San Diego Zoo vs. Safari Park

creamypuffs

Mouseketeer
I have a 7 and 4 year old and only have 1 day for zoo on our itinerary. I can't decide! We will have a car and traveling to either of them is not an issue. We will have the Go Card and don't want to pay extra for the tours at Safari Park.

Considering that, what would you recommend as this is our first time to SD?

Thanks!

I have a 7 and 4 year old and only have 1 day for zoo on our itinerary. I can't decide! We will have a car and traveling to either of them is not an issue. We will have the Go Card and don't want to pay extra for the tours at Safari Park.

Considering that, what would you recommend as this is our first time to SD?

Thanks!

The standard answer is probably the SD Zoo, and it's certainly more famous. My personal preference is the Safari Park.

If your main goal is to the most different types of animals, then the Zoo is more efficient in that regard. It has more animals in a smaller space. It also has the pandas, which is a big draw. It's similar to any other zoo, but obviously a really good zoo.

The Safari park (without paying extra) is much more spread out, so there is more walking and fewer animals. There is 1 Africa tram tour you get for free, which drives around a very large open space where many different animals live together, a little more like you might see in nature. There are other ones, but you have to pay for them. There are also zoo-like exhibits, but again they tend to be larger in space. There are a couple other more interactive features, like an enclosure with birds where you can feed them and they land on your head, and a lemur walk.

Overall, I prefer the Safari Park, but the safer answer is probably the zoo.

Last edited:
I would pick the safari park. I've been to both several times and both are great.
The reason for my choice is that we have a great zoo here so I like to do something different when in SD. There are great zoos everywhere and very few safari type parks.

The safari park tram tour gives you fairly close up views. The animals have huge enclosures and some are mixed together as in the wild. There is a petting zoo type place with the cutest baby animals (at least when we were there). And the bird feeding as mentioned above.

Wow I miss California and all the great places and weather not available in Canada.

Enjoy whichever place you decide to go.

Overall, I prefer the Safari Park, but the safer answer is probably the zoo.
I agree. I love the Safari Park, but for the ages of children you will have with you, the zoo will be an overall better choice. They have a children's zoo where everything is made smaller for children's enjoyment. You will see a much bigger of variety of animals and everyone in your group should be able to find something that is memorable.

can you do both the zoo and safari park in one day?
There are certain times of the year (summer and Christmas) when the zoo has night zoo and is open later. While it would be still be very tiring to do both parks in one day, I suppose you could do Safari Park in the morning and then later in the day drive down the zoo (30 miles) for later afternoon and night zoo. Most of the animals are off display at night time, though. You really need at least 4 hours at each park if you want to see everything.

Agree it would be exhausting. It will take at least an hour to get out of one park and drive to the next, and during the summer it will be HOT at the Safari Park. If you want to do both, please do separate days. I prefer the Safari Park, but if you're staying in SD the zoo will be much more convenient.

With kids that age, I would pick to zoo. Safari Park is wonderful but is 45 minutes from San Diego proper and depending on when you are here, it could be HOT. Safari Park is really good if you pay for the added attractions. If this is your first time here, do the zoo, and then take some time to walk around our beautiful Balboa Park. Kids will love the Science Center, The Nat, and the Model Train Museum if you're feeling really ambitious after a day at the zoo.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter