Shower chair-recommendations?

Simba's Mom

<font color=green>everything went to "H*** in a ha
Can anyone give any tips or recommendations for a type of shower chair. I'm looking for the safety and support. I just fractured my pelvis and it's been enough time that I can transfer from my wheelchair, but not stand for more than a few seconds. We have a big walk-in shower, not a tub-shower combo. Should I get one with handles, or are those more trouble getting into?

I'm a T6 complete para so we would have different needs. But I bought this one and am very happy with it. I only use it when I travel and even rarely then. Just when for some reason the roll-in shower doesn't have a bench. I find it very sturdy and stable to transfer onto. The back is nice but I don't use the side rail. For keeping in a fixed location I would think it would be great. But it might be too big for your space.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000SOQ30E/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I second @BillSears choice - if you have the space, it's the way to go.

If not, you can do what I did prior to our remodel, and use one like this; I didn't install the seat back, and just use it as a bench. A seat or bench without arms is better (for me) *if* you have some grab bars installed in your shower. If you don't have rails installed on the walls, then you might consider a model with arms, as long as you don't get out of balance when standing from a seated position.

My Mom used a long-length transfer bench that went completely outside the shower; it meant that she had to leave her glass shower doors open, but we just laid down beach towels to absorb the water that fell outside the shower. (she had a full-time attendant with her when showering after her strokes)

@Simba's Mom I sure hope you are well on the way to healing! I don't know if it will help you, but I find great relief in water therapy with a physical therapist; my pain levels are reduced and my stamina and mobility increased. The water at the location I go to is kept at 91 degrees; I am always sweating when I get out of the pool, but I feel so much better that I don't mind! :)

I won’t be much help from my daughter’s experience. This is her tilt in space bath chair, so way overkill for most people LOL

But, as a nurse who has done Home Care, most people use something similar to the one Bill posted.
If you are working with an OT or PT, they can help you with a choice.
Having a back can help if you fatigue easily or need the support.

E5CB65EF-AE91-4A9C-AC45-A9CCBEB47C95.jpeg

The one I linked has three things I like. It has a nice wide base so it's not as likely to tip on me when I do my transfer. It's very wide so I can put my hands on the seat to help me move when I need to. It's able to be adjusted up so that the seat is level with the seat of my wheelchair to make easier transfers for me. The smaller seats don't feel as steady for me so the larger one was the one I shopped for.

I can only tell you what not to use. I bought a small tripod seat because my shower is very small. The first time I tried to use it I had to call my DH to come rescue me. I could not stand up. There was nothing to hold onto. I was afraid that I would fall.

Well, we bought one. We went to a DME pharmacy and bought the one there that looked pretty good. So far, I've used it once, and I love it. Fortunately, although we used to have a tub there, a couple years ago, we had it taken out, and now have a very large shower there. The chair is a 4 leg, adjustable height, with a back and removable arms. DH adjusted the height so it's the same height as my wheelchair. I can't figure out how to link, but on Amazon, it's by Drive, listed as amazon's choice, has fairly short, blue handles, and is about $28

Yay! Having a nice, lovely soak in the shower probably felt so good! :)

I have issues with the sacrum (among other back/hip issues) as well; if I am having a particularly bad day, I will place a bath towel (folded so that it is as thick as possible) on the seat of my shower chair, and then run warm/hot water on it until it is thoroughly saturated. I then sit to shower, and the heat rises up, and I personally get a great deal of relief that way. I often do this while at WDW; the fold down shower seats are indispensable for me, and a long, hot shower is very welcome after a day in the Parks.

I have issues with the sacrum (among other back/hip issues) as well; if I am having a particularly bad day, I will place a bath towel (folded so that it is as thick as possible) on the seat of my shower chair, and then run warm/hot water on it until it is thoroughly saturated. I then sit to shower, and the heat rises up, and I personally get a great deal of relief that way. I often do this while at WDW; the fold down shower seats are indispensable for me, and a long, hot shower is very welcome after a day in the Parks.

Great idea, thanks. Even before I fractured my pelvis, I'd often get a "pain in the butt" from too much walking. This sounds wonderful!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter