Life After Marathons: A Running/barre3/Coffee/Life Journal

Hi!!!! That's a big jump from 8 to 13.1, but you could always run a 5 mile warmup and then RUN 8 miles after it #enablinglogic
The biggest thing is to listen to your body...you know it best.

Hi :)
I think "#enablinglogic" is my new favorite hashtag. Although I think we could just change it to #DISlogic

Following along here, too! I'm so glad you started a journal!

OK, so re: the race. It looks like there's a 3:30 time limit for their half marathons, which, yeah, even if you needed to walk a chunk of it, you could. So there's an argument in favor.

BUT, I have to say that my inclination would be to not run it. Definitely a cool medal, but you have another half in January. And you said this about that one:

So I'm not sure that subjecting yourself to that on no training is going to do wonders for your race mentality going back to those hills just six weeks later. Also, it really does sound like you've got a lot of other stuff going on. I feel like with the same list of pros and cons and another half in just six weeks, I personally would lean towards no... but that's me.

All of that said, if you feel up to doing a half as a nice, slow training run and you could really convince yourself to take it easy, then, yeah, cool, that's a neat medal and I can see why it's tempting!

Hi!! Thanks for stopping by and following along!
I get what you're saying. I think this would be a much easier decision if it wasn't Central Park (or if I didn't have such issues with Central Park). It's definitely something to consider. I don't want to get burned out on Central Park right before my big January race.
Thanks for the input/advice!!

WOOHOO!!! New training journal. I'm so happy you decided to start one up again.

I love that Big Apple medal. I'm excited to read along.

Welcome! So glad to have you here!!
That medal is really cool. I'm really impressed with it.

If it was me personally, I'm on the side of the fence that @FredtheDuck is on...especially if you have bigger fish to fry in January. But I'm an over-planner and more tentative than some folks round here. I have no problem convincing other people to do things I wouldn't though (oops)

I'd say to check in with yourself on what your plan is for the days/weeks after this half (if you decide to do it) since you may need some recovery time. And how will that affect your training leading up to the next scheduled race. Just things to think (or overthink) about :)

I've been pretty fortunate with my previous halfs that I only need 1-2 days to recover, so I'm not super worried about that. At most I'll miss one run after the race. But that's definitely something to think about. So many factors to consider!!

Yay for another training journal!

You’ve got some great races lined up!

Welcome - so glad to have you here!
Yeah, it looks like I've got a good schedule planned so far for 2018. And there may be more coming eventually ...

So excited to follow along!! You're off to a great start with your journal...a suspenseful "will she or won't she run the big apple!?" story line. ;)

Like you and others, I think there are good arguments to be made on either side. I would be worried about injury and how that would hurt the January half, but some people aren't injury prone, so it's not a big deal. You could also run intervals or if you are an interval runner, just increase your walk ratio.

Welcome! I feel like every good story starts with suspense ...
Thanks for the input! I'm lightly but not severely injury prone (aka there's always something wrong with my knees and not much changes that), so that's not much for a factor. I was definitely thinking of changing up my intervals to include more walking ... if I decide to do the race, there will definitely be more walking than usual.

I, too, recently started a "training journal" but I feel like it's going to be more like here's my life right now and sometimes I run. I think we are allowed to make these whatever we want them to be, right? Anyway, I am glad to be following along. Reading everyone's else's thoughts helps keep me motivated. :)

Hahahaha, seriously. And I see both sides of what @FredtheDuck and @roxymama are saying. But I ran my first half with zero training and survived so I am voting to just do it, go slow, and get that awesome medal.

Welcome! Glad to have you here. I totally get that "here's my life and sometimes I run" thing ... it's hard to talk about running without also talking about all of the other life things that you have going on.

Thanks for the input. I definitely think I could survive the race, it's just a matter of whether or not it's a good idea. Especially because I'm bad at slow.
(And I kinda really do want that awesome medal...)

Seriously, everyone, thanks for the input and advice! You guys have brought up a lot of things that I wasn't completely thinking about, and it's definitely given me a lot to think about. Keep the thoughts/ideas/advice coming! You guys are awesome!

Race Thoughts Update:
After a conversation with my mother, it looks like it's now a 95% chance that I'm not doing the race. The main motivating factor is the weather (currently forecasted high is 38° (F)). Maybe if I didn't have another race coming up so soon, or if the race wasn't in Central Park, which is 160% hills (and I'll be racing again soon there anyway), it'd be a different story, but ... it seems like this just may not be the race for me right now.

I'm not saying that it's a definite no (I'll probably make that decision Wednesday or Thursday), but it's most likely a no.
Thanks for following along on this suspenseful journey. Stay tuned for Wednesday, when you will get an update on the United Airlines NYC Half (maybe ... assuming I check my email and/or remember to come here and update you).

Also ... my mom thinks the Big Apple Half medal is ugly. Some days I don't know what to do with her.

Seems like a pretty reasonable decision and I'll wait anxiously to hear about the United Airlines NYC half.

Also, your mom needs to reevaluate!

Race Thoughts Update:
After a conversation with my mother, it looks like it's now a 95% chance that I'm not doing the race. The main motivating factor is the weather (currently forecasted high is 38° (F)). Maybe if I didn't have another race coming up so soon, or if the race wasn't in Central Park, which is 160% hills (and I'll be racing again soon there anyway), it'd be a different story, but ... it seems like this just may not be the race for me right now.

I'm not saying that it's a definite no (I'll probably make that decision Wednesday or Thursday), but it's most likely a no.
Thanks for following along on this suspenseful journey. Stay tuned for Wednesday, when you will get an update on the United Airlines NYC Half (maybe ... assuming I check my email and/or remember to come here and update you).

Also ... my mom thinks the Big Apple Half medal is ugly. Some days I don't know what to do with her.

This is still such a cliffhanger....!!!
I'll think happy thoughts for your UA half update.

And also my mom says that I can't wear yellow...and yet parts of my closet look like they're shared by Belle and Joy from Inside Out.

Good luck in the lottery! I was going to throw my hat in the ring and public transit up from DC, but I have a work trip that weekend. Silly job.

Seems like a pretty reasonable decision and I'll wait anxiously to hear about the United Airlines NYC half.

Also, your mom needs to reevaluate!

I love my mom, but sometimes her taste in race medals leans more towards the "not fun." (and by sometimes, I mean now)

This is still such a cliffhanger....!!!
I'll think happy thoughts for your UA half update.

And also my mom says that I can't wear yellow...and yet parts of my closet look like they're shared by Belle and Joy from Inside Out.

Well I can't take away all of the suspense now, can I? (There will be a mini United NYC Half update soon ... I just have to organize my thoughts a bit. But I have a bit of a game plan for tomorrow's drawing.

My mom doesn't restrict my colors, but that's probably because I mostly just wear blue and black anyway.

Good luck in the lottery! I was going to throw my hat in the ring and public transit up from DC, but I have a work trip that weekend. Silly job.

Silly job. Your job really needs to be better about not scheduling work trips on race weekends. Really, that's work trip scheduling 101 - never interfere with race weekends or Disney trips.

Silly job. Your job really needs to be better about not scheduling work trips on race weekends. Really, that's work trip scheduling 101 - never interfere with race weekends or Disney trips.[/QUOTE]

I know! It's the worst. I will be up there to see some friends and do the NYRR 4 miler in February, and I'm actually visiting my BFF this weekend on the UES, so I'll be doing my "long run" (it's only 2 miles at this point) at the Resevoir in Central Park.

I know! It's the worst. I will be up there to see some friends and do the NYRR 4 miler in February, and I'm actually visiting my BFF this weekend on the UES, so I'll be doing my "long run" (it's only 2 miles at this point) at the Resevoir in Central Park.

Ooh, the Reservoir is awesome. I've only run there a handful of times, but I love it.
And I'm thinking of maybe volunteering at a race in February, so ... maybe I'll do that one and get to cheer you on!

---

United NYC Half Update:
Per NYRR, drawing will start at 8:00AM ET tomorrow and continue on a rolling basis. I leave for school at 7:30, and I actually have a bit of a busy morning tomorrow.
There are three ways to find out - a charge on your credit card, a change in your status in your myNYRR account, and an email. The notifications will happen in that order (I assume they don't want to tell you that you're in until they know you're good for the money).

Here's my plan:
  • Leave the house normalish time. Be logged into myNYRR account on the phone, and check status on the subway when I have reception/data.
  • Check my credit card when I get to school. Check again every 10 minutes or so until we start technical interview practice.
  • I have three Career Success lectures tomorrow. Check the credit card in between lectures, BUT NOT DURING LECTURES!
  • Be on the lookout for a flashing green light on my phone. If I get an email, open it as soon as I can (although if I get it at school, I'm guessing that means I get in ... rejection emails likely won't go out until later)
  • Check the CC every 20 minutes in the afternoon. No more than that. I don't have lecture in the afternoon, but I do need to work on interview prep and I can't just stare at the phone all day.
Based on last year's data, as an NYC-Metro Area resident, I have a 35% change of getting in. I'm guessing I won't get in. But that won't stop me from checking obsessively.

Less than 11 hours until the drawing starts!

Good luck for the draw!

Now as to your other decision, if I had the opportunity to run a half in Central Park I wouldn't hesitate! But I guess when it is something you can do just about anytime the allure isn't there (just the hills).

Good luck for the draw!

Now as to your other decision, if I had the opportunity to run a half in Central Park I wouldn't hesitate! But I guess when it is something you can do just about anytime the allure isn't there (just the hills).

Thank you!

Yeah, if I was coming in from the other side of the world it would definitely be a different decision. But since there are at least 3-4 halfs a year in Central Park (that I know of), it makes the decision easier.
And if you're ever going to be in NYC and happen to be looking for a half ... let me know, I might know of one going on in Central Park that you can run :)

(Almost) 2pm update:
Still nothing.
Every time I check my CC and see a charge from NYRR I get excited ... and then I remember that thatrs the charge for my January race (which I registered for a few weeks ago).
I'm not overly optimistic, but we'll see what happens.

giphy.gif

Run The Friendly Roads: Part 1
The Process
(Brownie Points to anyone who gets the title)

Wednesday, December 6, 2017. The day of the United Airlines NYC Half Marathon Lottery Drawing.

You guys already knew my plan, so I’ll just stick with how the day went.

Morning Subway Ride: Nothing doing. No surprise there.

Morning at School:
  • Checked my CC as soon as I got in – nothing.
  • Opened the NYRR website on my Macbook. (Actually checked it while giving a technical interview … oops. I hope my interviewee didn’t notice.)
  • I forgot that career success lectures are actually this ridiculous quiz game, so I let myself get distracted and kept checking my CC. Still nothing.
  • Once the quiz portion was over and we moved on to the lecture, I kept checking the website. Still nothing.

Lunch:
  • Checked a lot.
  • Towards the end of lunch, I was starting to give up hope.
  • A little before 2, I posted this:
(Almost) 2pm update:
Still nothing.
Every time I check my CC and see a charge from NYRR I get excited ... and then I remember that thatrs the charge for my January race (which I registered for a few weeks ago).
I'm not overly optimistic, but we'll see what happens.

Afternoon at School: Kept checking. Credit card and website. I was also following the #UnitedNYCHalf hashtag on Twitter until it got too depressing. As the end of the day approached, most of my hope ran out. I posted this shortly before leaving for the day:

6:15 Update:
I'm done checking (watch me go back on that in an hour). I'm assuming I didn't get in. More on next steps (and there are possible next steps) tomorrow.

Commute Home:
  • I still hadn’t fully given up. I was looking at the comments on a NYRR Facebook Post, and someone said that it showed up in the NYRR mobile app before it hit their credit card. I downloaded the app and … nothing.
  • I was done checking … except then I wasn’t. On the bus ride home (a little after 8), I decided to open the app, just to see what it looked like. The race was there. I checked my credit card. The charge was there. I checked the website … nada. I posted on here as I was getting off the bus and walking home, and I walked into the house and announced “I’m in!”
At 8:49 PM, the NYRR twitter account posted that the drawing was complete. Which means that I was probably one of the last people to get in. Wow.

Still haven’t gotten the email, but here’s what my myNYRR account looks like right now:
upload_2017-12-6_22-10-37.png

I’m still kinda in shock. I really wanted this to happen, but I can’t believe it did. I’M IN!!!!

Stay tuned for some thoughts and plans for both the race and 2018 in general … I’m schooling from home tomorrow (we were told not to show up on campus :)), so I’ll hopefully have time to think and write something out then.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts