sewing machine - upper thread keeps breaking

Grumpy's Gal

DIS Veteran
anyone have any suggestions? I have a singer sewing machine, I have read the book that came with it, and it's breaking every 20 inches or so. I am so frustrated right now..... :confused3

I would try checking the tension setting on the machine. If it has gotten shifted, that can cause the thread to break.

I know my DS "helped" me one day and turned the tension setting up very high. Took me forever to figure out why I couldn't sew. :rotfl:

Definetly check what your tension setting is. But also.... are you using good thread? I was working on a craft project and bought some cheap thread, it kept breaking as you described. I change the tension back and forth, didn't help. Then finally I changed thread, and it was as good as new.

Good luck!!

make sure the bobbin is inserted correctly too that can do it along with tension to tight or cheap thread.

If all the above suggestions don't work, you might try taking the whole bobbin mechanism out and clean/oil the machine. Your book usually has instructions, and it's surprising how much lint & junk gets stuck in there.

Hi

If you're still having a problem with the thread breaking, and you've adjusted the tension, changed the thread, and cleaned the bobbin area there might be a couple of other things to try.

Change the needle to a needle that is compatible with the fabric you're sewing on, and also thread the bobbin with the same thread that the machine is threaded with.

If you are sure the thread and the bobbin are threaded right and have put in a new needle, is the thread locking correctly? If the upper thread is breaking, it means something is wrong with the bobbin thread. I had this problem.
It may be that the hooking device is not working correctly. I have an old singer model 6610. I had to take it to an old singer repairman, and he replaced the part that the bobbin goes into and now it sews just fine.

I hope this helps you.

I know this is an old thread, but I had to jump in. Look at the spool of thread it'self. On one end of the spool is a cut, where the thread gets locked so it won't unwind. When you put it on the machine, make sure it is not where the thread can get hooked while your sewing. If the spool stand is horizontal, and the thread gets threaded from there to the left, make sure that little cut is to the right hand side. So as it unwinds, it won't get hungup and break. I hope this hasn't confused anyone.

I know this thread is old, but I just had a similar problem with my machine (a 1967 singer) and couldn't figure it out. I tried adjusting the tension but that didn't seem to be doing anything. I took it to the repair shop and they said that the pin the controls the tension was worn out (so adjusting it really *wasn't* doing anything!!) The pin is only about $5. Of course the labor to install it... :rolleyes1

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter