Should we buy 150 pts just to get started?

imgoingtodisney

Goal! going on this cruise 37lbs less and I will e
I wanted to buy 200 pts and bank this years with next years. I believe this would have enabled us to go on the Disney Magic next year. Now my husband says he wants the "other" cruise line. If Im to pay for the cruise how am I to also pay for DVC? Should I just buy the 150 pts to get started and have them take this years points also lowering our bill?

I would say sooner is better than later since the price always seems to increase. It will probably be much higher next year when they start selling BCV. If you want to spend most vacations at Disney, I would go for it.

If you are actually going to buy I would recommend getting as many points as you feel you can comfortably afford (meaning without raising other financial concerns). As most will say, they always wish they had more points. Also, you face the issue later of not being able to add on at VWL if you want more points there later because it will likely sell out in the next several months.

However, I sense an issue of whether you have a spouse who may not want to buy Disney. I don't do boats (give me terra firma to stand on whenever I go on vacation) so I cannot tell you whether other cruise lines are better than Disney but it is certainly the only cruise line that can give a Disney experience. Personally believe it is important that both spouses agree with the concept that they will be doing mostly Disney after buying. If there is unwillingness on the part of one, then you have a serious issue to resolve before buying.

I just finished looking over the "other" cruise line and went and told hubby where I want to cruise. I figure in the future we will be on the Disney Cruise line and in Dec I am cruising to Cozumel with MIL.
Husband now says go ahead with DVC. He rethought it and thinks he can gamble when we get off ship on one of the excursions. He knows Disney is a non-gambling ship. I told him in 5 years when DVC is paid off then we can go on the "other" cruise line.

Well. I think you should start with 150, and then see if you actually need to buy more. You can always add, but you rarely can get rid of points. Keep in mind that if the cruise you need is only 200 pts, you can always rent the difference.

I bought 155 couple years ago. I never really have the need to add points (yet). When I need points, I either rent or just use cash.

In my opinion, he should skip the gambling this trip, take that "lost" money and buy more points!

Just kidding, don't take it personally!

Where do you plan to call "home"? If it is a resale then you can only buy what is being sold (OKW, BWV). However, I believe you would have to purchase an add-on before the property sells out. I (correct me if I'm wrong) believe VWL is closing in on selling out (or maybe it was just rumored).

We bought OKW thru resale. I love OKW and that is where I wanted to call "home". I need about 50 more points now that my baby is 3 years old (we now need 2 BR). It is hard to come by. It just calls for a little more finagling with the reservations.

150 points is better then none...........so, go for it. As far as cruising goes, I think you may be able to get better deals then having to use points to cruise. At least that is what I am finding out. We hope to cruise soon..........

Good luck.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter