Safeway gift card to buy Disney gift card?

The manager at my store shot me down hard a couple days ago. Cashier screwed up and had to call manager and she said no paying for gift cards with gift cards. I’ll sneak back through when she isn’t hovering around and finish mine off with a, uh, wiser looking cashier who won’t need the manager but I won’t be getting anymore Safeway.
I plan to do it again until someone tells me that I cannot. There's nothing that says it cannot be done and if I use a physical GC, it's less obvious as to how I'm paying.

I used to work for Kroger and have a lot of friends still there, I was the pricing manager. so I know a lot about how the computers are programmed for sales. At our store and all the stores in our network you could not buy gift cards with a Kroger gift card, the computer would not let the transaction go through. If you were buying groceries and another gift card with a Kroger card you can apply the Kroger card towards the amount of your groceries, no more. It was not a matter of whether the cashier knew the rules, the transaction simply could not be completed.
As another person stated, Safeway is in no way affiliated with Kroger, therefore your Kroger knowledge as a moot point and does not answer the question that was asked about Safeway. Secondly, I have used a Kroger GC to purchase Disney GC many times over the past 4 years as Fred Meyer, which is a Kroger affiliate.

I just wanted to update that I did this again with another physical GC and had no problems. I don't know if printing out an eGC draws attention to the fact that you're using a GC and that's what gets some people shut down. I don't ask. I just swipe the GC thru the card reader and it works at my local store. I'll be trying a 3rd time when I have another $100 in Amazon GCs to redeem.

Report for the New Year: The Safeway POS system is still coded to accept Safeway gift cards for third party gift cards (including Disney), and will process if the cashier rings it up or you complete self checkout. You may get resistance from cashiers unwilling to finish the transaction, and they will tell you it is no longer allowed as of this year 2019. I had to have a manager come over to give the OK. Not sure how long until this whole GC for GC thing is wiped out completely but for now it is working, of course YMMV. I am in AZ and used a $50 physical GC. This is how I've always transferred my Amazon balance to Disney, by way of SW so I hope it doesn't end.

Last edited:

Update: Successfully purchased a Disney gift card using the Safeway eGift card yesterday. Can confirm both types of gift cards, physical and eGift are working.

Update:

I was shot down today by the manger and given an email print out from corporate stating that as of 2019 you can no longer buy third party gift cards with Safeway gift cards, no exceptions. Again, YMMV but it looks like the hammer has come down.

^^ I think most stores will operate that way eventually. Some just take longer to implement the policy. There is too much potential for fraud/theft/money laundering that can't be traced when one gift card is used to purchase another.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!