Sea World in January

Chuckers

Missing My Disneyland Day Trips :(
Because of Irma, I've had to push my vacation to January 7-14. I'm planning on doing a day at SeaWorld, but someone told me that they close attractions/rides during the off season. Is this true? I am mainly going for the coasters and penguins :) If any of the coasters are closed, the trip isn't worth it for me.

The coasters don't close, but usually the penguin ride operates only on the weekend (you can still see the penguins though)

Journey to atlantis closed during two visits in January last year. Not sure if a rehab/cold weather/or off season-crowd reason.

Penguins was closed several weekday visits last year, including 2nd week of Oct

@Joanna71985 and @keishashadow Thank you for that information. Closing the penguin exhibit in cold weather.. how... against nature! :)

I can probably do without riding Journey to Atlantis in during cooler weather. It's not that great a ride anyway. (IMHO).

That's been our experience as well as locals. Sea World has closed Journey to Atlantis in January before, but not all the rides. Disney likes to do ride maintenance then too.

That's been our experience as well as locals. Sea World has closed Journey to Atlantis in January before, but not all the rides. Disney likes to do ride maintenance then too.

True, but Disney and Universal have a ton of other stuff to do if one or two rides are down for maintenance. You close 2 rides at Sea World and, I feel, you've cut the attractions significantly.

True, but Disney and Universal have a ton of other stuff to do if one or two rides are down for maintenance. You close 2 rides at Sea World and, I feel, you've cut the attractions significantly.

To be fair; SeaWorld is an Aquarium with a couple of rides. Not a Ride park with a few animals. Disney and Universal do not put their focus on animals (though you could argue DAK is; but their original advertising was "notazoo"), seaworld prides itself with the unique product they have to offer that Disney and Universal do not have.

With rides closed, there is still plenty to see and do there! There are 4 main shows (One Ocean, Dolphin Days, Sealion High, Pets Ahoy) that are roughly 25 mins each, plus a 3-d film at turtle trek, plus animals to see in the area (rescued manatees and sea turtles); aquariums with fish to see at the Journey To Atlantis Gift Shop, Manta, and the whole Shark Encounter. You can feed Stingrays, Sealions, and Sharks. Even if the Penguin ride is closed (which is closed on weekdays to cut costs, not weather) you can still go in to see the penguins, Wild Arctic has Beluga's, Seals and Walrus' to see. At Dolphin Cove and Dolphin Nursery you can watch Dolphins play (and opt to meet a dolphin there as well). I started visiting seaworld regularly when there were far less "attractions" (as you call them) only having Wild Arctic, Journey to Atlantis, and Kraken; and with only 3 rides, there was still plenty to see and do. So even if a ride is down for routine maintenance, there's still a lot to do and see! If you're going to SeaWorld just for rides; then you've missed the point of what SeaWorld is.

To be fair; SeaWorld is an Aquarium with a couple of rides. Not a Ride park with a few animals. Disney and Universal do not put their focus on animals (though you could argue DAK is; but their original advertising was "notazoo"), seaworld prides itself with the unique product they have to offer that Disney and Universal do not have.

With rides closed, there is still plenty to see and do there! There are 4 main shows (One Ocean, Dolphin Days, Sealion High, Pets Ahoy) that are roughly 25 mins each, plus a 3-d film at turtle trek, plus animals to see in the area (rescued manatees and sea turtles); aquariums with fish to see at the Journey To Atlantis Gift Shop, Manta, and the whole Shark Encounter. You can feed Stingrays, Sealions, and Sharks. Even if the Penguin ride is closed (which is closed on weekdays to cut costs, not weather) you can still go in to see the penguins, Wild Arctic has Beluga's, Seals and Walrus' to see. At Dolphin Cove and Dolphin Nursery you can watch Dolphins play (and opt to meet a dolphin there as well). I started visiting seaworld regularly when there were far less "attractions" (as you call them) only having Wild Arctic, Journey to Atlantis, and Kraken; and with only 3 rides, there was still plenty to see and do. So even if a ride is down for routine maintenance, there's still a lot to do and see! If you're going to SeaWorld just for rides; then you've missed the point of what SeaWorld is.

I understand what you're saying.. yes, there are plenty of exhibits. I *love* sea life and arctic life. I have been to SeaWorld, San Diego several times (I lived outside of Anaheim for 4+ years). I have been to many aquariums; have pet a penguin and an otter at the Atlanta aquarium. I would go to the exhibits, but having seen the exhibits several times in various iterations, I have not had the pleasure of riding the coasters.

My thoughts too. I've looked @ the website but do not see a 'closures/rehab' section. At the very least it's helpful in planning to know what's down ahead of arriving @ the park.

Rehabs/maintenance i get. Having things closed because they decided to not properly staff the park to have everything up & running is another issue all together.

Will be in parks next Tuesday, possibly Weds or Thurs if we decide to do another tour. Will report back as to closures as I seem to recall some issues same time last Oct too.

It's so hard to plan for SW ahead of time, when they only update through December so far.
Disney has me (and I'm sure many others) planning 6 months in advance. I'm impatient, lol.
I'm eagerly awaiting January hours, etc. so I can plan my days.

It's so hard to plan for SW ahead of time, when they only update through December so far.
Disney has me (and I'm sure many others) planning 6 months in advance. I'm impatient, lol.
I'm eagerly awaiting January hours, etc. so I can plan my days.

January hours will probably pop up in a few days.

At least I am hoping they will!

So true!! I do not go to SeaWorld for the rides- I go there for the shows (I easily could spend all day just rotating between One Ocean, Dolphin Days, and Sea Lion High)

Ugh, I can't believe SW still doesn't have their hours for January up yet. ( We are looking at going the very first week...)
I have tried to call several times and the wait says it's approx. 30 minutes for an agent. Not waiting that long on the phone.
Waiting.... and waiting.... :rolleyes:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!