Today’s run didn’t happen.. partly because of the freezing rain but mainly because I’m just exhausted. Ever since Sunday’s run I’ve had that overwhelming tired feeling that I had for the 3 weeks leading up to my great meltdown a few weeks ago. Looking back, I think it was clear that I was reaching the overtraining threashold. So I’m trying to pick up on those warning signs a little sooner. Today’s run was optional so I went ahead and took it off. In my head I know I shouldn’t feel guilty about it, but in my heart I feel like I may have made the wrong choice. I mean it was 10 min Intervals, I could have totally taken it easy.

So question for y’all! What are your personal warning signs? How do you know when you need to take it easy vrs when you need to fully rest?

So question for y’all! What are your personal warning signs? How do you know when you need to take it easy vrs when you need to fully rest?
More often than not a crappy run for me is a result of a crappy diet. Either too much wine or too much junk food can have a big impact on the following day. When I am careful with what I eat my running is much easier.

More often than not a crappy run for me is a result of a crappy diet. Either too much wine or too much junk food can have a big impact on the following day. When I am careful with what I eat my running is much easier.

This could be a lot of my problem! My in laws have lived with us for the past 3 years and in December they bought a house that needed quite a lot of work. So we’ve been back and forth in their house renovating it. Now that I think about it, I don’t think I’ve cooked a meal since before Thanksgiving. It has been especially bad these past 2 weeks because they are finally moving so the kitchen has been torn up between them moving their stuff out and us bringing ours out of storage.

Training Update Week 10! I don’t even want to do this update it’s so embarrassing.

Total miles ran – 3.5
Month to date (March) - 6.8
Year to date – 63.45
Fastest pace this week – 14.33

Planned work outs:

Sunday - DA 5K!
Tuesday - (optional if and only if I PR today) 5WU - 10r + 1w +10r +2w +10r + 3w + 10r + 4w +10r - 5CD
Thursday - 5WU - 10r + 1w +10r +2w +10r + 3w + 10r + 4w +10r - 5CD
Saturday - 5WU - 12r + 1w + 12r + 2w + 12r + 3w +12r + 4w + 12r - 5 CD

Missed workouts -
umm Tues, Thursday and Saturday. Yea… that happened. So I guess I needed to tell you guys that I struggle with depression and anxiety. This week things got a little crazy. My in laws (that have lived with us for 3 years) are finally moving out, things are happening at my job and I just kind of fell off the face of the earth. I missed work and just slept for days. I lost all motivation for everything. Ironically the thing that started to snap me out of my funk was my dog going to the emergency vet and having to stay overnight last night. I think it actually helped just because it forced me to get out of the house and think about something. Back at work today and not planning on running tonight, due to the late night of doggie shenanigans and the additional lost hour of sleep.

Things I learned this week –

Not really a lesson learned; however, based off of @McNs suggestion I think a lot of my struggles have been a tad dietary. Now that I have my kitchen back, I’ve done some research on best food for runners and we’ll see if that helps.

Days till next race – 13 days till the “Mission Possible Color Run.” And 27 days till the “Victory at Yorktown 10k”

Plan for week 10! (a little tricky. I didn’t want to “skip” 3 work outs in a row, but there are only 4 weeks until my 10k!! So I had to re-work the entire plan to skip future workouts so that they are more evenly spread out).

Monday - 5WU - 10r + 1w +10r +2w +10r + 3w + 10r + 4w +10r - 5CD
Wednesday - 5WU - 12r + 1w + 12r + 2w + 12r + 3w +12r + 4w + 12r - 5 CD
Friday - 5WU - 15r + 2w + 15r + 3w +15r - 5 CD

Training Update Week 10! I don’t even want to do this update it’s so embarrassing.

Total miles ran – 3.5
Month to date (March) - 6.8
Year to date – 63.45
Fastest pace this week – 14.33

Planned work outs:

Sunday - DA 5K!
Tuesday - (optional if and only if I PR today) 5WU - 10r + 1w +10r +2w +10r + 3w + 10r + 4w +10r - 5CD
Thursday - 5WU - 10r + 1w +10r +2w +10r + 3w + 10r + 4w +10r - 5CD
Saturday - 5WU - 12r + 1w + 12r + 2w + 12r + 3w +12r + 4w + 12r - 5 CD

Missed workouts -
umm Tues, Thursday and Saturday. Yea… that happened. So I guess I needed to tell you guys that I struggle with depression and anxiety. This week things got a little crazy. My in laws (that have lived with us for 3 years) are finally moving out, things are happening at my job and I just kind of fell off the face of the earth. I missed work and just slept for days. I lost all motivation for everything. Ironically the thing that started to snap me out of my funk was my dog going to the emergency vet and having to stay overnight last night. I think it actually helped just because it forced me to get out of the house and think about something. Back at work today and not planning on running tonight, due to the late night of doggie shenanigans and the additional lost hour of sleep.

Not really a lesson learned; however, based off of @McNs suggestion I think a lot of my struggles have been a tad dietary. Now that I have my kitchen back, I’ve done some research on best food for runners and we’ll see if that helps.

Days till next race – 13 days till the “Mission Possible Color Run.” And 27 days till the “Victory at Yorktown 10k”

Plan for week 10! (a little tricky. I didn’t want to “skip” 3 work outs in a row, but there are only 4 weeks until my 10k!! So I had to re-work the entire plan to skip future workouts so that they are more evenly spread out).

I hope your dog is okay! I also have anxiety/depression so I know how that goes, especially for me when i have change. Hope this week goes to plan!

I hope your dog is okay! I also have anxiety/depression so I know how that goes, especially for me when i have change. Hope this week goes to plan!

Thank you! He is doing great just a gastro infection. They only had to keep him overnight to rule out a blockage (which would have meant emergency surgery). Sorry to hear that you struggle with everyone's favorite cocktail of Anxiety and Depression, as well. It really sucks and I wouldn't wish it on anyone. Running helps a lot (especially with the anxiety part) but it's not the cure (at least not for me). Thanks for replying - the support means A LOT!

Running helps a lot (especially with the anxiety part) but it's not the cure (at least not for me).
THIS. It helps but it's definitely not a cure for me either. However, I can only imagine how much worse off I would be without running.

So, I signed up for the DA 5k and then realized, unlike the Virtual Running Club races, that you don't have to submit a time to receive the medal and that kind of bums me out. But I did it and I can't wait to get my medal AND it's for a good cause.
In other news, I finished the HP series yesterday for the first time and my heart doesn't know what to do. I can't believe it's over. Siiiigh.

So, I signed up for the DA 5k and then realized, unlike the Virtual Running Club races, that you don't have to submit a time to receive the medal and that kind of bums me out. But I did it and I can't wait to get my medal AND it's for a good cause.
In other news, I finished the HP series yesterday for the first time and my heart doesn't know what to do. I can't believe it's over. Siiiigh.

I know! I’ve made my peace with virtual races. The way I see it you are only “buying” the medal if you don’t run the race; however, I do like submitting my time. It gives it some structure, but hey it’s for a good cause so I’m not complaining.

Also, I just finished the Harry Potter books for the first time a few months ago too and I totally understand the “all the feels” feeling... it really doesn’t go away!!! Lol

Training Update Week 10! I don’t even want to do this update it’s so embarrassing.”

You know what happened on my run last night? I realized how dumb it was to be embarrassed of sharing week 10. Do you know what I did on week 10?! I set a freaking PR! By definition, I pushed myself harder than I ever have and the results were 5 mins shorter than my current record. After pushing myself so hard, I took a little break.

It wasn’t a perfect week by any stretch of the imagination. I had to do some real slicing and dicing to my plan to make sure that I finish in time for the Victory at Yorktown 10k. There are lessons to be learned and while I may not be “proud” of the week as a whole, I don’t know why I was so embarrassed to share it.

There are lessons to be learned for sure! But honestly, I think most of those lessons come from the planning side of things. I knew that my in laws would finally be moving that week, and I knew that all the work stuff was coming. So far, I haven’t taken my personal life into consideration when it comes to planning my runs, but I think the lesson is to do just that. Any way, just wanted to share some thoughts from last nights run :-).

Training Update Week 11! :rockband:

Total miles ran – 9.4
Month to date (March) - 16.2
Year to date – 72.85 :duck:
Fastest pace this week – 15:22

Planned work outs:

Missed workouts -
Mondays workout happened Tues and Wednesday happened Sat. Fridays will happen today. >:(

When you are used to running in a loop, do an out and back course every now and then. It’ll give you a new appreciation for the distance. You realize just how far 2 miles really is. :tiptoe:

Diet makes a huge difference! I’ve cooked every night this week instead of eating out and I just generally felt stronger for my runs (It could be power of suggestion - as a general rule I’m pretty subject to that).

The more I tell myself “You absolutely cannot skip any more workouts for this 10k plan.” The more workouts I end up skipping. I need to find a balance somewhere… more to come.

Days till next race – :butterfly7 days till the “Mission Possible Color Run.” And 20 days till the “Victory at Yorktown 10k” :jumping3:

Plan for week 10!

Sun - 5m WU - 15R + 2W + 15R +3W + 15R - 5m CD
Tues - 5m WU - 25R + 3W +15R - 5m CD
Thurs - 5m WU - 30R +5W + 15R - 5m CD
Sat - Mission Possible 5k.

:butterflyMission Possible - 5k - Plan! (Not really a plan - advise on what to do is very much appreciated):butterfly

I cannot believe I’m already on my 4th race this year! My BFF is the race director and it’s a color run so my original plan was just to kick back and have fun; however, I kinda want to see if I can PR again… My current PR is 43:50 and that’s from a virtual 5k. I know that I pushed myself super hard to achieve that and I’m extremely proud that I was able to do it without the race environment and without that little extra shot of adrenaline. But now I want to see if what I can do with those fun little perks!

Here’s my hesitation. After my last PR, I ended up taking a week off.. That was a luxury that I couldn’t afford then and I definitely will not be able to afford with 2 weeks left to 10k. I had a lot of outside factors in that mental break (it wasn’t all running related), but I literally only have 1 rest day planned before and 1 rest day planned after. I know I don’t have time goal in mind for my 10k (I really just want to finish). For now, I’m thinking my A) goal will be to either run the whole thing or have less than 5 mins of walking. I'll still be going further than ever though, so I'll be pushing pretty hard that day too.

This is where I am right now - still mulling it over. Any comments or advice is welcome.

OOOHH!! Sorry for all the extra post today, but I totally forgot to add this to the "things I learned part."

When I first started, my ultimate definitive goal was to run the WDW marathon. My running journey all started because of my obsession with Disney. As I've begun looking ahead, I realized that I'm not going to make 2019 because it always happens in Jan and I'll be finishing my first half in November so there are some training and budget issues there. Disney will be 2020. At first I was bummed, but as I've ran more and more, I realized that I really don't mind.

Disney is still a goal of mine, but it was kind of surreal to realize that it's not my driving motivator anymore. And even more surreal than that, I realized that my current driving motivator is simply running and how much I love it and OMG I'm starting to tear up while I type so i'm going stop here!

Last edited:
With the goal 10k race so soon, I'd save the effort for that race. I would advise to take this color run 5k easy and enjoy the time out on the course. That extra energy will be helpful come 10k day.

OOOHH!! Sorry for all the extra post today, but I totally forgot to add this to the "things I learned part."

When I first started, my ultimate definitive goal was to run the WDW marathon. My running journey all started because of my obsession with Disney. As I've begun looking ahead, I realized that I'm not going to make 2019 because it always happens in Jan and I'll be finishing my first half in November so there are some training and budget issues there. Disney will be 2020. At first I was bummed, but as I've ran more and more, I realized that I really don't mind.

Disney is still a goal of mine, but it was kind of surreal to realize that it's not my driving motivator anymore. And even more surreal than that, I realized that my current driving motivator is simply running and how much I love it and OMG I'm starting to tear up while I type so i'm going stop here!

And, THAT'S how you know you are a runner!

Have I “hit the wall?”

So after tonight’s run, my app gave me the “commitment badge.” I immediately felt a sinking pitt in my stomach, because I honestly don’t think I earned the “commitment badge.” Ive been skipping work outs every week recently and haven’t really been able to put a finger on why... I’ve had my reasons in the moment but they read more like apathetic excuses than legitimate reasons not to run.

I’ve heard about “hitting the wall” during a run and I’ve yet to have to have that experience (during a run). Is it possible to “hit the wall” during a training plan? Is this normal? I kind of hope this is the case and I’m going to treat myself as if it is. That may sound counter productive, but if I have in fact “hit the wall,” then I now have a known and solvable problem.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!