San Diego 8 full days-7 y/o twins & 5 y/o

dalumz

Earning My Ears
Our family of 5 will have 8 full days in San Diego end of July - beginning of June (7 y/o boy/girl twins & 5 y/o boy). We're doing Sea World 7/28-29. We have tix for Safari Park, Zoo & 3-day LEGOLAND hopper. I was thinking of doing some museums @ Balboa after the Zoo. Also wanted to check out Cabrillo Monument, La Jolla (sea lions/tide pools), Centennial Park & maybe the Children's museum.
Do you think Balboa museums is too much to squeeze in with the zoo? Do you think we should split days between the Zoo & Safari Park? We're coming from Hawaii, so don't really need to much beach time. The kids would probably have more fun in the hotel pool.
Their 1st plane ride was 2 yrs ago, when we went to Disneyland. This upcoming trip will be their 2nd plane ride....please help with our itinerary. :thanks:

The Safari Park and the SD Zoo are not close together, so I wouldn't split days between them. The Zoo itself can take a whole day at a leisurely pace, especially with young kids. The Safari Park is nearer Legoland than the Zoo (although it is still about half an hour away). Where will you be staying? That will make a big difference in how you plan your trip so that you can do your best to avoid traffic.

You can easily spend a full day at the zoo. You could spend a couple days at balboa park. It just kind of depends. I'm sure if you wanted to just see some key exhibits at the zoo and then just rush through a couple museums i'm sure you could do that both in one day. Just depedns on what you want to see.

The zoo definitely takes all day, and it's very hilly. I wouldn't want to do anything else that day, lots of walking. The Safari Park could probably be done in half a day, but we live here so we don't have to see everything every time. If you want to do it all, it may take all day and it's very hot there so not sure I'd want to do anything else but a pool that day. Maybe do Safari Park in the morning and then when it gets too hot head to LegoLand for the water park?

Do you think Balboa museums is too much to squeeze in with the zoo?
It's too much. The zoo can take you most of the day and museums will be closed in the evenings. It would be much easier to do half day at Balboa park with half day in La Jolla since you don't think your kids will want beach time. Old Town is close to Balboa park than La Jolla, though. I know you didn't list Old Town as a place you wanted to visit but its good for a couple hours if you are interested in historical stuff at all. 3 days at Legoland actually sounds really long to me. You may want to do La Jolla on one of those days. Seal and Sea Lions are still there having fun at sunset.
Do you think we should split days between the Zoo & Safari Park?
No. The parks are too far apart and each takes a long time if you want to see everything. I do recommend doing any of the add ons at these parks. Behind the scenes tours are very good. There are a lot of other options at the Safari Park, too, but not sure if they will hold the attention of children their ages.
We're coming from Hawaii, so don't really need to much beach time. The kids would probably have more fun in the hotel pool.
Since you don't need beach time, you may want to look at old Town trolley tours. They have a hop on/off option that will take you to lots of the areas highlights. There's one just for La Jolla beaches. https://www.trolleytours.com/san-diego/day-trips-la-jolla

With your small children, I would leave a full day each for Zoo, Safari Park, Seaworld and Legoland (more if you want to do the Waterpark and Aquarium, as you said you have 3-day tickets). If you finish early they'll be tired and happy to just hang out at the hotel pool. For your non-park days, the Trolley or SEAL tours would be great for showing you the City. The New Children's museum by the stadium is fun too.

The Safari Park and the SD Zoo are not close together, so I wouldn't split days between them. The Zoo itself can take a whole day at a leisurely pace, especially with young kids. The Safari Park is nearer Legoland than the Zoo (although it is still about half an hour away). Where will you be staying? That will make a big difference in how you plan your trip so that you can do your best to avoid traffic.

Thanks for the suggestion. Is it too much if we do the Zoo one day, and Safari Park the next? We'll actually be staying at a few places. Most nights will be @ Homewood Suites (Sea World Area), then a night @ Hampton Inn Carlsbad. Then either at Hilton Garden Inn San Diego/Rancho Bernardo or Hilton San Diego Resort & Spa....haven't decided which one yet.

You can easily spend a full day at the zoo. You could spend a couple days at balboa park. It just kind of depends. I'm sure if you wanted to just see some key exhibits at the zoo and then just rush through a couple museums i'm sure you could do that both in one day. Just depedns on what you want to see.

Thanks! I think my kids might get tired/bored after a few hours at the Zoo, maybe I'm wrong. I guess we'll plan a full Zoo day, and cut short if they get cranky.

The zoo definitely takes all day, and it's very hilly. I wouldn't want to do anything else that day, lots of walking. The Safari Park could probably be done in half a day, but we live here so we don't have to see everything every time. If you want to do it all, it may take all day and it's very hot there so not sure I'd want to do anything else but a pool that day. Maybe do Safari Park in the morning and then when it gets too hot head to LegoLand for the water park?

Oooh, Safari Park & LEGOLAND water park sounds like a plan! Thanks for that suggestion! For the Zoo, we'll definitely be taking advantage of the free buses to avoid as many hills/walking as possible. LOL.

It's too much. The zoo can take you most of the day and museums will be closed in the evenings. It would be much easier to do half day at Balboa park with half day in La Jolla since you don't think your kids will want beach time. Old Town is close to Balboa park than La Jolla, though. I know you didn't list Old Town as a place you wanted to visit but its good for a couple hours if you are interested in historical stuff at all. 3 days at Legoland actually sounds really long to me. You may want to do La Jolla on one of those days. Seal and Sea Lions are still there having fun at sunset.

No. The parks are too far apart and each takes a long time if you want to see everything. I do recommend doing any of the add ons at these parks. Behind the scenes tours are very good. There are a lot of other options at the Safari Park, too, but not sure if they will hold the attention of children their ages.
Since you don't need beach time, you may want to look at old Town trolley tours. They have a hop on/off option that will take you to lots of the areas highlights. There's one just for La Jolla beaches. https://www.trolleytours.com/san-diego/day-trips-la-jolla

Thanks for all your suggestions! I was actually thinking of stopping through Old Town, so thanks for that info. I was also thinking of the trolley tours as well, but wasn't too sure if it would be worth it. More to think of. Thank you!!

With your small children, I would leave a full day each for Zoo, Safari Park, Seaworld and Legoland (more if you want to do the Waterpark and Aquarium, as you said you have 3-day tickets). If you finish early they'll be tired and happy to just hang out at the hotel pool. For your non-park days, the Trolley or SEAL tours would be great for showing you the City. The New Children's museum by the stadium is fun too.

Yes, definitely doing the waterpark & aquarium @ LEGOLAND. We were thinking of doing the Children's museum too. Are there two different ones there? Wanna make sure if we do go, we go to the right one. Thanks for your suggestions!

Sorry, I was only referring to one children's museum, it's called the New Children's Museum. thinkplaycreate.org

My family just spent 7 days in San Diego, and no way would we have survived all you have planned. We like to get around and do stuff, too. We did 2 days in Legoland, then a beach day (very much needed to relax), then the zoo, which completely took all day. The next day we spent the afternoon in La Jolla which was totally worth it! Our last day we drove back up to Legoland for the aquarium and 1/2 day in the park before driving home to the LA area. By the end, we were fried! My kids are 6 and 3, which I'm sure adds to not wanting to do more, but I really think doing any more would have made everyone even more cranky and taken a lot of fun out. I think with your 3 days in legoland, zoo, safari park plans, you're pretty good. La Jolla and one or two other 1/2 day things might work, but the hotel pool is a great choice too. You mentioned staying in Carlsbad only one day, and then the sea world area for the rest, but Legoland and the safari park are about 30 mins away from sea world. If you have 4 days in that area, maybe flip flopping those plans would work out better?

My family just spent 7 days in San Diego, and no way would we have survived all you have planned. We like to get around and do stuff, too. We did 2 days in Legoland, then a beach day (very much needed to relax), then the zoo, which completely took all day. The next day we spent the afternoon in La Jolla which was totally worth it! Our last day we drove back up to Legoland for the aquarium and 1/2 day in the park before driving home to the LA area. By the end, we were fried! My kids are 6 and 3, which I'm sure adds to not wanting to do more, but I really think doing any more would have made everyone even more cranky and taken a lot of fun out. I think with your 3 days in legoland, zoo, safari park plans, you're pretty good. La Jolla and one or two other 1/2 day things might work, but the hotel pool is a great choice too. You mentioned staying in Carlsbad only one day, and then the sea world area for the rest, but Legoland and the safari park are about 30 mins away from sea world. If you have 4 days in that area, maybe flip flopping those plans would work out better?
LOL, thanks for your input! Since we're only able to go on vacations every other year, we want to pack in whatever we can. We probably won't do the entire zoo or safari park, just the 'must-see" exhibits & animals we don't have at our local zoo. We'll definitely be moving at the kids' pace though. I'm still looking for hotels, but am only able to get 1 night in Carslbad right now. Is the traffic really bad there? I'm hoping it's not like rush hour traffic all day. We'll probably have 1 day to relax @ the hotel / do laundry. If they get bored, we can explore town in the afternoon. Thanks again!

I'm still looking for hotels, but am only able to get 1 night in Carslbad right now. Is the traffic really bad there?
All the beach towns can be backed up during the summer. I wouldn't worry too much about it, just keep that in mind.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter