Skippers Canteen recommendations?

mickeysgirl17

Wish I was at Disney
My kids and I have a dinner ADR in December. We are not very adventurous eaters but this is the only restaurant in MK I haven't tried and want to cross it off my list. What is good on the menu?

The vegetable curry may not be for you but just wanted to say it was delicious! My DD has the steak salad. That’s pretty safe .

Stay Away..... I am not a fan of Skipper's. Limited menu with a lot of spicy food IMHO.

Only been there once, but it was Monday. We had the Shu Mai, the cachapas and the steak salad. We thought all were excellent. Ironically, given the post I am following, our one criticism was that everything could have used a tad, but just a tad, more seasoning--but I suppose it makes sense that they would be bringing things for a mass market. We thought it was a solid dining experience--although we may be a bit biased by the fact that they brought us free cake because we still had our happy anniversary buttons on.

When you go please give us a review. Skipper's is one of the few restaurants we have never eaten at as well. I am curious about their menus as well for anther reason, the older I get the more kosher I tend to keep.

Curious when this restaurant opened. I don’t remember it but haven’t been there since 2014.

I have eaten there twice and don’t consider myself an adventurous eater. The first time I had the pasta, which was good. The spice in it isn’t hot, but does give the dish a taste akin to chili. The second time I had the Tastes Like Chicken, which was also good. It was also not very spicy in a hot way, but tasted like good Chinese take out.

I agree with a PP that the whole fried fish is wonderful. Not spicy or hot. Just tender. The presentation is likely way too strange for many. But if you can get over that (or embrace it!) then it's a great fresh fish dish. Easy to eat. Take your fork and pull away at the meat.

I am trying to make my way through the menu here but the last two times I've been, I had to get the sustainable fish. It has been snapper both times I've ordered it so it's a mild white fish that is perfectly cooked (slightly crispy skin) & seasoned. And ask for a spoon for the broth because it is really good as well!

I had an unfortunate experience there during my first visit last year & ordered the vegetable curry which was barely warm & the 'sauce' was watery & tasteless. I also had the falafel that someone had dumped a bunch of coarse salt on before serving it to me & I could barely get it down. I'd be willing to give both another chance though as I keep reading really good reviews & also I could've said something about the food to have it fixed which I did not that visit. Next on my list to try is the chicken & the steak salad!

If anyone has tried the hot & sour soup, I'd be curious to hear how it is as well. I do like hot & sour soup but I find it can really vary from restaurant to restaurant as far as ingredients, textures & taste.

Last edited:
I just went in November and am not an adventurous eater, nor do I like spice. I am also weird where I love fish, but won't eat it in a theme park restaurant. I got the noodle salad as an appetizer which was really good, but had a little bit of a kick so I didn't finish it all. For my entree I had the Taste Like Chicken with the chili sauce on the side. It was really good, although I wasn't too hungry but I would get it again. For Dessert I tried the Bahn Bong Lan Cake to-go, I wasn't a fan of this, but I didn't really like many of the options and we had the Dining Plan.

The food was decent, our waitress and service was terrible. What should have been an hour meal tops (we walked in and knew exactly what we wanted) turned into an hour and 45 minutes because we saw our waitress maybe once every 15 minutes or so. We would see the waitress for the table next to us about 5 times for every once we saw our waitress. For that reason I am hesitant to return. I would if there wasn't anywhere else I wanted to eat. However, I suggest going once because the atmosphere is pretty unique as well.

I got both the Shu Mai and the Cachapas when I went as well as a side of plantains and the Kungaloosh dessert. I enjoyed absolutely everything; nothing was too spicy and this was a lot of food for one person. The special juice they have isn't anything special though and I wish the staff had told MORE terrible jokes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!