Single Mom's and Dads~ How do you...

luvmy2boyzz

feel the fear and do it anyway...
make Disney your own?

I'm intrigued with the thought of a solo trip with both my boys off to college this fall. But... Disney has always been "our" thing. Our happy place. How do you transition to making it "your" thing?

I'm afraid I'll be a hot mess going through the parks reminiscing about everything all by myself :sad:

I have been a single mom for two years now. I have 4 kids ages 12-18 and am starting to worry about being an empty-nester already. My kids have been the center my world for so long. I don't want to be that mom with no life of my own that only lived through her kids. I feel like that's my mama. I love her dearly, but her kids are her hobby and she's a bit of a busybody. So I'm excited that I'm taking my first Disney trip without the kids next month. I too worry a little bit that I'll miss the kids, but I think it will be good for me at the same time.

So I don't have any great advice at this point, but I feel you! I am sure you will have a great time. Buy a little something for each of the boys and send it to them and let them know you thought of them on your solo trip. Good luck!

DW and I liked Disney for ourselves even making dating day trip to WDW before we were married.
We found things inside and outside the parks that are more adult themed.
Depending upon what you are into:
sports: golf, mini-golf, fishing, marathon, bowling, ESPN Club, WWS/ESPN Zone, etc
shopping: DTD, area outlet malls, large scale malls
drinking: Jellyrolls, Raglan Road, monorail tour of resorts, walking tour of resorts in the Boardwalk area
movies: DTD 24 screen theater some with meals served by waiters
night clubbing: Jellyrolls, Atlantic Dance, Raglan Road, Citywalk
resort tours: monorail tour of resorts, Boardwalk around the lake tour of resorts, horse drawn tour of FWC, AKL/AKV
offsite: Gaylord Palms Resort, Citywalk, swamp tour
eating: Formal GF 5* Chef's Table @ V&As
Start finding things you like to do but forgot about due to the kids and maybe find new things of interest.

But see that's the thing, you get to go through the parks reminiscing about everything all by yourself! The slightest little things are going to jog your memory of your time together......embrace them as something so wonderfully positive! That you were able to spend time with them in the happiest place on Earth!

Your time with your boys in Disney are not over, there will be more. And just imagine the next time you are all there again you will be able to say "Hey I have to show you guys this and that!" still being able to teach and guide them! You are so very fortunate that you were able to take them to Disney as many times as you have!

How about planning your next trip together like for when they graduate!

Good Luck!

Do everything that interests you or things you like. I bet, just like the rest of us, there where things you would have loved to do but did not because of the kids. Make it a new vacation by NOT doing the things you did with them just because of the memories, do them only if you really want to. Focus on seeing the extras in the parks, the stuff that our kids roll their eyes at if we point them out. You can make it yours by remembering what you enjoyed before kids and doing things you did not have a chance to do.

Mine is getting up and out without worring about anyone else - whatevery time that maybe, NOT riding the teacups!, going/seeing everything I could not with my daughter (that is 95% of the parks), relaxing and enjoying the park for everything they are - not just rides, and eating where/what I want without worring about there being something for others to eat or how long it takes.

Have a great trip!

My son is very much a Mama's boy and will proudly admit it, I've been taking him every other year since he was almost 3, he is 37 now. The past few years we have been going every year and the last 4 years I've been taking at least one solo trip a year. I've seen him go through all phases of his life at Disney, we took a girlfriend of his and later introduced his wife to the fun of Disney as an adult. They are divorced now so it's back to the two of us. My first solo trip I felt a little guilty since I had never been without him but it didn't take long for me to discover the joys of a solo trip. They are just two different trips, solo you do what you want, when you want. Even as an adult I still defer to what he wants to do so being able to do what I want is fun. I might be lucky in that we have been going since he has been an adult so the childhood memories are faded.

When my DW and I have gone alone without the kids, they request a detailed trip report and tons of photos - specifically of any new rides or changes to the parks that have happened since the last time they were there. You could do something like that if you think they would appreciate it. Or visit places and resorts that you've never been to together, take lots of photos, and plan for them to join you next time so you can show them the magic they missed. I can understand not wanting to go alone, so try to find a friend to go with you.

make Disney your own?

I'm intrigued with the thought of a solo trip with both my boys off to college this fall. But... Disney has always been "our" thing. Our happy place. How do you transition to making it "your" thing?

I'm afraid I'll be a hot mess going through the parks reminiscing about everything all by myself :sad:

Disney has been DD (18) and my special place since she was 4. We've go on multiple trips a year and most of these have been just the two of us. In Sept. she's off to college ( :sad1: ). So, our normal trip schedule will definitely be affected. Oct/Nov 2015 I took my first solo trip. We kept in constant contact, though. I sent lots of texts with pics about what I was doing. It helped ease my sadness that she wasn't there. I managed it ok and actually took a second solo trip last Oct/Nov, too. This year to combat my sadness of her being off to college, I booked two fall trips! One again for the end of Oct/Nov. and then one to see all the Christmas decorations in mid December. I find that you're so busy, you don't have time to feel sad about anything. I actually found myself thinking at times on our July trip about how when I come back in the fall by myself I'm going to do this or that. I like spending time outside the parks hotel hoping. DD isn't into that, not even at Christmas with all those beautiful decorations. So, I think about how I'm looking forward to doing that on my solo trip.

Chiming in to agree that you should think of it as two different kinds of trips! I'd done the Disney parks solo a lot during my time in the College Program, on my days off, to the point where I wasn't sure I'd enjoy them by myself anymore for having seen and done "everything." Then my mom and I went on a trip together in 2015 and while I had a blast, I also caught myself thinking about coming back solo and all the things I'd do if I were on my own. Both types of trips can be wonderful, and now I'm tentatively pricing out both a solo trip and a trip to take my housemate down and show her the World for the first time (after she shows me Disneyland for the first time - she was a west coast kid), and I can't decide which sounds more fun to me.

Do the things you always passed up. Take the time to enjoy the atmosphere, the shows, and special events. Read up on special dining shows at the resorts and treat yourself to one -- we did Hoop Dee Doo for the first time on that 2015 trip and it showed me that I am much farther than I thought from having seen "everything" WDW has to offer. Consider going on a behind the scenes tour, or going to afternoon tea at the Grand Floridian. There are tons of things to do that you may never have noticed, and you can take those things and make them your own, and when you next travel with your boys you'll have all kinds of new things to show them.

Im a single mom of DS17. Been a single mom since he was 5. We've been to disney every single year for many years now. It was our thing. We had a blast. But sadly, in his teen years he decided he's not into it anymore. :sad: But I still very much love Disney. So you know what I did? I booked a solo trip. Let me tell you, I had the best time. Solo trips are therapeutic and so much fun. I can do WHAT i want, WHEN i want, HOW i want. Its amazing! I've been hooked on solo trips ever since.

I think fondly of my time at Disney with my son, I cherish those memories. But im so happy to do disney on my too. I go during food & wine. Let me tell you, thats my fave thing in the whole world. OP, you're passionate about flowers, im passionate about F&W. Plus I love the fall/halloween. If you like flower/garden fest, I say go for it. You'll have a blast.

Keep in mind that I have met some great people from disbards on my solo trips. Met some great friends. This upcoming trip i wont be seeing my usual travel buddy (met thru dis), but i am meeting up with a couple of other dis folks at jelly rolls, then again for dinner. Its a nice way to break up the "solo" time and get some laughs and convo going with other disney soloist.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts