Sci fi dine in and ABC Commissary closing

Status
Not open for further replies.
My guess is that both of these will go eventually (or be changed) as they don't really fit the theme of the new park. When this is all over, I doubt anything will remain of the original MGM Studios/DHS except for the two main streets.

I mean ABC Commissary is one of the last remnants of the old "Movie studio" theme. I could see them retheming this to something else.
Sci-Fi (since it is just a giant square box with a restaurant inside) could easily be rethemed to something else.

I just don't see any of it happening BEFORE Toy Story Land opens up.

But the fact remains we have NO idea what they are doing with that area of the park (around the former GMR) in the long term --- What will become of Echo Lake, Indiana Jones, Star Tours, Sci-Fi, ABC Commissary, the old Sound Stage, the theater that shows Frozen. My guess is most of it will be changed, but not for a while yet. I could see them retaining the "old Hollywood" theme that goes up and down the two main streets and encompasses some of their big TS restaurants, but beyond that area, who knows.

I could see the ABC commisary closing/changing for sure. There is nothing real special about it and as stated it doens't fit the thee of the park anymore.
Sci-Fi Dine In I see staying longer as it is more unique and a well lvoed restaurant. However given it's location I can see it being at least rethemed. Being next to Star Tours (which is rumored to being closing after Galaxys Edge opens) and outdated spots like Indy stunt show. Combine these with the building housing the Frozen sing-a-long and that whole area coudl easily become a new immersive land. So it coudl get pulled into a matching them for it or even just torn down as it connects with the ABD commisarry and might decide to close both in favor of a new restuarant or attraction building.

I will be devastated if Sci-fi diner closes! I eat there every time I am in Disney, which is a fair amount. Please leave some things alone!

Brown derby is excellent food...the outside patio is a fantastic option as well.

Sci-fi is cool for the experience.

Hollywood and vine (other than breakfast), prime time and mamas...are just...no...
Thank god those of us that don't eat at HS (I finally tried Mama's in May for the first and last time and that was only because we were toting our little grandtinker so leaving the park was a not in the plans) are only a friendship boat away (soon to be Gondola ride) from the international gateway and boardwalk areas. Small plates and appetizers and food and wine Kiosks all sound better.

If anything needs to close...it's Hollywood and vine and primetime...

But they won't..it's going to be really hard to eat At the park when the Star Wars fans show up...they actually should have 2 additional sit downs and a at least an extra large quickserve ready to be built...

...but they won't...cause it's just too logical.
50's PT ??? Why would you want to close that place..It's one of the busiest TS in WDW...:confused3

Is the crowd reflective of quality?

...that's a common theme with me...
There's a whole array of different qualities of food at the many TS across WDW....Now mind you, Is it awesome food that you'd receive at Jiko, V&A or something of that? Heck no.. But for the price you pay on average( along with the antics and theming ) It's well worth the price....And true it's just good ol comfort food, but it's actually pretty good too. So, Do I think WDW would throw away a $$maker of a place like 50's? Nah, but if greed sets in, and they need to make another posh place, then I'm guessing that'll eventually make way for it. :confused3.

There's a whole array of different qualities of food at the many TS across WDW....Now mind you, Is it awesome food that you'd receive at Jiko, V&A or something of that? Heck no.. But for the price you pay on average( along with the antics and theming ) It's well worth the price....And true it's just good ol comfort food, but it's actually pretty good too. So, Do I think WDW would throw away a $$maker of a place like 50's? Nah, but if greed sets in, and they need to make another posh place, then I'm guessing that'll eventually make way for it. :confused3.

I don't think it goes anywhere unless they decide to rework that section of the park...

But many things with crowds aren't representative of the quality...I can think of quite a few...

Oh no, not the ScI FI it's my husband's favorite and our son would flip for it!
It's something you don't get to do everyday. What kid wouldn't want to sit a car booth under the stars ?

IMHO ABC Commissary is on par with Cosmic Ray's or Electric Umbrella or Restaurantsauras--your average theme park fast food. If ABC needed to move, it could easily be replicated somewhere else.

Sci-Fi OTOH is very unique in decor, seating, and atmosphere. The burgers, onion rings and shakes are consistently excellent.

A restaurant with a fun, unique atmosphere that prepares a few dishes consistently well is a guaranteed crowd pleaser and money maker.

Ate at Sci-Fi for the first time a couple of weeks ago, it was really good. I would easily order that burger and shake again. We loved the atmosphere. I don't see why they'd drop this one vs. some of the other food options in Studios.

Based on the original post, I don't believe this is actually in the works. It was just some people guessing about what would happen at D-23.

Hollywood is gonna be crushed when Star Wars opens. They need more food places and frankly a lot more capacity (the latter is discussion for a different thread)

It's actually harder to find burgers in WDW nowadays. I like good burgers but they are definitely in short supply.

I see nothing wrong with offering comfort food either but it has to be good and I can do without the antics. 50's Primetime defines mediocrity to me.

Why can't there just be a good variety? WDW could have restaurants with good burgers, meat loaf and "weird" food (not all in the same place) and everyone could be happy.

Hurts the bottom line.

I just wasted some of my time that I'll never get back. I thought this would be an informative thread, but I was wrong. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!