Running around the world to get to Hopkinton

I hope you can get your run in pain-free tomorrow!

Also ... I had a 2 day old stale beignet from Cafe Du Monde once. Not as good as fresh (or so I'd imagine ... I've never been to New Orleans), but it was pretty decent. Cafe Du Monde is definitely on my list of places to go if I ever make it to NOLA.
Fresh wash definitely really good. They basically came in a bag of powdered sugar. It was heavenly, light fried , sweet deliciousness.

Do Richmond! I'll be running that one for the 6th time, so I know the course. I can run sub-3:20 with you! I'm already signed up for 2018, and I plan on going for a BQ myself. It's not a pancake flat course, but it's mostly flat none of the hills are all that tough. Also, the final 10K is flat/downhill, so it's a great course for a negative split and a strong finish! It's a great race.

That would be fun. My running group has been talking about doing Richmond as our fall race for a while. I've heard really good things about it as a race. I'll definitely let you know if that's the one I pick

Loving your updates and pictures!

I’ve heard great things about Richmond! I vote for that one :)
Thanks Julie. I have heard such good things about Richmond. The only thing that's tempting about OBX is that would turn into more of a weekend getaway for the non runners. (My wife and kids would probably spend the weekend on the beach than downtown Richmond.)

So running has still been painful. I did 6 of my 8 EB miles on Friday and there was no pain during the run and only a little pain in my foot afterward. I decided to try my long run with Marathon tempo on Saturday and that was an abject failure. The pain started soon after I started running and I eventually wound up bagging the run and walking it in from about mile 7. There was pain and my legs felt weak too. BOOO!

The two Odyssey teams I work with both had practice all day Sat and Sunday to get ready for competition next weekend. A couple of my running buddies coach with me, and one playfully smacked me in the back of the head and said "go see a Dr". I'm taking his advice and getting my foot and shin checked out on Thursday. I think while I wait for results I am going to try and basically lift weights and do non impact cardio. The gym at work has climbers, bikes, ellipticals and the swinging running things. I think I am going to try the swinging thing first as I think the motion is closest to running only without any impact.

So running has still been painful. I did 6 of my 8 EB miles on Friday and there was no pain during the run and only a little pain in my foot afterward. I decided to try my long run with Marathon tempo on Saturday and that was an abject failure. The pain started soon after I started running and I eventually wound up bagging the run and walking it in from about mile 7. There was pain and my legs felt weak too. BOOO!

The two Odyssey teams I work with both had practice all day Sat and Sunday to get ready for competition next weekend. A couple of my running buddies coach with me, and one playfully smacked me in the back of the head and said "go see a Dr". I'm taking his advice and getting my foot and shin checked out on Thursday. I think while I wait for results I am going to try and basically lift weights and do non impact cardio. The gym at work has climbers, bikes, ellipticals and the swinging running things. I think I am going to try the swinging thing first as I think the motion is closest to running only without any impact.

That's such a bummer. Hoping for something simple!

So sorry you are continuing to experience pain. I hope you can get things resolved soon!

So I went to the Dr's at work and they wound up sending me to an orthopedist for x-rays. So the good-ish news is that my foot is what they called a "bone issue" basically an early stage stress fracture. They were more concerned about the bump on my shin which I've had since Nov. The lump turned out to be bone growth over a stress fracture on my tibia. The fracture is still there so they think I've been re-injuring myself before it has a chance to completely heel. They said to take 3 weeks off running but since I had cut way back for the last 2 weeks they are going to check me again on the 15th. While I wait for my next checkup I am allowed to use the exercise bike and the elliptical (but only if I keep my feet flat on the foot rests)

Bummer to hear it, but at least you've got an answer. At least you get a checkup soon and maybe it'll resolve quickly.

Sorry to hear about the injuries but at least good news that it won’t take too long hopefully to resolve.

Bummer to hear it, but at least you've got an answer. At least you get a checkup soon and maybe it'll resolve quickly.
I certainly hope so. I think maybe I am too old for 6 days a week. If I can run Tobacco road I think it might be good to move to a 5 day a week plan. The Tibia fracture had happened before Goofy. It never really hurt too much so I didn't realize anything was wrong.

Sorry to hear about the injuries but at least good news that it won’t take too long hopefully to resolve.
Thank you for the well wishes!

I certainly hope so. I think maybe I am too old for 6 days a week. If I can run Tobacco road I think it might be good to move to a 5 day a week plan. The Tibia fracture had happened before Goofy. It never really hurt too much so I didn't realize anything was wrong.

Thank you for the well wishes!

And you can definitely still be successful on a 5 day plan as well.

Sorry to hear about the injury. Hopefully the resting up helps and you can be back to running healthy soon!

So I've been trying to get my exercise time in on the bike or elliptical. I find that if I crank the resistance up on the bike it doesn't hurt my foot or shin and I can get my heart rate up. I've been doing 30 minutes on the bike at a resistance of 13 and that get's my heart rate up to about 140-145. At that rate my quads are usually really sore at the end of the 30 minutes. Our work gym has a couple different kinds of ellipticals. I really struggle to use them without lifting my heel and my foot usually starts to hurt at about the 30 minute mark. So my workout plan has been to do 30 minutes on the bike followed by 30 minutes on the elliptical. I'm doing that 4 days a week during the week. On the weekend I don't have access to any equipment so I haven't really done anything more than walking around.

I am hoping that I'm taking it easy enough that my leg will recover completely and that I am not doing anything to injure my foot further. I'm also really curious to see how I manage at tobacco road, if I get cleared to run it.

So I've been trying to get my exercise time in on the bike or elliptical. I find that if I crank the resistance up on the bike it doesn't hurt my foot or shin and I can get my heart rate up. I've been doing 30 minutes on the bike at a resistance of 13 and that get's my heart rate up to about 140-145. At that rate my quads are usually really sore at the end of the 30 minutes. Our work gym has a couple different kinds of ellipticals. I really struggle to use them without lifting my heel and my foot usually starts to hurt at about the 30 minute mark. So my workout plan has been to do 30 minutes on the bike followed by 30 minutes on the elliptical. I'm doing that 4 days a week during the week. On the weekend I don't have access to any equipment so I haven't really done anything more than walking around.

I am hoping that I'm taking it easy enough that my leg will recover completely and that I am not doing anything to injure my foot further. I'm also really curious to see how I manage at tobacco road, if I get cleared to run it.

Sounds like a solid workout! Hoping for the best!

So today was X-ray day. Good news is that the foot looks like it's totally healed. The doctor did point out that it looks like I am starting to get arthritis in my feet. She thought it was likely due to a combination of my age and weight and the amount of time I spent running. I guess that's another reason for me to look at at least one or two non impact cardio days. You can still see the fracture on my tibea on the x-ray. It is smaller, but it's not completely healed. The doctor did clear me to start running again, but she said I need to take it slow and I need to ease my distance up. I am not sure what I'm going to do about my race this weekend. At this point I don't think I can salvage it as an A race and even if I could I don't think a hard half marathon counts as easing back in. I think I will try and run a little bit tonight 20-30 minutes and depending on how that goes I'll try a longer run tomorrow. If there's no pain on Saturday morning I may try and run walk the half.

So today was X-ray day. Good news is that the foot looks like it's totally healed. The doctor did point out that it looks like I am starting to get arthritis in my feet. She thought it was likely due to a combination of my age and weight and the amount of time I spent running. I guess that's another reason for me to look at at least one or two non impact cardio days. You can still see the fracture on my tibea on the x-ray. It is smaller, but it's not completely healed. The doctor did clear me to start running again, but she said I need to take it slow and I need to ease my distance up. I am not sure what I'm going to do about my race this weekend. At this point I don't think I can salvage it as an A race and even if I could I don't think a hard half marathon counts as easing back in. I think I will try and run a little bit tonight 20-30 minutes and depending on how that goes I'll try a longer run tomorrow. If there's no pain on Saturday morning I may try and run walk the half.

Well good and bad news I guess. Not the worst case scenario. I know the feeling about race decisions. I have a 10k this weekend (and a HM in 3 weeks), but I made the hard decision not to run either. The hope is that it will serve me better in the long term. Daniels recommends equal time building back up as time off (example, 4 weeks off = 4 weeks building and only easy). Then break that timeframe into thirds: 1st third at 33% of prior mileage, 2nd third at 50% prior mileage, and last third at 75% prior mileage. Hoping the best for you whatever you decide.

Glad you were cleared to start running again. Be smart and hopefully you'll be back to full form again soon.

So the legs and feet have felt pretty good. In general I’ve been taking it slow. I ran the Tobacco Road half marathon this weekend. It was supposed to be an A race but I knew going in that I couldn’t push myself. My plan was to stop and walk if I started feeling pain in my foot or shin. I wound up jogging the whole race with a friend. There was no pain during the race. My quads are a little tight today but otherwise I feel great.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter