Disney Skyliner (Gondola Transportation System) Read Post 1 Now Open!

I get a kick out of the, 'no air conditioning people gonna die' crowd. It is no different than the present parking lot trams, rides, or oh walking around the parks with the sun shining on them.

I get a kick out of the, 'no air conditioning people gonna die' crowd. It is no different than the present parking lot trams, rides, or oh walking around the parks with the sun shining on them.
It is way different.

Parking lot trams are not enclosed, so there is air flow. They are no different than sitting outside in the shade when still.

These are enclosed. If these stop on the line on a sunny summer day they would be like sitting in a parked car with the windows cracked slightly. On a hot day a car in the sun even with windows cracked can get dangerously hot. There's a reason it is illegal to leave a child or pet in a car and why it is legal to break the window of a car in Florida if you see someone has left their child or pet inside.

It is way different.

Parking lot trams are not enclosed, so there is air flow. They are no different than sitting outside in the shade when still.

These are enclosed. If these stop on the line on a sunny summer day they would be like sitting in a parked car with the windows cracked slightly. On a hot day a car in the sun even with windows cracked can get dangerously hot. There's a reason it is illegal to leave a child or pet in a car and why it is legal to break the window of a car in Florida if you see someone has left their child or pet inside.
These are going to have air flow. How exactly they will do it has yet to be seen. You also likely won't be in a gondola for much more than 10 minutes. From DHS or AoA you will have to transfer to a different gondola at the CBR station. The longest ride will be from CBR to Epcot.

It is way different.

They don't stop; they're always moving. So it's more like riding in a car (albeit slowly) with the windows open (not cracked slightly). If power goes out, the backup generators will get them moving again within a few minutes.

They don't stop; they're always moving. So it's more like riding in a car (albeit slowly) with the windows open (not cracked slightly). If power goes out, the backup generators will get them moving again within a few minutes.
They don't stop...in normal operation. But rides break down all the time, even seemingly simple ones. That would be my main concern.

Are these really going to need two years? Other than Galaxy's Edge, is there anything that would motivate them to finish sooner? What is the estimated opening timeframe for the new DVC?

Are these really going to need two years? Other than Galaxy's Edge, is there anything that would motivate them to finish sooner? What is the estimated opening timeframe for the new DVC?
They don't need 2 years; new gondola lifts usually take about a year to put up. Speculation here has been that Disney will delay opening until construction on the Riviera Resort is substantially complete, to avoid conflict between the cable line and construction activities.

I have to disagree on this one.

I live in SOFL where the current temp right now is 95 degrees. If I went in my car and cracked the windows like vents (supposedly like what the gondolas will have) I would die. Wouldn't last more than 5 minutes.

Could they possibly install a fan in each gondola to move airflow around? That would work to get the air flowing and moving faster.

I live in SOFL where the current temp right now is 95 degrees. If I went in my car and cracked the windows like vents (supposedly like what the gondolas will have) I would die. Wouldn't last more than 5 minutes.

Could they possibly install a fan in each gondola to move airflow around? That would work to get the air flowing and moving faster.
Nobody knows what the cabins will be like -- maybe not even Disney, if they haven't finalized the order yet. Doppelmayr says the cabins are customizable, so looking at existing installations isn't an indication. We know that there are systems out there with full climate control, ones with vents, and ones with openable windows. If they do have vents or windows, they will likely be on the ends of the cabins facing the direction of travel, so air will be forced in just by the movement of the cabin, unlike your car where the windows are on the sides. Certainly fans would be a possibility.

They don't stop...in normal operation. But rides break down all the time, even seemingly simple ones. That would be my main concern.
Sure, things break. But power outage isn't a problem, because backup generators can come online in under a minute. Doppelmayr's literature says there are multiple backup systems that can bring all cabins into a station in case of a failure.

As to mechanical breakdowns, these aren't custom fabricated rides. They're off-the-shelf technology in use in dozens, if not hundreds, of places around the world. I haven't seen any MTBF data, but I would expect the failure rate to be quite low. Searching Google, I could only find 1 report of a monocable detachable lift getting stuck.

Last edited:
Nobody knows what the cabins will be like -- maybe not even Disney, if they haven't finalized the order yet. Doppelmayr says the cabins are customizable, so looking at existing installations isn't an indication. We know that there are systems out there with full climate control, ones with vents, and ones with openable windows. If they do have vents or windows, they will likely be on the ends of the cabins facing the direction of travel, so air will be forced in just by the movement of the cabin, unlike your car where the windows are on the sides. Certainly fans would be a possibility.

This is very true. We are all guessing until there is a confirmation from Disney what type it will be.

If you watch the videos of the gondolas from Singapore they do have fans in them and I did ask one of the YouTube uploaders about their being no A/C and he said yes they do get hot.

Perfect timing. Just reading this morning of the folks rescued from cable cars in Germany. Can not wait.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/07/31/europe/cologne-cable-car-accident/index.html

Those are pretty old cable cars (1960s-70s). They are not like the ones Disney will be getting.

First thing I saw when I opened computer. I don't think the point is the age, the point is the difficulty in evacuation of these things. Disney can barely evac the monorail in a timely manner. No matter the age or maintenance (monorails are under constant maintenance) things happen. No reason to diminish concerns with what happens if these things stop.

First thing I saw when I opened computer. I don't think the point is the age, the point is the difficulty in evacuation of these things. Disney can barely evac the monorail in a timely manner. No matter the age or maintenance (monorails are under constant maintenance) things happen. No reason to diminish concerns with what happens if these things stop.
You don't think Disney will have a plan for these like they do with the monorails? I have no doubt Disney and Reedy Creek will have a good evacuation plan. I don't see any reason for immediate concerns about that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!