Shades of Green question

phorsenuf

Not so New Rule author
My son has decided to enlist in the Army (I'm so proud!)
He gets sworn in in a couple of weeks, but won't leave for basic until the end of the summer. We have a trip already planned for July. Would we be able to get a SOG discount? It would be nice to be able to stay at a deluxe, especially for his last harrah! Does anybody know? Also, do you have to stay at the CR or could we pick a different resort like the Poly or Caribbean Beach? Thanks so much!!

Hey phorsenuf! I checked the shade of green site for you, if you haven't already checked it out it's www.shadesofgreen.org. This is what I found in regards to your question (these are verbatim from the web site):

-Upon check-in, Sponsors are required to provide a valid military ID or current LES

-Sponsored guests must be accompanied by the Military/DoD sponsor at check-in and throughout the entire stay.

So as far as I know and what it says, you would need your son (the sponsor) to reserve a room at SoG and get those rates. Your son would need a military ID, which I don't believe they get until they get to basic. Or a copy of his orders, which he probably won't have because he hasn't gone though Basic.

My DH is in the Navy and I just made a reservation through SoG. As you are aware, it is being rennovated right now so they are placing reservations at the Contemporary. Yes you are correct, you are only allowed to get SoG rates at the CR, not other resorts.

I hoped that helped. You might want to call SoG yourself to make sure the info is correct. I'm sure you'll have a great time, whatever the outcome!!! Good luck to, and God bless, your dear son!

Yes you are correct, you are only allowed to get SoG rates at the CR, not other resorts.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

that is not true. Shades of Green has something called "overflow" rates. They are discounted rates at a lot of the local hotels, WDW resorts included. That said, the deepest discounts are at the CR right now...

I hope you find the answer to your other question. Congrats to your son!

Madge, thanks for clarifying that! I wasn't aware of that info. Thanks! Hope you find what you're looking for, phoresnuf!

I dont have an answer to your question but I wanted to congratulate your son. I am very proud of our military and happy to know there is another brave man out there defending our country and our freedom. Congrats again and have fun at disney.
Kim

Congrats on your son's desire to serve his country.

The big IF in answering your question about SoG is: IF your son has been issued an ID card, he should be able to reserve up to three rooms (at CR if there is still room or at an overflow location). I would check the SoG website also. Good information there.

Good luck and have fun!!!

I do know that some recruits are issued a temporary ID that is good for the PX and commissary. I do not know if this ID is good for the other services. It may be very restricted. He should go down to the Parks and Rec department of the nearest base. They should have the correct info. If the answer is yes, then get a print out of the policy. If there is no printout, then most likely the answer is no.

I know when we were talking to the recruiter about everything, if he had decided to do delayed entry (do 30 months of college, then start active army) He would have been given an ID that would allow him on bases and in commisarys and such. So I would assume he would get his ID after he swears in. Maybe I'll just call his recruiter and ask about the ID or just call SOG. How much time should I block out for that call?? LOL
Thanks for all your help and congratulations! I am very happy for him!!

I would give yourself at least an hour to get through to SOG. I have gotten through in 20 minutes and another time it took me almost 1 1/2 hours.....but I had hung up and redialed twice.
Kim
PS...make a list of all the questions you want to ask them, so you dont hang up and then remember you wanted to ask them something else.

I would still contact your home base's parks and recs. SoG is run by civilians and they do make mistakes. Ask for a printout of any policies.

Congrats to your son on his decision to enlist. Unfortunately he is not considered Active Duty until he actually goes to basic training. To the best of my knowledge (as an Air Force retiree) he is not eligible for SOG as a delayed enlistee. I know the AF does not issue military ID cards until recruits are in basic training. It is not until he is actually on the DOD payroll that he is eligible for any benefits such as medical, commissary, etc.

Just wanted to reiterate the you don't have to stay at SoG or Contemporary. SoG gives "discount" rates to all the other resorts, as long as space is available. I just called yesterday and here are prices for October I got for a couple places:

Old Key West 1-BR = $219 + tax
Old Key West 2-BR = $324 + tax
Animal Kingdom Lodge Stand. View= $144 + tax
Animal Kingdom Lodge Savanna View = $189 + tax

We are booked at the Carribean Beach for $89 + tax in October.

Thier ph. # is 1-888-593-2242 for your specific questions.
I recommend calling 15-30 minutes before they close (5pm EST), it was the only time I got through with less than 10 minutes on hold. (All the other times I gave up after 10 min.!)

Hope that helps,
Cathy:D

Originally posted by CTillberg
Just wanted to reiterate the you don't have to stay at SoG or Contemporary. SoG gives "discount" rates to all the other resorts, as long as space is available. I just called yesterday and here are prices for October I got for a couple places:

Thier ph. # is 1-888-593-2242 for your specific questions.
I recommend calling 15-30 minutes before they close (5pm EST), it was the only time I got through with less than 10 minutes on hold. (All the other times I gave up after 10 min.!)

Hope that helps,
Cathy:D

No, you don't, however you do still have to have a military ID card to stay at ANY Disney owned resort.

As for the time, it *may* have been a fluke. 4-5pm was always one of the worst times of the day to call as every one was getting home. Those who couldn't call from work would call. Unfortunately, we lost, at least, half of our agents at 4pm as it was time for them to go home, too.

Historically, the best times of the day to call were usually between 10-1130am and 2-330pm. After the morning and lunch rushes, but before the get home crowd (but who knows, maybe they smartened up and got more agents for that time of the day).

Also, I found out last night that there was some website issues. Over 300 emails that had yet to have been read were lost in cyberspace. So, if you were submitting payment info for your reservation within the past....I'd say 10 days....and you have yet to hear back from SoG concerning your email (or any email you sent, for that matter), I'd send it again. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter