Disney Skyliner (Gondola Transportation System) Read Post 1 Now Open!

The Emirates Air Line gondola in London does shut down for lightning and high winds, according to their web site. Of course, they run 300 feet above the Thames, far higher than Disney's system is likely to climb.

From what I've read, the more expensive 3-rope systems are suitable for high-wind conditions, but one would think the more swing-worthy single-rope systems are less so.

Are gondolas the same as ski lifts?
Not exactly - gondolas are enclosed, while "ski lifts" are open air.
Will they be closed in? Safe for a 1 year old?
Of course it will
Will it cause room rates to increase at CBR, POP and AoA?
More than likely yes, but since rates go up every year anyways it may not be noticeable. I don't think it would be a lot.
Tell me everything you know about them!
Sorry - but I say 'read the thread' at this point.
Our next visit is November 2018
Unlikely to be in place by then.
Gondolas are a type of ski lift. The main differentiation is gondolas' closed cabins as opposed to open-faced chair lifts.

Yeah, it's a ski-lift type ride, not enclosed like the one at WDW will be. I also saw an article today saying the girl was at fault for this happening.

Of course she was. There are many Ski-lifts that have no lap bar at all, or a completely manual one. I am pretty sure the lift at Knoebels is completely manual with no latch of any kind.

Are gondolas the same as ski lifts?
Not exactly - gondolas are enclosed, while "ski lifts" are open air.
You must go skiing on the bunny slope because most of the major ski resorts in the Northeast and in the West as well as in Europe have Gondola Lifts that are completely enclosed. Very much like what is being proposed for Disney. You're thinking about chairlifts which are open air and only used for shorter lift lines.

You must go skiing on the bunny slope because most of the major ski resorts in the Northeast and in the West as well as in Europe have Gondola Lifts that are completely enclosed. Very much like what is being proposed for Disney. You're thinking about chairlifts which are open air and only used for shorter lift lines.
I don't ski, but I've been looking at the promo videos posted by Doppelmayer on YouTube.

They are still very much developing and marketing chairs as well as gondolas. I believe I saw one that seated 8 across. The latest models are equipped with transparent bubbles that can flip down to cover the riders in bad weather.

Many of their videos show chairlifts and gondolas operating side by side on the same slope, and sometimes using the same station. There was even one posted recently that had chairs and gondolas running on the same rope.

Edit: This video shows a combined 8-seat chair and 10-passenger (tight squeeze!) gondola system running on a single rope. It's fascinating how the system apparently switches the gondolas & chairs onto separate loading platforms in the same station.

Last edited:

I guess I equal ski lifts to chair lifts. But yeah, gondolas are also ski lifts.

At least half this thread is arguing semantics.

I guess I equal ski lifts to chair lifts. But yeah, gondolas are also ski lifts.

At least half this thread is arguing semantics.

There's a logic problem in here somewhere. All ski lifts are gondolas but not all gondolas are ski lifts, is that the right way around? Now I've gone and confused myself again.

There's a logic problem in here somewhere. All ski lifts are gondolas but not all gondolas are ski lifts, is that the right way around? Now I've gone and confused myself again.
The former is false; the latter is true.

Not all ski lifts are gondolas, as chair lifts are also ski lifts.

Not all gondolas are ski lifts, as gondolas are also used as urban transport and as tourist attractions. But you could say that ski lifts are the most common use, and the use with which gondolas are most associated.

The former is false; the latter is true.

Not all ski lifts are gondolas, as chair lifts are also ski lifts.

Not all gondolas are ski lifts, as gondolas are also used as urban transport and as tourist attractions. But you could say that ski lifts are the most common use, and the use with which gondolas are most associated.

This+_bc4cffb87d158f0c167ff488efec3dbe.png

I think the one thing you can say is a "gondola" is an enclosed overhead transport device. UNLESS you are talking about the boats in Venice - which are also called gondolas.

"Ski Lifts" can either be "Chair" or "Gondola" style.
"Gondolas" can be either "ski lifts" or have other uses.

"Gondolas" are also a form of "cable car". Though large "cable cars" are not considered "Gondolas".

That clears it up, right?

So they're cable cars?
Yes, in the general sense, because they are suspended from and, more importantly, propelled by a moving cable.

But the term "cable car", in the context of aerial transportation, usually refers to an aerial tramway, which is a large cabin (up to 200 riders) permanently attached to a moving cable and supported by one or more fixed cables. The propulsion cable stops when the cabin arrives at the station, and then moves in the opposite direction when the cabin departs.

Gondolas, OTOH, are propelled by a constantly moving cable. They may be supported by the same cable, or by one or two adjacent stationary cables. When the cabin arrives at the station, the gondola detaches from the propulsion cable, and is propelled thru the station either by rotating tires or a chain. As many cabins as can fit on the cables can be used; the cabins usually hold 4-10 riders on single cable systems, more on systems with separate support cables.

Now I'm picturing chair lifts at the Disney parks. :eek: (eta ;) I was not serious.)

Is it widely assumed that there will be more info about this at D23?

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter