Sacrebleu! A Castle to Chateau training journal (updated 09/25)

Training Recap
Week 3

Couch to 5K - Week 2 (Part 2)

For the runs in Week 2, you will begin with a brisk 5-minute warm-up walk then you will alternate 90 seconds of running, with 2 minutes of walking, for a total of 20 minutes.

20th - 26th March 2017
Monday: REST (13,263)
Tuesday: Run (13,859)
Wednesday: Walk to work (14,922)
Thursday: Run (12,754)
Friday: REST (12,560)
Saturday: Run (6,138)
Sunday: REST (1,313)

Total Steps: 74,809

Week 2 (2).JPG

So this week I was repeating week 2 of the couch to 5k challenge and I'm really happy with how the week went! So as you can probably see the first two runs were identical and that's because I was able re-do my workout on my treadmill at the gym. After you login to the machine you can click on a previous workout and repeat it, hence the data is exactly same because it was the exact same run!

For my final run I decided to run outside... I got out my Garmin that has just been gathering dust on my shelf for months and I went out and completed a short loop around my area twice to cover the allocated time. The difference in my performance per the stats it's pretty noticeable but I didn't feel like I exerted myself anymore on this run. I've always found that I am quicker on my outdoor runs.

It was a lovely day so I took a selfie with the blue sky when I finished
33835146526_9bc5eef7df_b.jpg

And yes... my earphones are robots... :teeth:

Last edited:
Training Recap
Week 3

Couch to 5K - Week 2 (Part 2)​
For the runs in Week 3, you will begin with brisk 5-minute warm-up walk followed by 2 repetitions of the following; 90 seconds of running, 90 seconds of walking, 3 minutes of running, 3 minutes of walking.

27th March - 2nd April 2017
Monday: Walk to work & Rugby (17,868)
Tuesday: Rest (10,458)
Wednesday: Walk to work (12,057)
Thursday: Run (12,589)
Friday: Walk to work & run (15,790)
Saturday: Run (6,192)
Sunday: REST (1,852)

Total Steps: 76,806

Week 3.JPG
It was originally my plan to do my first run at lunch on Monday but I was pretty busy in work and decided I'd probably be fine to run Tuesday. I'd found the week before that I was a bit sore on Tuesday from rugby so hence I was trying to get the first one in ahead of that.

I play tag rugby on a Monday and really enjoy it, I like team sports and this is a no contact version of rugby, or at least it's supposed to be! At one point during the game I was very close to the try line and a guy from the other team was trying to get to my tag and instead sort of tripped me up by blocking me with his knee which WHACKED off my knee and I did a bit of a somersault over his leg and onto the ground...

In case you've no idea what I'm talking about this is how you should tackle someone
897londontag13.jpg

So anyway... I got a penalty and scored a try and our team won BUT my knee was sore. I already knew I was going to get a whopper bruise. Tuesday it was too sore to run... Wednesday was also too sore to run and my knee was not looking pretty (the photo does not do it justice & btw I'm wearing shorts)

33746828621_aa9c11fc37_b.jpg

By Thursday I was able to run and did my first run of the week 3 plan. It went OK but I did find the longer split stretched out to 3mins challenging and my knee was a bit fragile. Friday was better, I breezed through the full run and wasn't clock watching for the 3min splits. On Saturday then I decided I would get my third run in because I just don't do Sundays. That meant 3 runs in a row which wasn't ideal but I really wanted to stick to the plan. I ran outside and again noticed a massive improvement on my treadmill pace. This was my best run so far! I enjoyed it, the weather was nice and I felt great afterwards...

Loving my 'I don't sweat this is pixie dust' water bottle!

33032382584_02e6596f9b_b.jpg

Sunday I rested and I paid for my back to back runs. My knee was sore and uncomfortable and I felt that familiar pressure feeling around the kneecap that I used to get with Dopey training. I've been trying to stretch more than I used to but I think I need to get back into foam rolling and epsom salt baths as my training picks up instead of waiting for an injury to happen first.

I also decided that next week I'm going to repeat week 3 of the couch to 5k challenge. Week 4 is a big step up so I want to be fully comfortable with week 3 and also allow my knee to rest a bit.​

OMG I LOVE THOSE EARBUDS!!!

Great job this weekend! :yay:

Haha thank you!! I ended up buying them because I'd forgotten mine one day, they were relatively cheap but they are actually super comfortable and have good noise isolation!

Thank you!! I'm a little bit behind in posting so that was actually the weekend before but I've just posted this past weeks too and you know what I did a great job then so I'll take that compliment and RUN WITH IT... hahaha :tiptoe:

Joining in! Seems like you are progressing well, but seems like a good idea to do some repeats especially with a sore knee. OUCH!!

Yes...it is definitely not sweat...it's pixiedust:

We are kindred spirits with outside vs treadmill for speediness.
I used to really like having the different tasks/workouts every week when I did C25k and when I got to the "run 20 min straight" and no more intervals I was like "Waaaahhhhh...noooo!!"

I'll think happy thoughts for you knee!!!

Training Recap
Week 4

3rd - 9th April 2017
Monday: Rugby (16,524)
Tuesday: Walk to Work (15,556)
Wednesday: Rest (14,084)
Thursday: Walk to Work (14,424)
Friday: Walk to work (17,728)
Saturday: Tennis (10,824)
Sunday: REST (1,793)

Total Steps: 90,933

So....... I had a pretty terrible week running wise.... I did not not do a single run :sad2:

Turns out I REALLY paid for doing those three runs back to back last week. It was still a bit sore on Monday but I played Tag Rugby anyway and that really did it! My knee was constantly clicking all week and it was really painful to fully bend. I can only explain it as like a feeling of pain and pressure around the knee and it always felt like it needed to 'crack' to relieve the pressure. I need to get myself set up with a physio because this is the same issue I've had during Dopey training and for the Disneyland Paris Half. I thought after not running for so long I could just start fresh and really didn't expect to be struggling with my knee again only a few weeks in.

Apart from running I actually had a pretty decent week, Rugby was good fun and Wednesday night I had a great night out with my two best friends. I did pay for that on Thursday though with a bit of a sore head! Friday night I went to an awesome food experience called 'Chambers of Flavours' which involves going into a 'machine' and travelling through dimensions to your different courses. It was fully immersive and the food was outstanding!
33913085146_0581f2a208_b.jpg

33796319102_725ee7854f_b.jpg

Saturday I went to my first ever tennis lesson! I've never really played tennis but on my last two holidays with my partner we played tennis (with him teaching me) and we're going away again in just under a month so I'd like to be a bit better. I find I pick up sports pretty well in general but obviously he's a lot better than me as he's played for years!

Also on Saturday I did something completely out of my comfort zone and went to a meet up organised by a very popular Disney vlogger. It was in Hyde Park and it was a beautiful sunny day! I had briefly met a couple in Disneyland Paris that were going and we'd kept in touch via twitter so I felt better that I 'knew' someone else. It was actually such a great day, I met lots of people who obviously had at least one interest in common with me and I ended up staying out for a good 6hours!!

Meetup.JPG

The weather was lovely on Sunday as well so I got to relax and enjoy a BBQ!

I'm hoping next week will be much better running wise, my knee feels a whole lot better now. I realise that my knee issue is probably being caused by the muscles in my legs as it was before, when they are too tight they pull on my knee cap and put pressure on my knee.

Going forward I think I need to avoid back to back runs, find a
physio and also lose some weight. Losing weight is something I've been half heartily trying to do for a while and I'm thinking it could be a big contributor to my knee troubles.

Here's to next week...

Last edited:
That Chamber of Flavor thing looks amazing. I want to google that and see more about it!!!

It sounds like although there were no runs, you definitely were pretty active! You'll get right back to it this week :)

And I played "where's waldo" looking for you in that park picture. I think you have on jeans and a black tank? Or am I totally wrong??? I was trying to spot blonde "mermaid" hair (aka long and wavy)

Wow, looks like a really fun week! I'm jealous of your food experience and meet-up. I hope you're enjoying your tennis lessons! I used to take lessons a few years back (similar situation that you are in - Mr. Ariel484 is a VERY good tennis player) and I did like it.

Don't get too down about missing runs...it happens sometimes and it's okay!

Do you do any kind of strength training? Strengthening your quads and hamstrings may help your knees.

Ouch! That bruise looks really painful! I have been running intervals pretty regularly, but I'm wanting to PR a 5K this summer, so maybe I should go back to the C25K.. you're inspiring me. :)

It was SO SORE!!! I was not getting very much sympathy from my partner until the bruise came up and he realised I wasn't just milking it lol

I'm enjoying the C25K so I'd definitely recommend it! Aw thank you :-)

Joining in! Seems like you are progressing well, but seems like a good idea to do some repeats especially with a sore knee. OUCH!!

Thank you hun! And thanks for following along! I WAS progressing well... BUT I'm just going to put last week behind me now and see what this week brings

Yes...it is definitely not sweat...it's pixiedust:

We are kindred spirits with outside vs treadmill for speediness.
I used to really like having the different tasks/workouts every week when I did C25k and when I got to the "run 20 min straight" and no more intervals I was like "Waaaahhhhh...noooo!!"

I'll think happy thoughts for you knee!!!

I go SO MUCH faster outside I don't understand! It's not like I feel like I'm putting anymore effort in! Haha ye hence why I'm happy to repeat a couple, I know I'm still a way off from a 20min straight run

Thank you hun!

That Chamber of Flavor thing looks amazing. I want to google that and see more about it!!!

It sounds like although there were no runs, you definitely were pretty active! You'll get right back to it this week :)

And I played "where's waldo" looking for you in that park picture. I think you have on jeans and a black tank? Or am I totally wrong??? I was trying to spot blonde "mermaid" hair (aka long and wavy)

It was so much fun! You actually can't find out too much about it as they ask you to keep a lot of it secret. The photos are from outside the 'machine' and you weren't allowed to take pictures inside. Also we only found out the location at 4pm that day!

I hope so... I was feeling so good after my last few runs!

Yes I do!! Haha I probably should've said! Well spotted! I had to just grab a screenshot from twitter of this pic so quality is BAD!

Wow, looks like a really fun week! I'm jealous of your food experience and meet-up. I hope you're enjoying your tennis lessons! I used to take lessons a few years back (similar situation that you are in - Mr. Ariel484 is a VERY good tennis player) and I did like it.

Don't get too down about missing runs...it happens sometimes and it's okay!

Do you do any kind of strength training? Strengthening your quads and hamstrings may help your knees.

It really was.. I'm trying to really do a few things for myself in London now. My boyfriend is from London so he has friends and family here, I'm lucky my two best friends are here but still I feel I need a for more things to do for myself.

I actually really enjoyed the tennis lesson! I want to go again on Saturday but Rachel is over until Saturday night and I want to spend the day with her. I just want to get to a stage where I can hold a good rally with him, I think it's a fun thing to do as a couple and it means I get a bit of exercise in on holidays! We love our food (just like you guys if your TR's are anything to go by) so tennis helps us feel less guilty about everything we eat on holidays!

Thank you... I've tried not to, I don't feel too down about it, this would usually be enough for me to just quit posting in the journal but I don't want to do that this time. Even just reading and replying to comments makes me feel more positive. I actually managed to get my first run in at lunch time and I feel great after it!

No I don't, I was trying to but was struggling to do both (and suffering with my knee) and decided that I needed to stop in order to be able to get my runs in. I thought maybe it was the combination of both that was putting too much on my leg/knee but know I see running alone does the same! I'm definitely going to start introducing strength training, I think it will help!

Ok, that Chamber of Flavor place looks amazing. What a cool concept.
I'm really sorry to hear your knee is still bothering you, but like @roxymama said you were still really active. I'm glad you can tell just taking it easier for a week has improved things. I have added in some strength training and yoga this year along with my running and I do think it's making a difference for me in staying healthy. At least I'm hoping so.

Training Recap
10th April- 14th May

So as you can tell from the title I’m doing a sort of summary post here to catch myself up to date. Unfortunately the main reason I didn’t post as regularly as I would like is because my running journey has not been going very well lately. I’ve been frustration, then OK with it, then super OMG I HATE RUNNING frustrated and then determined and then fed up and well… you get the picture!

giphy.gif

Despite how terrible my training has been I'm still going to document it all in the hope that I can learn something from it!

10th - 16th April 2017
Monday: Walk to work & Tag Rugby (17,592)
Tuesday: Walk to work (15,696)
Wednesday: Run (7,490)
Thursday: REST (5,822)
Friday: Walk to Work (17,958)
Saturday: REST (4,767)
Sunday: REST (1,698)

For the runs in Week 3, you will begin with brisk 5-minute warm-up walk followed by 2 repetitions of the following; 90 seconds of running, 90 seconds of walking, 3 minutes of running, 3 minutes of walking.

rundisney.JPG

This week started off great, Monday's run felt easy and I was thinking I'll definitely be moving onto the next phase of the program next week. Even Wednesday's run felt fine but by Thursday I was back in the same place with my knee. I knew I couldn't run on it and I rested and foam rolled.

17th - 23rd April 2017
Monday: REST at home (848)
Tuesday: REST (9,405)
Wednesday: Run (14,110)
Thursday: REST (13,206)
Friday: Run (10,160)
Saturday: REST (9,613)
Sunday: Run (1,603)

By Monday even with resting at the weekend I still had some residual knee pain and also lower back pain. It's like the pain was drifting upwards! I was concerned about the back pain as I had some muscle spasms during the night so I worked from home and went to my doctor. I was prescribed some HEAVY duty painkillers and valium and told that I should try swimming instead of running. GREAT... thanks for that! I spoke to my boyfriend afterwards and he was shocked that I'd been given this prescription just like that! I also to skip Tag Rugby.. BOO :(

By Wednesday I felt back to normal so went to the gym for a run on the treadmill. I decided to stick to the treadmill for the most part as it would be less impact for my knee/back even though I do prefer to run outside.

Friday's run was again in the gym and again I felt quite normal. I decided at this point that I wanted to repeat the same splits one more time next week.

Sunday I ran outside and I tried out my new running shoes. I went for the purple Brooks Adrenaline GTS16. I'm currently running in both GTS14 and GTS15. I couldn't believe how different these trainers felt, it was like having insoles in or something as there was so much extra support.
brooks-womens-adrenaline-gts-16-purple-p78367-23881_image.jpg
This got me thinking... maybe my current trainers are part of the problem? I've not kept an accurate record of the miles on each as I bought three and have rotated but I know one pair for sure has more mileage than the other two. I actually left a pair in Ireland that I run in when I'm home so I've really only been rotating two since I started back.
I set off my run and only a few minutes in my calves were BURNING! It felt like I was running using different muscles all together! I wasn't able to complete the second 3min split and instead had to break it down into two 1.5:1.5mins
So I think I can conclude that I need to stop running in my older trainers. My pair in Ireland might still be OK but the other two are OUT!
24th - 30th April 2017
Monday: Tag Rugby (13,116)
Tuesday: Walk to work (11,839)
Wednesday: Run (9,007)
Thursday: REST (8,648)
Friday: Walk to Work (31,781)
Saturday: REST (28,947)
Sunday: REST (24,121)
On Monday I didn't run at lunch today like I usually would as I ran the before. I did play Rugby and it was a great match! Super close but we won in the end AND I got player of the match! Whoop!
Tuesday I was SORE.. apparently I gave a lot to that game! My back was hurting again and my knee was feeling a bit stiff. I decided to wait until Wednesday for running. Wednesday came and I felt worse, back was sore again and I rested once more. Thursday same story.
Friday I felt quite a bit better and as you can see by my step count I got a LOT of walking in but that's because I was at DISNEYLAND PARIS!! I couldn't believe how quick this trip came around but I had a fab weekend with two of my oldest friends from home
34661250862_f7ca13da1a_b.jpg
1st - 7th May 2017
Monday: REST (11,707)
Tuesday: REST (13,001)
Wednesday: REST (13,503)
Thursday: REST (16,148)
Friday: REST (12,568)
Saturday: REST (2,987)
Sunday: REST (5,355)
So ye... that happened... a week of nothing... Monday was a bank holiday and I arrived back from Paris EXHAUSTED!! I walked to work most days but I had both knee and back problems and I was just DONE.
Luckily Friday evening was the day I flew away with my boyfriend for a week of sun, sea and relaxation in Portugal. It could not have come at a better time. So my recap of May 5th to May 14th is this:
34438303800_84965644f8_b.jpg

Last edited:
Ok, that Chamber of Flavor place looks amazing. What a cool concept.
I'm really sorry to hear your knee is still bothering you, but like @roxymama said you were still really active. I'm glad you can tell just taking it easier for a week has improved things. I have added in some strength training and yoga this year along with my running and I do think it's making a difference for me in staying healthy. At least I'm hoping so.

Sorry lovely I missed your comment! It was really good fun and we're actually doing a new adventure by the same company in July only this time there is Gin involved too! YUMMY!

It's been tough for sure... Having a week away has helped a lot and I've got myself booked in for physio now because rest alone just wasn't doing it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter