S/O of Charlottesville

Status
Not open for further replies.
My DD is also scared about what is going on here. She is a minority and terrified that friends and people at the college will find out who she voted for and beat the crap out of her. I have tons of conservative and liberal friends that don't support the violence or racism from both sides. What you are seeing in the news is only a very very tiny fraction of Americans. Remember, majority of Americans are not evil or racist.

Yes! To the bold.

My DD is also scared about what is going on here. She is a minority and terrified that friends and people at the college will find out who she voted for and beat the crap out of her. I have tons of conservative and liberal friends that don't support the violence or racism from both sides. What you are seeing in the news is only a very very tiny fraction of Americans. Remember, majority of Americans are not evil or racist.

How could people find out who she voted for? Is there more to this story (I can't bring myself to read the news)? She has 'friends' who would beat the crap out of her based on who she voted for?

There's been a lot going on here since the posts I quoted to answer the OP's question, but I'll go ahead anyway:

...My question is to you gen xers and baby boomers, who lived through vietnam and nixon and george wallace and jim crow and detroit and all that: were you scared then? Is what was going on then comparable to what is happening now? Was it not as bad? Was it worse?...

I feel for you that you feel scared. At times I am, too. I do feel like the violence has escalated. Not just violence at protests like these, but every day violence.

I find it scary sometimes too, but I think this:

Lots of people believe our world has deteriorated, but my theory is that it's not changed ... we just see everything now due to social media.

is probably right. There has always been bad stuff going on (just like there has always been good stuff too!) but our perception has changed. Now the news comes to us instantly, and we're surrounded by whatever's happening, even when it isn't happening anywhere near us. I do remember scary things in the news when I was younger. But I think there was a perception of safety in distance that people don't necessarily feel anymore.

I talked to my mom about some of this since I missed the 60s and she said she said her big fear moments were watching the Kent State killings and the Selma Marches. What petrified her was that it was government institutions (national guard and police) committing the violence.

This feels different because it's different factions of Americans fighting each other.

Then all the assasinations of the 60s made everything feel out of control.

Yeah, I had a feeling that was where that one was going. I apologize for following that suspicion to its logical conclusion and then posting the questions/setting us up for the answers. Sigh. I'll learn someday. Stepping away from the thread, and in the meantime I hope everyone stays safe. And sane.

Yes! I think that's absolutely true and quite shocking. It's sad over Facebook I've learned some of my "friends" (no longer) are racist. WTH, outta nowhere. I'm glad I saw their true side, but man it's disturbing.

I know exactly what you mean. But at least I've also discovered that my family is not.

Really?? Really?? Read all my posts and then take a gander at what I'm implying.
Now I'm not really sure what you meant. I have read your posts, and I agree with you 100% that racism is despicable. However, I don't believe that the way someone votes makes them a racist. If I misunderstood you, I am very sorry.

Now I'm not really sure what you meant. I have read your posts, and I agree with you 100% that racism is despicable. However, I don't believe that the way someone votes makes them a racist. If I misunderstood you, I am very sorry.

Sorry I can't explain myself without getting into political territory. Not going to do it.

So it's okay to beat the crap out of someone for who they voted for? No shame in voting for the person you think should have the job. It is a shame that people fear violence for no reason.

No one has beat yhe crap out out of anyone. Her daughter has heard of friends talking about doing that. More than likely they are all just talking ****.

I'm amazed that an adult's parents had to tell her not to be friends with people she fear will beat the crap out of her.

Last edited:
Nazis and Confederate traitors, two groups that are evil to the core and as un-American as they come, stage a violent rally in the United States of America and people talk about the need to respect both sides? Disgusting. Just disgusting.

The first amendment may protect their rights to protest, but anybody who does not disavow and condemn them is also a traitor, in my opinion, for giving comfort to the enemy. We fought two wars against these groups of losers and now people are aiding and abetting them? Just disgusting.

Last edited:
Nazis and Confederate traitors, two groups that are evil to the core and as un-American as they come, stage a violent rally in the Unitrd States of America and people talk about the need to respect both sides? Disgusting. Just disgusting.

The first amendment may protect their rights to protest, but anybody who does not disavow and condemn them is also a traitor, in my opinion, for giving comfort to the enemy. We fought two wars against these groups of losers and now people are aiding and abetting them? Just disgusting.
My DS goes to UVA. We got an email from the university president today. She addressed the very thing you are talking about.

Dear UVA Parents:

Whether your student is already on Grounds or planning to travel to UVA this coming week, you are likely aware of disturbing incidents occurring this weekend related to the “Unite the Right” rally in downtown Charlottesville.

Last night, alt-right protestors carrying torches marched on UVA’s Grounds, attempting to intimidate bystanders and spread their message of intolerance and hate. There were several violent altercations during and after the march, and minor injuries were reported, including one University police officer who was injured while making an arrest.

During today’s “Unite the Right” rally in the city, there were numerous outbreaks of violence between protestors and counter-protestors. Earlier we had encouraged UVA students and community members to avoid the rally and attend UVA-sponsored events instead. However, due to public safety concerns and after a State of Emergency was declared in Virginia, we cancelled previously scheduled events that included academic programming, community discussions in the University Libraries, and athletic events. We are continuing to monitor the developments in downtown Charlottesville and to coordinate with state and local law enforcement during this still-fluid situation. The UVA medical center remains open.

The University of Virginia is a public institution and follows state and federal law regarding the public’s right to access open spaces, including the rights of the marchers who assembled on our Grounds last night. We also support the First Amendment rights to free speech and assembly, including the rights of the protestors and counter-protestors today. At the same time, we know that the ideologies and beliefs expressed by many of the groups that have converged on Charlottesville this weekend contradict our values of diversity, inclusion, and mutual respect. We strongly condemn intimidating and abhorrent behavior intended to strike fear and sow division in our community. Acts of violence are not protected by the First Amendment.

Above all, the safety and well-being of students—of your student—is my foremost concern as president. This is true today, and will continue to be true throughout the school year. We have a strong and well-trained University police force on Grounds, sophisticated security systems, and numerous resources available to ensure the physical health and mental well-being of our students. You will hear more about these resources in the days ahead, as the academic year begins.

This weekend’s protestors will disperse and return to their hometowns soon enough, and we will be glad to see them go. Until they do, at UVA we will remain intently focused on the safety of our students and other UVA family members, and we will continue to uphold our shared values as a community.

Teresa A. Sullivan
President

I heard someone say "it's amazing the human race is still around."

Stolen from Twitter:

When you write off Charlottesville as just a fringe act, you prioritize your comfort over the people for whom racism is a daily reality.
-JuanPa

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter