DAY 2 of 3

Post 3 of 3: Days 3 & 4- La Jolla Beach and San Diego Harbor

When: Sunday-Thursday August 5th-9th 2007
Who: DH, me, DS6 and DD4, Grandma #1 & DH's sister 18, Grandma #2 and my bro 19
Where: SeaWorld, La Jolla beach, San Diego Harbor
Hotel: Motel 6 La Mesa
Transportation: drove from AZ
Park Package: "borrowed" SeaWorld "2 day for the price of 1" tickets
Weather: high 70's, low 80's, overcast in the mornings, sunny in the afternoons, cool breezes, very nice!

Day 1 is our hotel review. Day 2 will have our SeaWorld review, day 3/4 will have our La Jolla beach and SD Harbor review! HTH! :)

La Jolla Beach day 1, Tuesday 8/7: After SeaWorld the previous day we all needed to sleep in. So the next day we didn't get to the beach until around noon. We stopped at Barnes and Nobles first to buy magazines and books, and then grabbed lunch real quick next door at Rubios and Jamba Juice to eat on the way. Parking at that point was of course a PITA, but we managed. DH found a rental shop nearby and got us umbrellas, chairs, and surfboards for him and my bro. The beach itself was nice, but there was a LOT of seaweed and jellyfish washing up all day long, which was kind of yucky. The kids didn't get in the water a whole lot because of that, just mostly played in the sand. It was pretty crowded still for a Tuesday. And it was HOT. We all applied sunscreen when we arrived at the beach, but forgot to apply more and most of went back to the hotel with some sunburns that will leave some really silly looking tanlines, lol. :rolleyes: ***please remember to re-apply every couple of hours, especially if you go into the water!!!*** The guys got some nice waves and had fun surfing for a few hours. However we quickly realized that we should have set up shop a LOT closer to the bathrooms as our kids could NOT get over the idea of peeing in the ocean, LOL. I think they thought we were messing with their heads by telling them that!! :upsidedow We left around 5pm and drove back to get showered and dressed, and then went out to eat for dinner. By the time we got back to the hotel that night, the kids were out like a light and we all got a good night's sleep!

La Jolla Beach day 2 and more, Wednesday 8/8: The next day we got up earlier and arrived at the beach around 9:30am. This time we set up shop by the bathrooms ;) and rented boogie boards for the kids and our chairs and umbrellas on the way there. We got parking spaces in the actual parking lot this time, which was really nice! There were plenty of open spaces still. It was not nearly as crowded as the day before, but there were a few different school/day camp groups there. However, they didn't bother us and were quite well behaved. There was a really cool breeze all day, which actually got chilly at times, but the water was actually warmer than the day before (?!). Also, there was hardly ANY seaweed and no jellyfish at all, and TONS of seashells everywhere! (the day before we didnt see not a one!) The kids had a ton of fun collecting those in their buckets for a couple hours. And DS6 LOVED that boogie board! He spent a lot more time in the water. And since dad wasn't surfing today, he was able to take the kids out in the water a lot more. They had so much fun together! DD4 let dad walk her out in the water a few times, but she wasn't brave enough to really play out there for long, or to swim by herself. She mostly played in the sand on her own and enjoyed herself just fine doing her own thing, thankyouverymuch, lol. :cutie: And I got to enjoy myself a lot more and actually *read* my book since dad was watching the kids today. TIP: make sure you get the sunscreen way past your DS's swimshorts line...his slipped down some while he was out boogie-boarding and he got a killer sunburn on his upper bottom/lower back. :( We left around 2pm to go back and cleaned up so we could drive to the San Diego Harbor that evening.

San Diego Harbor: We drove down the harbor and went on a boat harbor tour with "San Diego Harbor Excursions" and although it was fun, I was VERY disappointed with the atmosphere on that boat. We went on the 5:30pm, 1 hour North Shore Tour, which was about $60 for our family of four. It started off great, the kids were loving it! But we had noticed that for some reason half of the people who were on the boat when it pulled up didnt get off, and it was quickly apparent that they were all SO drunk....and yet the bartenders kept serving them during the next tour, too!!! I have waitressed and bartended before, and those people should have been cut off a long time ago. They were being so loud and obnoxious, they couldnt even stand straight and were bumping into people and tripping over their own two feet (which was not only annoying but dangerous) and spilling their drinks on the deck so there was ice and liquid all over. We could barely hear the captain talking over this one particular drunk who was blabbering off about all he "knew" and he kept leaning into people's faces and shouting at them. The rest of the drunks just laughed along with him. Finally we moved to the upper deck with the kids, and we could at least hear the captain from up there. I am going to be writing a letter of complaint to the company because I thought it was just ridiculous. If I had known the excursion would be like that, I would've chosen a different time or a different company altogether. It was definitely not family friendly and really annoying for anyone else who wasnt blithering drunk themselves. I was really disappointed :mad:

Other than that, the kids liked seeing the sea lions and the big navy ships, and just had fun sticking their faces over the side of the boat to watch the waves and feel the breeze! Although next time we want to tour one of the navy ships, I wish we had done that instead of the harbor tour! I also wish we had had time to go to the Maritime museum and tour the sailing ships n such. Again, would've rather done that than the harbor tour! Oh well! Now we have an excuse to go back :goodvibes

Anthony's Fish Grotto: Afterwards we walked down to Anthony's and got some fish and sat on the pier to eat. It was SO GOOD! MMMMM! $6 for the kids and $9 for the adults. Highly recommend!

Seaport Village: Afterwards we walked to Seaport Village (ouchies, our feet!) which took about 15 minutes, but was doable and it was really nice out weather wise. They had a Peruvian band playing in the square, which DH LOVED. And it was fun just walking through the shops. We bought some seashells and toys for the kids, and it was about 9pm at that point, and the kids were DONE for the day and so were our FEET! So DH walked back to get the car :hug: and picked us up. The kids fell asleep in about a minute, lol. We got another good night's sleep and woke up bright and early the next morning, packed up, and drove home!

It was a great trip overall and it was so nice that our relatives could be there. And it was fabulous being out of this HOT AZ sun for almost a week! :cool1: I hope this trip report helps someone else planning...I know these boards help me SO MUCH and we end up having an awesome time because of it. Happy planning everyone! :woohoo:

THE END!!!!!

Thanks Pinktink83 - your trip reports are helping me. We are leaving Thursday morning for a 10 day trip to CA but the majority of the time we are in San Diego. Thank you for the tips. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter