Safeway gift card to buy Disney gift card?

i don't think you can. Their official policy includes this wording:

The Safeway Gift Card provides the ideal solution. ... The Safeway gift card is accepted at over 1,200 store locations and across the U.S. Card can be used for merchandise purchases only at any of the stores listed on this card, non-merchandise purchases (e.g. gift cards, money orders, lottery) are not allowed.

I have done it but it has been a couple years. I think it will be like most of these situations were it varies by store and staff. Let us know your results if you try please.

I have done it but it has been a couple years. I think it will be like most of these situations were it varies by store and staff. Let us know your results if you try please.
Did it today. Just had to print it out (that's literally stated on the cards). Apparently it's YMMV depending on your store but the computer system allows it. I tested out $25 worth first and when that worked I went bigger. My store had variable load Disney up to $500 and TONS of other types of gift cards. Although there were only a couple Disney left, I think someone hit that store for Disney cards long before I found it...

Did it today. Just had to print it out (that's literally stated on the cards). Apparently it's YMMV depending on your store but the computer system allows it. I tested out $25 worth first and when that worked I went bigger. My store had variable load Disney up to $500 and TONS of other types of gift cards. Although there were only a couple Disney left, I think someone hit that store for Disney cards long before I found it...

Was there a deal on Safeway gift cards? I know sometimes you can earn them from pharmacy purchases but something else I am missing?

Was there a deal on Safeway gift cards? I know sometimes you can earn them from pharmacy purchases but something else I am missing?
Nah, specific people were targeted with an amex offer for using membership rewards points on amazon and from a glitch we've been able to purchase 3rd party gift cards. Sorry to get hopes up!

Anyone tried it?

I'm going to try this also. I got some grocery cards ...well to buy some groceries but in the back of
my mind I thought i would try to throw in a DIS card to see how it goes.

Of course all this would be moot if Amazon just sold Disney Gift Cards. Any chance of this
happening in the future you think?

I used to work for Kroger and have a lot of friends still there, I was the pricing manager. so I know a lot about how the computers are programmed for sales. At our store and all the stores in our network you could not buy gift cards with a Kroger gift card, the computer would not let the transaction go through. If you were buying groceries and another gift card with a Kroger card you can apply the Kroger card towards the amount of your groceries, no more. It was not a matter of whether the cashier knew the rules, the transaction simply could not be completed.

I used to work for Kroger and have a lot of friends still there, I was the pricing manager. so I know a lot about how the computers are programmed for sales. At our store and all the stores in our network you could not buy gift cards with a Kroger gift card, the computer would not let the transaction go through. If you were buying groceries and another gift card with a Kroger card you can apply the Kroger card towards the amount of your groceries, no more. It was not a matter of whether the cashier knew the rules, the transaction simply could not be completed.

Interesting but our Safeway is in no way affiliated with Kroger.

I think that I may try this out. I've been looking for a way to convert Amazon GCs into Disney GCs and IIRC you can purchase 3rd party GCs with an Amazon GC. Like you, I'll start small and try it with a $25 Safeway GC. Then if it works, I'll go larger. If worse comes to worse, I certainly can find $25 worth of groceries to purchase.

I think that I may try this out. I've been looking for a way to convert Amazon GCs into Disney GCs and IIRC you can purchase 3rd party GCs with an Amazon GC. Like you, I'll start small and try it with a $25 Safeway GC. Then if it works, I'll go larger. If worse comes to worse, I certainly can find $25 worth of groceries to purchase.

That is my plan as well!!

Careful though- Safeway sucked me in! I saw in their add they were selling Cheesecake Factory Brown Bread loaves and decided that might be fun to try- and the whole fam thought it was even better than in restaurant. They've already requested more while we're still near a Safeway :sad2:

Careful though- Safeway sucked me in! I saw in their add they were selling Cheesecake Factory Brown Bread loaves and decided that might be fun to try- and the whole fam thought it was even better than in restaurant. They've already requested more while we're still near a Safeway :sad2:
Meh! I have Wegman's, Whole Foods, Trader Joe's and Fresh Market all within a 10 minute drive from my house. I've developed an immunity to impulse buying.

Print it out?

I did the Amazon/Safeway/Disney deal while traveling this week. YMMV based on each cashier. The first transaction I had a physical card and had no issues with the gc in the self checkout lane (other than the fact they had to come over and approve the gift card purchase). I then purchased egift cards through Amazon. It took two cashiers to figure out how to deal with the barcode that I had on my phone (had to be scanned in the regular line). For my last transaction, I printed out the barcode and went through the regular line with no issues. Great discount, but lots of work!

I just wanted to come back and report my experience.

I had ordered a physical $100 Safeway GC from Amazon. It took the scenic route to get here but it arrived yesterday. I grabbed a variable-load Disney GC from the card display and went to the register (no self checkout at my store). Cashier rang it up, I swiped the GC and...magnetic strip read error. Ran it thru again and it worked!

Thank you, @gottalovepluto ! This is exactly what I needed to convert my Perk rewards to Disney GCs now that the Target GC -> Disney GC method is gone.

I just wanted to come back and report my experience.

I had ordered a physical $100 Safeway GC from Amazon. It took the scenic route to get here but it arrived yesterday. I grabbed a variable-load Disney GC from the card display and went to the register (no self checkout at my store). Cashier rang it up, I swiped the GC and...magnetic strip read error. Ran it thru again and it worked!

Thank you, @gottalovepluto ! This is exactly what I needed to convert my Perk rewards to Disney GCs now that the Target GC -> Disney GC method is gone.
The manager at my store shot me down hard a couple days ago. Cashier screwed up and had to call manager and she said no paying for gift cards with gift cards. I’ll sneak back through when she isn’t hovering around and finish mine off with a, uh, wiser looking cashier who won’t need the manager but I won’t be getting anymore Safeway.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter