September 9, 2018 WBTA - Dover to New York

(Adora - just sent you a 'conversation' - look for it!)

I am guessing they will be there around 10? I like airports so don't mind hanging around a bit and am not feeling the need to be on the ship earlier than anyone else. I have an ATM card with no foreign transaction fees but really don't feel like I will need that much cash? I saw School of Rock when I was in London in May. It was fun, high energy.

Wonder how many people will be catching the DCL transfer from Heathrow? Maybe those at the hotels have a different meeting point?

I also have a CC with no fees but hate to use it for snacks, drinks, trinkets. I will save it for the big stuff, like shopping at the Museum stores or
at the Blarney Woolen Mill in Ireland. My go-to is "50-a-day" whether pounds, Euros or dollars. If I don't use it, I can always sell it back. I like
having a bit of cash on me at all times.

Lion king tickets I’m jealous we will be in London a few days but haven’t thought about seeing anything. We saw wicked last time you gave me a good idea to look for s show to see. We also grab money at an atm but only once as my bank charges me way too much to use overseas. We use our credit card whenever possible as there are no foreign transaction fees associated with the card and this way don’t have to worry about carrying so much cash.

I love the Lion King show at Animal Kingdom park in WDW so this was a no brainer. Since I did not want to chance it not being able to get Lion King tickets for Saturday night at the discount ticket booth or getting stuck with cr@ppy seats, I dug deep into my pockets to purchase a ticket for myself. I even got a seat on the aisle for the action that takes place there. I found that if I purchased through Disney, instead of the theater site,I saved about 17 pounds (or $22.00). Depending on where you look, the price went for 115 pounds to 135 pounds for the same seat on the same night at different sites.. So tread carefully.

I hated to spend the money, but I may never get back to London,( I know, never say never) and it would be that price or more if I went to NYC.
So as the stars aligned, it will be museums in the morning, then Harrods, then Covent gardens then Tea at the Savoy and then the Theater.
(I may have to go back to the hotel for a nap and to change in between)

Very smart to get a seat on the aisle for Lion King!

Just for reference - Exchange Rates as of July 21, 2018

$US 50 equals
£ 38 British Pounds or
€42.50 Euros or
$CDN 65.50 Canadian Dollars

£50 equals $65 US
€50 equals $58.50 US
$50 CDN equals $38 US

I used an app on my iPhone called XE Currency. Works great and you can just pick the currencies you want for that particular trip.

I was trying to figure out the weather for the cruise. These are predictions based on the historic average temperatures in these places on that date. YMMV! I will do another check in late August. I was thinking it might be cooler? Or hoping it might be cooler . . .

AVERAGE TEMPERATURES

London Sept 7 - 81
Cork Sept 11 - 64
Sydney NS Sept 16 - 84
Halifax NS Sept 17 - 79
NYC Sept 20 - 79

Is anyone else waiting for a cabin assignment? I am GTY - OGT. Oceanview, somewhere! It's 6 weeks from today that I leave on my adventure. Takes a whole day just to get to Newark and then the next day is the flight to London.

FYI:

Just heard that someone came off the Dream this week and there are no more plastic straws or plastic tops for the cups, but there were paper straws at the bars.
I am guessing that will be the same for our ship too. So just in case we should consider bringing our own vessels of choice.

Thanks for that. Sounds kinda messy with spilled sodas everywhere? I'm all for conservation but the straw thing seems to be a bit of a global knee jerk reaction. In truth, plastic straws account for just .03% (by weight) of the ocean's plastic whereas commercial fishing nets make up 46%.

I remember at the drink machines and the ice cream dispensers they request that you not use your own container, that you use the one provided and transfer it after the fact. I agree that touching the dispenser with the rim of your used cup could transfer germs. Any thoughts? What sort of 'vessel' to people bring? I think I am running out of room . . . .

and if you ask someone refilling their personal tumbler cup for health reasons to please use a fresh paper cup and transfer they get mad at you and call you a jerk.

I bring one of my collection of resort mugs for my coffee/tea as they have a handle and are virtually indestructible
and perhaps a stainless vessel for cold things/water for the excursions or maybe a Tervis, not sure yet.
I may bring a couple of straws from home and save them and I
I'd rather be called a jerk than get the novovirus???

I agree, would rather be a jerk than sick!

Yeah, I am packing a couple of straws . . .

Along with all my other USELESS INFORMATION posts, I thought I would add this link to buying postage stamps online for mailing postcards to the states from Canada. We have 3 stops there. I find that sometimes post offices are hard to find or have funky hours? So I am buying some in advance. It's $120 CDN to mail a card which is about $1 US. Yes, I still write postcards. Will send English postcards from Ireland and Irish postcards from Canada!

LINK TO BUY CANADIAN POSTAGE STAMPS

https://www.canadapost.ca/shop/stamps-by-rate/usa-stamps.jsf

Yeah, I am packing a couple of straws . . .

Along with all my other USELESS INFORMATION posts, I thought I would add this link to buying postage stamps online for mailing postcards to the states from Canada. We have 3 stops there. I find that sometimes post offices are hard to find or have funky hours? So I am buying some in advance. It's $120 CDN to mail a card which is about $1 US. Yes, I still write postcards. Will send English postcards from Ireland and Irish postcards from Canada!

LINK TO BUY CANADIAN POSTAGE STAMPS

https://www.canadapost.ca/shop/stamps-by-rate/usa-stamps.jsf

You can buy stamps at any supermarket or pharmacy in Canada, no need to go to the post office. Ask the cashier or check at the cash desk. That is where I buy my stamps :).

I received mine, too, yesterday. Mine is mostly full of legal mumbo jumbo. Luggage tags! But still no stateroom . . . maybe I will have to share with Captain Mickey???

Me, too! I leave 3 weeks from tomorrow. So much to do by then. I still do not have a cabin. Are you packed? I have a pile of stuff. We'll see what will fit . . . . Still looks like it will be warmer than I thought.

Me, too! I leave 3 weeks from tomorrow. So much to do by then. I still do not have a cabin. Are you packed? I have a pile of stuff. We'll see what will fit . . . . Still looks like it will be warmer than I thought.

One can hope about the weather. In three weeks we'll already be in London.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter