Sci fi dine in and ABC Commissary closing

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you cry for bagels...you must be from New Jersey, Long Island, or Connecticut...it's the law

Ok, I really want the smoked salmon more than the bagels, but it seems like such an easy, normal breakfast food, I'm shocked they're no where to be found. If there was a decent bagel shop, the smoked salmon would be there. Of course, you're just now starting to see shrimp and grits on breakfast menus. #shrug

What about Blaze Pizza at Disney Springs? I heard good things about this one but haven't tried it yet.
We're getting 2 locations in my state here soon: 1 will be very very close to me and one a few hours away. I'll have to try it out when the one near me opens.

De-luxe burger in Disney springs are the best burgers in the world
I'm debating if we'll go here for late lunch on arrival day or somewhere else at Disney Springs...it's hard to pick what place. I did watch the DIS Unplugged vlog on it and thought it looked pretty good.

Insert my typical lamentation about bagels and lox and the sad, sad state of WDW bagels in general. Like no one is WDW wants a bagel sandwich, a good smear, some freaking rainbow bagels...ugh.
It's why I'm thankful my family has dvc. Eat in the room for breakfast is a blessing

They will never get rid of "Sci fi", that place is awesome. Where else can you feel like you're at a 50's drive in? Besides it isn't in any of the newly themed lands, so it doesn't need to be rethemed.

Plus it is a money maker.

Sci fi and San angel inn have arguably the most unique atmosphere in the entire complex. I don't think they'll get rid of it.

American palettes are an issue - basically, it means we can't have nice things. Dating only highlights this in the worst possible way and also makes it clear who I'm not going to want to go out with again really fast! Dining plan...please, don't.

"Lemme see ... I'd like the Chilean Sea Bass, but instead of the grilled asparagus I'd like the french fries. Oh, and can you trade out the fish for chicken strips? Thanks. And a bud light. Babe, would you like an appetizer? Yeah? OK, bring us the onion rings."

I guess since it's Andy's backyard, burgers and hot dogs make sense.

TSL lunch food choices:
  • cut up hot dog with mac & cheese
  • chicken nuggets with ketchup
  • ice cream with gummy bears and a pickle
  • pb&j sandwiches
  • deli meat, cheese and crackers

Sci fi and San angel inn have arguably the most unique atmosphere in the entire complex. I don't think they'll get rid of it.

Agree, and why get ride of San Angel .. what will they do expand the market? BUT I've never eaten there because I can see what they can see from the market and the boat ride. It doesn't feel exclusive enough for me.

I assume Disney felt like you could hop over to Epcot for "good food options" so didn't want to invest into food for HS.

And I certainly have hoped over to Epcot for good food options. Most of the time though when it is our Studios day we do a breakfast at our resort or the buffet breakfast at Cape May and then catch an early dinner at Blue Zoo, YSH or FF and then head back to the studios for the evening.

In my mind...it's gone. I wouldn't eat pizza in Disney world under any circumstances anyway...except via Napoli a couple of times and the flatbread at contempo cafe...quite tasty

You can't get real pizza anywhere in Florida, it's not just Disney. Once you head south of Jersey they don't know how to do pizza right! (at least in this Northerner's opinion!)

Insert my typical lamentation about bagels and lox and the sad, sad state of WDW bagels in general. Like no one is WDW wants a bagel sandwich, a good smear, some freaking rainbow bagels...ugh.

We can lament together. I'm a southerner who bemoans having to go to table service just to get fried chicken. Not nuggets, real fried chicken to gnaw off the bone. WDW needs some quick service fryers.

We can lament together. I'm a southerner who bemoans having to go to table service just to get fried chicken. Not nuggets, real fried chicken to gnaw off the bone. WDW needs some quick service fryers.

I'm worse, being from Nashville, all fried chicken should be hot. It's how I was raised. You fried it, made gravy from the drippings, but as the gravy was making you made the fried chicken hot which is what the gravy and biscuits cooled off. But I live in East Nash, so I can walk/quick Uber to a ton of places...

ETA: good southern, who's gotten around:) Also, talk to me about the crap cornbread they sell at WDW. NOPE!

I'm glad everyone concurs with my opinion, it seems unlikely they would close Sci fi. But let's face it Disney has made some desicions that have left us scratching our heads in the past. When I read that I thought "what the.....

Ok, I really want the smoked salmon more than the bagels, but it seems like such an easy, normal breakfast food, I'm shocked they're no where to be found. If there was a decent bagel shop, the smoked salmon would be there. Of course, you're just now starting to see shrimp and grits on breakfast menus. #shrug
Have you tried the smoked salmon sandwich at Norway bakery? It won't rock your world, but it qualifies as smoked salmon for breakfast, or any time.

I love Sci Fi's theming, but we can't eat there anymore, not unless they have fixed the darned camera. The last two times we went, the film was so out of focus that by the end of both times, my oldest daughter had to go to the ladies room to throw up, and I had a splitting headache for hours afterwards.
You'll be happy to know that its safe to go back. Last time we were there the film was just fine.

Have you tried the smoked salmon sandwich at Norway bakery? It won't rock your world, but it qualifies as smoked salmon for breakfast, or any time.

Yeah, I've had it a couple of times. Thanks for recommendation though!

I'm glad everyone concurs with my opinion, it seems unlikely they would close Sci fi. But let's face it Disney has made some desicions that have left us scratching our heads in the past. When I read that I thought "what the.....
In my opinion, Sci Fi is the best themed restaurant on property. I would be sad to see it go. They have made some changes over the years that I didn't really like and/or get (popcorn when you sat down was absolutely awesome, btw), but the theme is still there and I love it. For as bad as the counter service options are at DHS, I think that they more than make up for it with the table service restaurants.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts