of the policies and specifics that I'm hoping for some tips and advice anyone might be able to share! Thank you everyone in advance for any insight or knowledge! :thanks:

Thanks!

Last edited:
I book room-only with tickets separate. I don’t want to bother with change fees and all that nonsense.

And yes. Early entrance and unlimited EP go with the hotel, not with the method of booking. Book the hotel ANY way and you get the perks of the hotel.

Also, packages often seem to indicate you get 3 broomsticks and leaky cauldron with them. You’re paying for them. And making that package has you make reservations for the restaurants, but those restaurants are quick service and don’t do reservations.

I book the hotel as room only...as others have said. less fuss.
Express Pass (at RPR, HRH and PBH) and Early Entry come with the hotel booking and are not dependent on booking a package.
I try to book the hotel as early as possible to get the best price - if some special comes up, it can always be rebooked at the better rate.

I get my tickets through Undercover Tourist using the Mousesavers Newsletter link - best deal.
I usually wait a bit longer to get these (for me this is usually based on CDN to US $ exchange rates).

Agreed with everyone- we book the hotel separately and then you have no cost to change or cancel up to 3 days before your stay. I book when I see a price I’m willing to pay and then keep checking back for better prices.

From our comparison the packages didn’t save any money (well once it would have been $10 cheaper) and co e with a lot more upfront costs and cancellation risks.

Thank you everyone so much for your insight! I'm glad that I was actually understanding what I was reading (it was well past my bedtime!) and we are definitely going to book all of the elements separately. The more I read, and the more lovely advice I find here definitely cements that choice in my mind!

I get my tickets through Undercover Tourist using the Mousesavers Newsletter link - best deal.
I usually wait a bit longer to get these (for me this is usually based on CDN to US $ exchange rates).

This is a FANTASTIC tip! Thanks! We are Canadian too and the exchange rate makes such an impact on everything! I keep waiting for the dollar to perk up a little before I even put the deposit down...After two Disney trips this fall with a crummy dollar I'm honestly dragging my feet more on bookings.

Last edited:
Thank you everyone so much for your insight! I'm glad that I was actually understanding what I was reading (it was well past my bedtime!) and we are definitely going to book all of the elements separately. The more I read, and the more lovely advice I find here definitely cements that choice in my mind!

This is a FANTASTIC tip! Thanks! We are Canadian too and the exchange rate makes such an impact on everything! I keep waiting for the dollar to per up a little before I even put the deposit down...After two Disney trips this fall with a crummy dollar I'm honestly dragging my feet more on bookings.

Stacy, last vacation (a week ago) we used Air Miles to get 3 Universal tickets and 3 WDW tickets. It's worth the time. Took me a year to save up, but sure was worth it.

Check out this thread https://www.disboards.com/threads/airmiles-alert-current-weeks-offers-start-on-page-423.3442770/ for great tips.

Stacy, last vacation (a week ago) we used Air Miles to get 3 Universal tickets and 3 WDW tickets. It's worth the time. Took me a year to save up, but sure was worth it.

Check out this thread https://www.disboards.com/threads/airmiles-alert-current-weeks-offers-start-on-page-423.3442770/ for great tips.

Another fabulous tip!! Thanks! I don't think I've actually used my Air Miles for anything in at least 5 years so this might be an option if they're offered! Thank you also for the thread recommendation, I will look it over! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter