SHADES OF GREEN at Walt Disney World Resort Information & Questions

Uber should be fine transporting onto Shades property. If time isn't an issue it shouldn't be an issue for pickups on property either. If a driver can't get on property just cancel and try again. Just make sure what ever level of Uber you request is big enough for you and your luggage.

So we have decided to add stays at a Disney resort on both sides of our SOG reservation. I know I will have to transport my luggage myself. I'm looking for suggestions for services to do so. It seems (as above) that Uber could be iffy and a pain. I've looked into Mears, which is expensive for what it is, but oh well. Any other suggestions? This is my first time staying at SOG and also doing a split stay.

TIA!
When are you going to Disney? We plan on going the beginning of November and are staying at one of the All Stars until DD arrives. Her first night she will stay at All Stars with us (and use ME) then the next morning we are planning on using Uber to move to SOG. We also plan on Uber to get back to the airport.

Our first time at SOG and split stay also.

PS - love your name! We are....

When are you going to Disney? We plan on going the beginning of November and are staying at one of the All Stars until DD arrives. Her first night she will stay at All Stars with us (and use ME) then the next morning we are planning on using Uber to move to SOG. We also plan on Uber to get back to the airport.

Our first time at SOG and split stay also.

PS - love your name! We are....

We will just miss you. My plan is to arrive 10/22, stay at AsM, move to SOG 10/23-10/30, and then back to AsM 10/30-10/31, that way I can use DME back and forth between the airport. It's just moving my luggage around that is the pain, lol!

And thank you....PENN STATE!

Just curious, not going to be there. Any idea what SOG will be doing for the storm? Since they aren't actually Disney and military run I could imagine them either going overboard in prep or the other extreme.

I've emailed SOG about this...but perhaps somebody else knows the answer to these questions. I've stayed at SOG several times, but this time we have a group of people with us and we will have some challenges.

We are the sponsors for another family, but their flight arrives BEFORE ours does so we won't be there to fill out the paperwork ahead of time to sponsor them. Will Shades of Green 1) Allow them to arrive via public transportation of some kind and 2) hold their luggage at bell services for them until they can "officially" check-in once we are there? Their flight arrives at about 1:30pm...ours at 7:30pm that same day.

Of course, even if they will hold the luggage for them...additionally they won't be able (I assume) to get the passes need to be able to ride the bus if they wanted to head over to the parks. Now we could let them know about the walk over to the Polynesian and catching the monorail of course. They haven't been to Disney in YEARS and have never stayed at Shades of course.

Also...any ideas on what kind of public transportation they CAN take and how expensive it would be for a family of 4 (2A 2 kids)? I looked up some Mears Shuttle info last night and it appears like that could be an option for them...at about $20 per person on average.

My current advice to them, after doing some research, is as follows:

Rent a car for the DAY from Alamo...cost is about $45. While they can't return it to the Alamo rental office at SOG because it would be closed, my suggestion is to drive directly to the park they want to visit, hang out for the day there, and then in the evening return the car to the Alamo location at the Disney Car Care Center. I read they have after-hours dropoff available and we can easily pick them up from there since we will have a rental for the week.

Just curious if anybody has other options to suggest.

Thanks!

I have had sponsored guest arrive before me and they were able to drop off their luggage with the bell hop and get on property because they had a reservation. That was a few years ago, and security procedures have gotten more intense at SOG. They were not able to check in before we arrived.

They check everyone getting on the bus so they would need to go to the Poly or use their own car to go to the parks. There is a $20 charge to park at the parks.

We traveled from the airport via Sunstate Transportation which is the same group that is listed on the SOG site. We had no problems with them. It was $140 roundtrip plus tip. If you click on the link on the Shades site it gives you the $20 discount because the normal price is $160 roundtrip from that area.

There is public transportation that will take you from the airport to TTC and it is VERY cheap, but I didn't feel comfortable taking that with kids. Also you have to deal with getting your luggage from TTC to SOG somehow and you don't have the bus pass yet. Uber is possible but you need to make sure you get an Uber that is big enough to take all 4 people plus all the luggage. We were a group of 6, so with the uncertainties of public bus transport with kids and whether 6 people plus luggage could fit in any Uber Sunstate was the best for us.

They also include an up to 20 minute stop at a grocery store if you request it.

Yes Bell Service will take your luggage if you arrive before your sponsor. Don't think you can get your Id until your sponsor checks in. Could easily take the Shady Shuttle (a golf cart) to the Poly.

As was mentioned parking at the parks will cost you. The only place you can park for free is Disney Springs. Don't know how the timing works but you can get 2 hours for free parking at any of the Disney hotels if you have a restaurant reservation at one, during non-busy times they may let you stretch the 2 hours a little.

I have had sponsored guest arrive before me and they were able to drop off their luggage with the bell hop and get on property because they had a reservation. That was a few years ago, and security procedures have gotten more intense at SOG. They were not able to check in before we arrived.

They check everyone getting on the bus so they would need to go to the Poly or use their own car to go to the parks. There is a $20 charge to park at the parks.

Ah...good to know that they can at least arrive before me and drop off luggage...hopefully. Still waiting for a response from SOG...might have to (gulp) call a REAL person there! Yes I knew they would be paying to park at a park as well...have let them know that.

We traveled from the airport via Sunstate Transportation which is the same group that is listed on the SOG site. We had no problems with them. It was $140 roundtrip plus tip. If you click on the link on the Shades site it gives you the $20 discount because the normal price is $160 roundtrip from that area.

There is public transportation that will take you from the airport to TTC and it is VERY cheap, but I didn't feel comfortable taking that with kids. Also you have to deal with getting your luggage from TTC to SOG somehow and you don't have the bus pass yet. Uber is possible but you need to make sure you get an Uber that is big enough to take all 4 people plus all the luggage. We were a group of 6, so with the uncertainties of public bus transport with kids and whether 6 people plus luggage could fit in any Uber Sunstate was the best for us.

They also include an up to 20 minute stop at a grocery store if you request it.

Yes Bell Service will take your luggage if you arrive before your sponsor. Don't think you can get your Id until your sponsor checks in. Could easily take the Shady Shuttle (a golf cart) to the Poly.

As was mentioned parking at the parks will cost you. The only place you can park for free is Disney Springs. Don't know how the timing works but you can get 2 hours for free parking at any of the Disney hotels if you have a restaurant reservation at one, during non-busy times they may let you stretch the 2 hours a little.

Thanks for the great information! We'll wait and see what they decide to do. Again yep know they'd be paying to park at a park, but I'm sure that's okay with them to get in some park time.

Ah...good to know that they can at least arrive before me and drop off luggage...hopefully. Still waiting for a response from SOG...might have to (gulp) call a REAL person there! Yes I knew they would be paying to park at a park as well...have let them know that.

Thanks for the great information! We'll wait and see what they decide to do. Again yep know they'd be paying to park at a park, but I'm sure that's okay with them to get in some park time.

I recently asked this contacting shades by phone. I was told that I could write a letter for them assuming responsibility as long as I was arriving same day. This allows them to check in. I was also told that I would need to be present to use any tickets purchased through shadesofgreen.

Hey y'all! We are fast approaching our first stay at SOG and just had a couple of questions.

1) laundry - how much does it cost to use the facilities?
2) would uber or renting a car be better for transferring from Pop? And back to Pop.
3) How much do y'all generally tip the shady shuttle driver?

Any tips for first time guests at SOG??

In August I took a taxi from POP to SOG and it was $18.
SOG charges $7 per day for vehicles and parking at the parks is $20 per day unless you are staying on site or have an annual pass which includes parking. A rental car would be a costly option IMO.

Laundry is $1 per load. You have to put a dollar bill into a change machine and get a token for it. The token is good for one load/one machine or you can buy laundry detergent with it.

We usually tipped about $1 per person for the Shady Shuttle, just remember that it has a cut-off time at night and doesn't operate in bad weather. If you get stuck you either have to walk or take the monorail to TTC, unless it is real late then you would have to Uber.

Uber is fine or a taxi for the transfer between Pop and Shades, just make sure you request the right size car. Requesting a "normal" size car for say 4 guests and luggage won't work.

A few tips:
1. A big tip is that you need to remember that you AREN'T staying at Disney, even though you are on Disney property, the employees at Shades are not Disney employees so there you may notice a difference in attitude. Hard to describe until you have stayed at both a Disney resort and SOG.
2. Don't forget that you don't pay tax when at Shades, so if you see something available at the Exchange and it may be around the same price as something you see in the park, it may be cheaper without the tax at Shades. Unless you are active military you can't buy alcohol in the Exchange, only can buy it in the bars and restaurants.
3. Except for the TTC bus since it just runs on a 20 minute schedule, all the other buses leave on time, don't expect them to wait for you so plan on it. Make sure you know where and when the bus will be picking you up at the parks since it is only once an hour at that one location.
4. One person in each group has to show your SOG Id and a picture Id to get on the bus. Sometimes they even do random checks where they will stop the bus at the Gatehouse and check everyone again. Make sure you have the Ids ready, some of the drivers can get "testy" if you don't.
5. Don't forget that staying here you don't get free MagicBands, can't use Magical Express, can't use Disney Dining Plan and only get 30 day windows on Fastpass.
6. You do get to use Extra Magical Hours.

Any other questions feel free to ask. I was just there in August.

I'm curious about this experience for those with older kids...because of all of our Shades of Green stays we haven't used their bus system that much.

Our party includes kids ranging in age from 13 to 17 years old. We are quite comfortable letting them roam the parks without adults, as my kids especially can navigate the World quite well and they plan to travel in groups. Sometimes even my 13yo has been known to want to head back to the hotel early. We've had him do this via Disney bus/boat/monorail plenty.

None of the under-17 kids will have photo IDs of any kind. Anybody know how the SOG bus operators are with that situation? We will make sure each of them has the resort I.D card with them indicating they are staying at Shades of Green, but will they be stopped at all as a group and required to show a photo ID? Will the SOG ID card be enough for them?

This is the official statements that are on the forms. Personally I think it would be easier if you could get at least one of your 16 and up people either a drivers license or a state Id card for those that don't drive, especially if they look older then 18.

"When boarding to/from the parks your Shades of Green Resort Id and Military or Photo Id (18 yrs or older) must be presented to the driver before boarding the bus. For guests 17 years and under, the Resort Id is required. Children 14 yrs and under must be accompanied by an adult."

Also I believe all the theme parks require an adult to be with people 14 and under to enter the theme park, once they are in the theme park they can separate from the adult. So your 13 year old may encounter several issues (unless they look older then 13.) Depending on your group, you only need one person to have the appropriate Ids and then they can get the rest of the group on. Also it depends on the size of your group. If I remember right one pass is only good for up to 5/6 people but I have seen drivers do give and take on that, especially after they get to know you during your stay.

My daughter is 13, but she stayed with us the entire time so can't offer any experience based on if she was separate from us.

Last edited:
This is the official statements that are on the forms. Personally I think it would be easier if you could get at least one of your 16 and up people either a drivers license or a state Id card for those that don't drive, especially if they look older then 18.

"When boarding to/from the parks your Shades of Green Resort Id and Military or Photo Id (18 yrs or older) must be presented to the driver before boarding the bus. For guests 17 years and under, the Resort Id is required. Children 14 yrs and under must be accompanied by an adult."

Also I believe all the theme parks require an adult to be with people 14 and under to enter the theme park, once they are in the theme park they can separate from the adult. So your 13 year old may encounter several issues (unless they look older then 13.) Depending on your group, you only need one person to have the appropriate Ids and then they can get the rest of the group on. Also it depends on the size of your group. If I remember right one pass is only good for up to 5/6 people but I have seen drivers do give and take on that, especially after they get to know you during your stay.

Thanks for the information...according to the Disney website:

Children under age 14 must be accompanied by a Guest age 14 or older to enter the following Walt Disney World parks and locations:

• Magic Kingdom Park.
  • Epcot.
  • Disney's Hollywood Studios.
  • Disney's Animal Kingdom Park.
  • Disney's Typhoon Lagoon Water Park.
  • Disney's Blizzard Beach Water Park.
So my under-14 kids (there are only 2 of them and one is much bigger than my almost 15yo) just need to be with somebody 14 years old or older, which will always be the case. Sadly my kids all look even YOUNGER than their real ages. Now there will be at least ONE 17-year-old (mine) with a valid driver's license and he'll most likely be with the group, so I'll have to see if SOG will give me an extra ID card for him. Basically we'll have two 17yos, one 15yo, one 14yo (who will turn 15 6 days after we end our vacation there), one 13yo and one 12yo in the group, and the 12yo is taller than probably both my 14yo and 12yo! Hopefully they won't have any issues, especially if they are all together and they are all very well behaved kids.

I guess I'll speak to the SOG folks at check-in and see about our options. Worst case DH and I will most likely be together most of the time so we could give them one of our cards.

I guess I'll speak to the SOG folks at check-in and see about our options. Worst case DH and I will most likely be together most of the time so we could give them one of our cards.
We received 3 Id cards per room and not all of our rooms had 3 people in them. The key will be is how strict will they interpret the 14 and under must be accompanied by an "adult" for the bus portion. The 17 year old with the drivers license and SOG pass will at least be able to get a group of 5/6 on with no problem.

When we stayed at SOG in August the receptionist told us it was the 38th time we have stayed there....LOL.

We sponsor our kids and grandkids. Before they got driver's licenses they used their school ID and the resort ID to board the bus. When we were there in April, our 17 year old, 6 foot 2 inch grandson still used his school ID since he didn't have his driver's license yet.

Marauder's post is very good but I'd like to clarify one tip. You can by liquor in the exchange if you have a military ID. It doesn't matter if you are active duty or retired.

I think as long as your kids are well behaved you will have no problem. My grandkids never did and I was unaware of the 14 and up rule till I just read it now. You can ask for as many resort IDs as you have people staying in that room. My daughter always gets 4.

Last edited:
Marauder's post is very good but I'd like to clarify one tip. You can by liquor in the exchange if you have a military ID. It doesn't matter if you are active duty or retired.

Could have sworn the signs said active duty only. I know the amount of people that can buy the alcohol there is much smaller then the list of people allowed to make a reservation for rooms there. My sponsor didn't fit in the category to buy alcohol.

Could have sworn the signs said active duty only. I know the amount of people that can buy the alcohol there is much smaller then the list of people allowed to make reservation there.

I bought it for my nephew and S-I-L in April. My husband is retired military. I have never served. My husband has never had an issue buying alcohol in the exchange either and he hasn't been active in many years.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter