I'm sure I'm very affected by all this Disney talk
The Cast
Me – Julie – 42
DH – John – 46
DS – Lewis – 12

Pre-trippie

Day 1

Saturday 4 February 2017

Alarm went off at 05:15 and we were quickly organised and in the car for just before 6am. Our local bridge has some road works going on and the slip road is closed overnight (typical the only weekend has to be when it’s our trip) but we timed it just right so that it had re-opened. Abbey was dropping us off at the airport which was nice as we didn’t need to allow as much time as normal for parking the car and using the transfer bus. Very handy having a princess that can drive :drive:

Security was quick and when we got through I could see from the boards that our gate would be called in the next 15 minutes so we didn’t bother having any breakfast and agreed we’d get something on the plane.

Flight was good, we had bacon baguettes each and soon we were landing at CDG. We were quite a bit early, too early as the pilot soon announced that he didn’t have a free stand so we had to wait a bit until the plane ‘parked’.

Passport control was quick and Ezyshuttle were waiting for us as usual. Well done Ezyshuttle! They are always there no matter if our flight is early or late.

* *A point about transfers. We had a chat with the driver who we’ve had a few times before. He said the amount of people who come on late evening flights when the shuttle bus has stopped running is unbelievable. He said that so many people book full packages with Disney/travel agents and have transfers included, but they don’t check when the last bus goes and are often left stuck on how to get to Disney. He said the same thing happens with the TGV. Families with small children, lots of luggage/prams struggle or haven’t checked timings and miss their train or it’s stopped running. I can’t think of a more straightforward way to get to Disney than a private transfer – it’s fantastic.**

Having got off the plane at 10:30 we arrived at our lovely Hotel New York at 11:20. Reception was quite busy we were seen in a few minutes and checked in quickly. I asked if there was a room available in Midtown and the CM went off to look. He came back apologetic and said he didn’t have anything there but could give us a terrace room in Gramercy Park which was fine. I noticed that we weren’t asked for our passport number this time and we took breakfast slots of 9am, but he said it would be fine to just go anytime. Our room was ready and we just took our cases with us instead of asking for bell service.

Our room was 120 in Gramercy Park, near the pool. We had a garden view and our room was lovely as always.

We had a change of coats and were on our way to the parks.

IMG_1888.jpg

[URL='http://s1016.photobucket.com/user/jhill333/media/P1060287.jpg.html'][URL='http://s1016.photobucket.com/user/jhill333/media/P1060287.jpg.html']
[URL='http://s1016.photobucket.com/user/jhill333/media/P1060287.jpg.html'][URL='http://s1016.photobucket.com/user/jhill333/media/P1060287.jpg.html'][URL='http://s1016.photobucket.com/user/jhill333/media/P1060287.jpg.html'][URL='http://s1016.photobucket.com/user/jhill333/media/P1060287.jpg.html'][URL='http://s1016.photobucket.com/user/jhill333/media/P1060287.jpg.html'][URL='http://s1016.photobucket.com/user/jhill333/media/P1060287.jpg.html'][URL='http://s1016.photobucket.com/user/jhill333/media/P1060287.jpg.html'][URL='http://s1016.photobucket.com/user/jhill333/media/P1060287.jpg.html'][URL='http://s1016.photobucket.com/user/jhill333/media/P1060287.jpg.html'][URL='http://s1016.photobucket.com/user/jhill333/media/P1060287.jpg.html'][URL='http://s1016.photobucket.com/user/jhill333/media/P1060287.jpg.html'][URL='http://s1016.photobucket.com/user/jhill333/media/P1060287.jpg.html']

The weather was a bit dreary, drizzly and a tad cold but we were well prepared with layers and waterproof boots. I also had a backpack with us for holding scarves, hats and gloves in case they were needed later.

We'd originally planned to do the Studios first as Lewis wants to do all the Star Wars shows but it was just before 12 noon and we had plenty of time before all of that started. We weren't hungry just now so headed to the park.

Excitement builds for Lewis when we see the first Season of the Force billboard:

The Disneyland Hotel still looks lovely even in the dull weather, some clever Imagineering on there..

The Disneyland Park sign is back!

It was lovely to see the entrance to the park in it's original state, we're so used to seeing it with Halloween decorations.

We took our time around Town Square, the gazebo boarded off as it's being replaced.

Minnie was meeting outside the Boarding House and we made our way through Liberty Arcade to get some fast passes for Big Thunder Mountain.Once in Frontierland we noticed that the queue for Phantom Manor was huge! Almost way back down the steps!

Big Thunder Mountain looked wonderful! It's almost cartoon like and with the Molly Brown nearby the whole land just looks as it should. Lovely to see this in full swing again.

BTM wait time was 40 minutes and we looked at the fast pass times but it would have been right when we are at the studios, around 3pm so we didn't get them and headed through Adventureland.

The Swiss Family Robinson Tree House

The Pirate ship looking lovely

We could see a few meets, Aladdin and Jasmine, Hook and Smee and Captain Jack. Pirates is closed for a refurb and you can tell there's a major attraction closed as the whole park seemed really busy. We headed to Fantasyland. Queues were really bit and more characters. Alice and the White Rabbit were beside the maze.

The Maze looks lovely and bright with the recent refurbishment but we didn't go in.

We strolled around and decided to get a heat from the cold by popping into Small World. We don't do this every trip and it's been a few years so we enjoyed this. Both lanes were open so we only waited about 10 minutes and enjoyed the shelter from the weather whilst we waited.

No dancing!

After this we walked down to Discoveryland to see wait times for Buzz. Wait time was 40 mins so we grabbed some fast passes which were only about 15 mins later. We sat in Videopolis to rest from the weather and debated watching the Jedi Academy which was due to start. We didn't stay I the end and headed to our fast pass time with Buzz.

Our first glance of the castle

We strolled back to Frontierland and picked up fast passes for later, 18:15 -18:45. Feeling hungry now we headed to Earl of Sandwich in the Village for lunch.

Great service in here again. I so wish this was in the park so we didn't need to leave, but the plus is that it's not very busy so we get served quickly.

[/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL]

Last edited:
We left here full up and wandered round the shops in Disney Village. Lewis made a beeline for the Lego store and then the sweet shop and got a huge pick ‘n’ mix (that’s what holidays are for :hyper: ) and I got 6 new glasses. We got these wrapped up to be sent back to our hotel later. Lewis also spied some Star Wars posters it the art shop and we said we’d pick them up later.

No room in the hand luggage for this!

Soon we were at the Studios! I noticed that the fountain now has a flower bed which does look lovely.

Goofy was meeting in his very nice Studios outfit and there wasn’t much of a queue so we waited to see him, only for about 5 minutes.

The Star wars stuff was on throughout the afternoon and various things happening including a Storm Trooper patrol, scrum to meet them and then a show on the stage. We managed to see some Storm Troopers but crowds came around so quickly there was no chance of Lewis getting meet them. I took a photo anyway

Crowds were lining the rope in front of the stage so we got a place, near the front and waited. It was getting cold so I went over to a nearby stall and got some hot chocolate for us. The patrol itself was good but only really visible if you’re at the very front of the rope.

This is then closely followed by a show on the stage and I think you’re actually better to stand further back. We stayed where we were as were hemmed in a bit but still got a decent view.

Lewis loved all of this and was awestruck watching it. I'm so glad he got to see everything.

When this all finished it was around 3:50. The stunt show was due to start at 4pm but it was quite cold and nobody wanted to wait. We wandered the studios – there wasn’t a Cinemagique showing that timed right so we went to see if we could do Ratatoullie. Crush was showing a 75 minute wait and we continued on past Cars for our traditional photo:

Ratatoullie was really busy, even the single rider line was showing 30 min wait. We had a look around the shop, which I think looks lovely:

Flower beds in this fountain too instead of water. I wonder if this is just for winter and it'll be water again in summer?

We walked back up through Toystory Playland.

We popped into Art of Animation area and could see Moana doing some meets. Again, no Cinemagique on at a suitable time and nothing much else we wanted to do just now so we agreed that we’d head back to the Disneyland Park.

The band were playing in the Studios, lots of Star Wars tracks!

I noticed from the park schedule that the Frozen show was on at 4:45 and managed to talk Lewis into it
:woohoo:

Lovely Belle window in Main St on the way

'Lewis, you will have fun, it says so on the sign!'

We've never seen this before and I really enjoyed singing along. It wasn't very busy and I laughed because I'd said that we could heat up a bit in here.....I didn't realise there would be fake snow and a breeze blowing out :laughing:

Lewis ended up with a smile and liked catching the balls being thrown around too

Then we had a look around the Arendelle Marketplace

We were still too early for our BTM fast pass so wandered to see if Phantom Manor queues had gone down a bit. As we approached we could see it was down for now.

We headed for a rest in Victoria’s Homestyle for a hot chocolate and muffin. I’ve never been in here before and it reminds me very much of Salon Mickey with the same sort of style. It's really nice.

The parade was on whilst we were in here and as we left the tail end was passing us. We went in through the castle for Fantasyland and I turned to see so many people! Look at the crowds!

In through the castle to see if we could find some quieter rides in Fantasyland. Lewis was happy to see that Maleficent’s Bramble was gone and the Sword in the Stone was back!

The Carousel looked quiet so we hopped on

We came back out through the castle and there was a small fountain show going on - I think to the music of Sleeping Beauty, but I can't actually remember.

As we were leaving here Abbey called from home to say that the boiler wasn't working....so I talked her through re-setting it and thankfully by the time we'd walked to BTM all was ok :)

We joined the BTM fast pass line and had an amazing time :flower1:The refurb is wonderful, so bright and colourful. I think the ride feels smoother and faster than ever, magic pixiedust:

We had to go back to the Studios now to see the English version of the Star Wars night show on the Tower of Terror. It started at 19:45. I noticed from the programme that a second showing in French would be on at 20:45 – both parks closed at 21:00 tonight and tomorrow. It was about 19:00.

It was great to see the Studios in the dark. We had some time to kill so headed towards Ratatoullie and on the way stopped at the Cars area again as Lewis shouted that he’d never noticed the white wall tyres before in the window!

Everywhere looked amazing lit up

Rataoullie had a 5 min wait for single rider line – All the single riders!! This was great, I just love, love the whole theme of this area and the music. Ratatoullie was a huge Lewis film and it brings back wonderful memories of Lewis being a wee thing obsessed with Remy.

Slinky had a 5 minute wait too so we hopped aboard:

Carpets was a walk on too

Some photos at the Montsers Inc area

It was almost 19:45 and time for the Star Wars show on the Tower of Terror. We literally just stood towards the back and had a perfect view – just outside Cinemagique. The lights from Cinemagique were still on and it was really bright but as soon as the show started we were plunged into darkness – it was amazing. Even though I know nothing about Star Wars, the music was fantastic and the projection/fireworks amazing. Some characters came on the stage too so there was lots to see.

20:00 now and we left the Studios in search of some food. Annette's was our destination and as expected there was already a queue outside. We waited for about 20 minutes which I think was ok for a Saturday night. We all had the Rock’n’Roll burger and a drink. Food was lovely as always and service was great. Total bill with shareholders discount was 59E

Tired now we strolled back though the shops in the village and back to the hotel. We popped into the hotel shop for some juice, crisps and I got a nice new Cheshire Cat mug. Lewis got some Star Wars pencils and I picked up my glasses from the shopping service. The CM was lovely and offered to unwrap them all. The shop was busy so I said I’d check them back in the room. She said if there was any damage to just bring them back as they sold the same ones in the hotel shop and she’d change them.

Back in the room we’d had turndown service which was unexpected, maybe because it was a terrace room.

I phoned housekeeping to order a kettle. DH and Lewis went off with the ice bucket for some ice. The machine hadn’t been working so they’d popped into the New York City bar to get some and said the CM’s couldn’t have been more helpful. Meanwhile I checked the glasses and one was broken. Too tired to go back tonight to the shop I made a note to do it tomorrow.

I enjoyed my hot chocolate and we watched some Modern Family we’d downloaded to the Ipad.

Lights out around midnight I think and we’d agreed no EMH tomorrow. Sleep was not far away…..

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Wow! what a packed day. I'd forgotten the frozen show was still on and BTM looks amazing after the refurb. Can't wait to ride it - although still no ticker :sad:Your beds looked very comfy!

Wow! what a packed day. I'd forgotten the frozen show was still on and BTM looks amazing after the refurb. Can't wait to ride it - although still no ticker :sad:Your beds looked very comfy!

We did so much looking back at it, despite the 5am start! I had forgotten about the Frozen show too until about a week before we went - it was really well done. BTM was just amazing - still thinking about it now. You need to get yourself a ticker :)

The beds did look really comfy, but I felt they were a bit too hard....Lewis said his was fantastic so maybe we just picked the wrong one :laughing:

Great first day.

Thank you :goodvibes

Fabulous report!!!! Sounds like you've had a lovely time regardless of the crowds and weather!!

C x

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!