"Skycapping" bags - rental car return - MCO

mittelst

Mouseketeer
Hi - I know of folks who drop off a member of their party at MCO "departures" so they may check the bags with the skycap, while they (the driver) return the rental car. I am the only adult travelling in an upcoming trip. Can I do the following?:
- Go to "departures" and check bags with skycap.
- Get back in the rental car and return it.

Also, it it pretty straight forward to get to the National car return from the "departures" area?

Thanks!

mittelst said:
Hi - I know of folks who drop off a member of their party at MCO "departures" so they may check the bags with the skycap, while they (the driver) return the rental car. I am the only adult travelling in an upcoming trip. Can I do the following?:
- Go to "departures" and check bags with skycap.
- Get back in the rental car and return it.

Also, it it pretty straight forward to get to the National car return from the "departures" area?

Thanks!
You can do this only if it is not terribly busy at the departure area. They tend to make you move quickly.
Yes, it is very straight forward to get to National from the departure area.
They do have those smart carts and sky caps in the return area of National.
That might be bit easier if it is crowded.

Yes, you probably can but leave enough time in case it dosen't work out.

My dh does this every time he flies and rents a car, even when he is by himself. He just pulls over and "live parks the rental" within sight of the sky cab section. He then checks in with the skycab, makes sure the luggage is properly tagged and on the cart before he heads off to the rental car return. This way he can hop on the rental car shuttle with just his carryon.

He travels from Philly all over the country for business and (knock wood) he hasn't ever had a problem. He does occasionally have to wait for a space close to the skycab check in area but its worth the wait. Honestly I think if that wern't an option he would short term park, check his checked bags in and then return to the rental car place. He also arrives at the airport early for his flights, at least 2 hours prior sometimes more depending on the airport and the airline.

TJ

I flew home a week ago Friday by myself and they gave me a hard time about leaving the car sit at the curb while the skycap took care of the luggage (Southwest). The skycap said to go stand by the car and he would bring the paperwork to me but a cop started yelling at me. Luckily some people left and I moved the car up to right in front of the Southwest curbside and the skycap handed me the papers.

It looks like trying to skycap at "departures" might be stressful for me. I think I'll drive directly to rental car return, and look for a skycap there.

Thanks!

We always go curbside for baggage check-in. However, I always stay with the bags while DH takes the car back to National. On our last trip two weeks ago we were traveling with two friends....they also stayed at curbside check-in with me. I had forgotten to take a liquid out of my bag (which I was carrying on) so, our luggage had been tagged and on the cart already, but, I proceeded to go to the cart and put the container which I had already wrapped in plastic, but, just forgot to put in checked baggage into my bags which were to be checked. I was very surprised no one stopped me from approaching those bags (other peoples bags were also on the cart, but, ours were on top). I always stay outside and watch until the cart goes inside to the screeners, but, just a word of caution........those carts are not watched that closely........I could have been anyone attempting to put something into( or for that matter taken something out) a checked bag while it sat curbside, so , please make sure someone from your party stays with your bags until they are taken safely inside for screening.

mittelst said:
It looks like trying to skycap at "departures" might be stressful for me. I think I'll drive directly to rental car return, and look for a skycap there.

Thanks!

If you need a skycap the attendant in the rental car garage can use the page system to call you one.

We did this on our last trip... check the luggage curbside and the drove back around to drop off the car. No one gave us a any problem while we were checking the luggage.

If you do this just make sure you carefully follow the signs when you go to drop off your car... I almost missed the entrance to get to the National drop off.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter