Shoe wearin' in the parks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, I know they don't travel through your skin, but once they get one your skin, you can transfer it to open areas of your body where it can enter the body. Masses of people touching the same surface spreads germs. You can avoid getting sick by careful washing, etc, but it's better to just wear some shoes (I hope you will not be washing your feet in the sink in the parks). Your feet are going to be sweating and leaving sweat prints on the floor, and probably not smell that great either. They're going to be covered in dirt, and god knows what else. It's just plain gross, and rude. No one wants to see your stinky, ugly, dirty feet. I can't believe someone has to explain this. I am not concerned with etiquette for the most past, but geez, we have to have some standards, or we might as well be cave men.
And your argument leaves logic behind and enters the realm of your own personal hang ups. Sweat prints, lol. Unshod feet don't sweat like that and there are lots of things I don't want to see. Mind your business and I'll mind mine.

I used to be a "go barefoot" person, even in Central London.
I mostly encountered very few problems (the odd discarded cigarette end - OUCH!)
But, WDW is so concentratedly busy, the pavements are super hot, people with buggies / strollers / pushchairs are not always the most engaged with looking where they are going, the rides have textured floors or metal floors which can be really hot / painful.
Plus, I find, culturally, people are less likely to be comfortable seeing others barefoot.
Also, and this is a big one once I started visiting USA regularly, hiking etc (learnt to ALWAYS wear shoes) while you are more sensitive to ground changes etc, depending on where you go and what times of day, there is other wildlife to be thinking about.

It's really just common sense to wear shoes, especially in tropic/subtropic areas. Shoes prevent the spread of plantar warts and keep strongyloides at bay. We wear flip-flops around the pool areas, and I disinfect the tub and floor in the bathroom area of our hotel room. We've had issues with the HPV virus that causes plantar warts. The warts can become painful and can affect how a person walks.

It's really just common sense to wear shoes, especially in tropic/subtropic areas. Shoes prevent the spread of plantar warts and keep strongyloides at bay. We wear flip-flops around the pool areas, and I disinfect the tub and floor in the bathroom area of our hotel room. We've had issues with the HPV virus that causes plantar warts. The warts can become painful and can affect how a person walks.
Who needs common sense when you can be a "free spirit" aka weirdo, "stick it to the man" or troll on a Disney message board?

Good grief...OP asked a question, it's been clearly answered...and there's now 3 pages of beating an incredibly dead horse and piling on. And we're calling OP a "weirdo", "troll" and other names because they like to go barefoot. :rolleyes2

Yes, well established that shoes are required in WDW. If OP likes to go barefoot, fantastic. Not an option in WDW, except the water parks. For the record, I take my flip flops off on long rides like Ellens' Energy or IASM, and I have to take them off on Soarin'. Guess I'm a weirdo, stick it to the man troll. :jester:

Athlete's foot is a direct result of closing up fungus in a dark, moist place. Your shoes are literally incubating it. Nasty.

Not with clean socks and well aired out shoes!! And, you definitely 'can' get it where others (that have it) have walked in wet bathrooms, etc.

Dh & I both got it in our 'new' house (shower) after our builder had a couple of unsavory women 'clean' before our closing!!

Live like you want (where permissible), but we will continue to take precautions and have clean feet!

Agree there is a time and place for going barefoot, but IMO it's 'not' in public! I, too, love going barefoot - at home!

Not with clean socks and well aired out shoes!! And, you definitely 'can' get it where others (that have it) have walked in wet bathrooms, etc.

Dh & I both got it in our 'new' house (shower) after our builder had a couple of unsavory women 'clean' before our closing!!

Live like you want (where permissible), but we will continue to take precautions and have clean feet!

Agree there is a time and place for going barefoot, but IMO it's 'not' in public! I, too, love going barefoot - at home!
You really like 'quotation' marks. The problem with what you are saying is that once you stuff your feet in those socks and shoes for hours at WDW they are no longer clean and aired out. They are incubators for germs, fungus, and stink, but that's your business not mine.

Who needs common sense when you can be a "free spirit" aka weirdo, "stick it to the man" or troll on a Disney message board?
That was completely uncalled for. The OP asked a legitimate question which has now been answered. Not sure why we need a debate about germs surgical masks and athletes foot. Asked and answered. Time to move on. But under no circumstances is attacking the OP an appropriate response. There are many cultures where going barefoot is the norm. It is illogical to consider all of those people "weirdos".

You really like 'quotation' marks. The problem with what you are saying is that once you stuff your feet in those socks and shoes for hours at WDW they are no longer clean and aired out. They are incubators for germs, fungus, and stink, but that's your business not mine.

You're correct - my business, your business! We'll agree to disagree on what causes athlete's foot, also on where going barefoot is appropriate!! All shoes are not closed in anyway, so constantly have air flow.

Yes, I 'do' use quotation marks!! Beats caps (like yelling) to emphasize a point, right?? No reply needed - I'm done.

One of my favorite stories that my grandmother told me was that when she was young, she only had 1 pair of shoes... and after Easter Sunday, she had to take them off and couldn't put them back on again until October...

And here I am on the opposite end of the spectrum. I prefer to not go barefoot ever, even in my own home! I hate the feeling of even one piece of crumb stuck to the bottom of my foot.

Just....wow...sigh

Forget these jerks! Shoes can feel so suffocating when you're not used to them, adding on the heat makes it even worse!
Definitely check out getting some yoga sling sandals. When I wear those it really does feel like barefeet except super cushy. And that flip floppy sound, which I would rather not hear but hey it's something.

I wear Go Walk Sketchers to the parks a lot. Easy on and off when in an appropriate location.. ;)

Thank you! It was a simple question and I got pounced upon and derided for the way I chose to live my life. I love how some people just have to meddle in other people's lives. Not feeling very welcome in the "happiest place on Earth."

Welcome to the DisBoards where all opinions are welcome. Unless of course, your opinion is different than mine.

It's not a choice I would personally make for myself. I only go barefoot at my own home/yard/etc. But it wouldn't affect me if someone chose to go barefoot. I'd probably wonder why. But it wouldn't matter. The only way you're going to "catch" something that person may have (but probably doesn't) is if you are also walking around barefoot. Which clearly none of you are. Why do people care so much what someone else chooses to do with their feet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter