Saratoga Springs Studio vs. Old Key West Studio -- UPDATE

RedSox68

Retired 2021 -- All the Time to Travel Now!
Well, they couldn't get us Beach Club through the rental agency and we have to wait for the 7 months window, so we are looking at SS or OKW. Anyone with any preferences for one or the other and the reasons why? There would be 3 adults in a studio.

Thanks much. :)

My preference is OKW, less points. SSR has a bed and a pullout, and for 3 adults the washroom setup would be easier. OKW has two beds and a sink in the kitchenet, with the full bath. I also like the OKW.

OKW is an older resort, SSR is newer and has less allergens if that matters.

:earsboy: Bill

OKW studios are significantly bigger than SSR studios...but SSR is "easy walking" to Downtown Disney. While OKW does have a walking path, it's not well-advertised and a bit hard to find--and about a mile (SSR has two paths--one to West Side and one to Market Place; both are shorter in distance to DTD, pretty much wherever you stay in the resort)...

SSR also has one "minor" feature which I particularly value...there's a rack w/hooks (for hanging jackets, ponchos, etc) in the entry way...I LOVE that feature! Wish all the resorts had that!

Otherwise the theming is different, but both resorts are wonderful (I think)...lots of pleasant walkways (I like strolling about); good stores in both resorts...SSR's quick service food is better, I think--there's more variety at Artist's Palette than there is at OKW's QS place--plus, OKW's is outside seating/eating while SSR's has inside tables...both have really good sit-down restaurants (Olivia's at OKW and Turf Club at SSR)...

In short--if you don't find two beds (OKW) "compelling" over a bed and a sofa (pullout), or unless you really value the extra space in the studio at OKW, I'd say the two resorts are really just personal preference in terms of theming--and as the PP pointed out, the "points cost" is noticeably less at OKW...

Have fun wherever you go...

Thank you all so much for the replies. I found out that the two resorts are within walking distance of each other, so whichever one we don't get, we can check out the other one ;)

Still on a waitlist for Beach Club at the 7 month window, but I think our 2nd choice will be Saratoga Springs and our third OKW.

It would be a good idea to book your second choice resort now if it is available and waitlist for the resort you really want. That way you know you will have somewhere to stay if your waitlist does not come through. Enjoy your vacation.

I think the pools at Saratoga are great and having the food court is really nice. However, having two beds rather than using a sleeper is better for adults. Last time I booked a studio at SSR, I got upgraded to a 1bedroom for no extra points. It was a lovely surprise!

It would be a good idea to book your second choice resort now if it is available and waitlist for the resort you really want. That way you know you will have somewhere to stay if your waitlist does not come through. Enjoy your vacation.

Thanks, but I'm booking through a rental site (I don't own DVC points), so I have to wait to see if my second choice comes up at the 7 month mark. My original first choice was Grand Floridian, but that's a no go at all -- all booked for my week. My third choice is Saratoga Springs.

OKAY, so latest update is we have cancelled the first request for Beach Club. It's too iffy and I'm not happy with a lot of the reviews I'm reading about the condition of the resort needing upgrading, and I was very worried about a sofa bed. :scared: So we requested OKW as first choice and Saratoga Springs as second.

Question: Does the boat only go to Downtown Disney from there or can you take it to Hollywood Studios? Is it only bus transportation to all the other resorts?

Thanks again.

OKAY, so latest update is we have cancelled the first request for Beach Club. It's too iffy and I'm not happy with a lot of the reviews I'm reading about the condition of the resort needing upgrading, and I was very worried about a sofa bed. :scared: So we requested OKW as first choice and Saratoga Springs as second.

Question: Does the boat only go to Downtown Disney from there or can you take it to Hollywood Studios? Is it only bus transportation to all the other resorts?

Thanks again.

Only to DTD, the waterways are separate and not connected and pretty far apart.

YAY, got word today that we are booked in a studio villa at OKW. I'm excited about the reviews I've read and am sure we'll enjoy it here.

Does anyone have any suggestions for building location?

YAY, got word today that we are booked in a studio villa at OKW. I'm excited about the reviews I've read and am sure we'll enjoy it here.

Does anyone have any suggestions for building location?

Congrats! OKW is our home resort and we especially enjoy the villas with a Canal view. If that is a request through your agency, that would be my suggestion.

We requested a canal view and ended up in building 62 next to the hospitality House. The location was perfect and we loved the resort. No matter what building you are in you will be close to a bus stop. We found the bus transportation to be very good.

We requested a canal view and ended up in building 62 next to the hospitality House. The location was perfect and we loved the resort. No matter what building you are in you will be close to a bus stop. We found the bus transportation to be very good.

The map looks so huge that I'm concerned about walking distance from the outer buildings to the restaurant, etc. It looks like miles on the map :(

You can hop on a bus for a ride to HH.

So true. But one "criticism" I've read is that it seems to be hit or miss on which direction the buses are going in when they pick you up. Some are still looping around, some are leaving. I guess I can ask the bus driver if he's been past the HH yet.

The farthest building from HH, building 50 is about .63 miles from the check-in area, or the equivalent of about 1/2 way around World Showcase Promenade at EPCOT.

The farthest building from HH, building 50 is about .63 miles from the check-in area, or the equivalent of about 1/2 way around World Showcase Promenade at EPCOT.

Great information. Thanks, now I have perspective of what to expect.

I did request a top floor, water view when we confirmed the booking. Too funny, I'm saving $380 over what it would have cost me to stay at Port Orleans. Can't beat that :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter