KM - Time - AV Pace (min/Km)
1k - 9:55 - 9:56 :car:
2k - 20:16 - 10:21
3k - 30:46 - 10:30
4k - 41:28 - 10:41 :snail:
5k - 51:39 -10:12
5.01k - 51:51 -11:21
Total Time - 51:51 Average Pace 10:21

Coming off of a week where I skipped every single run, the first 2 kilometers felt amazing. I had fresh legs, I was springy and everything felt completely effortless. I kept thinking “Man I’ve missed this!” :yay:

As I started the 3rd kilometer, the pure joy wore off and it was just a normal run. It was still easy but not that springy, effortless happiness that I felt in the first k. Even though it was normal and easy, comparatively it was awful. Then I started thinking about the past 2 weeks and started telling myself “I knew I wasn’t going to do the 10 miler. I knew I couldn’t do it. I was dumb to try. I’m so fat and out of shape, who was I kidding.” Whoa! Where did that come from?

The 4th k is where the break through happened. If you’ve read this training journal for a while, it’s no surprise to you that I’ve had a mid-training plan slump every single plan to date. When I have those slumps it’s never because I’m scared of the race I’m training for, but because I’m terrified of this 10 miler. When I was 10k training I kept saying “This is pointless, I’m never going to do the 10 miler anyway so why should I work on this 10k.” Now that I’m actively (or not so actively) training for the 10 miler it’s a million times more scary. I thought I was tired and exhausted from all the other stuff happening in my life right now (and trust me I am) but I don’t think that’s why I’ve been skipping runs. I think that this is a typical case of runners nerves but I didn’t notice it because of all the other stuff that’s been rolling around in my brain. And honestly, it’s probably a mixture of everything.

The 5th k wasn’t that eventful. Just did some more thinking on the above, but one of my neighbors did stop me and ask me for my number because she’s been seeing me run and wants to run a race together. She doesn’t have any runner friends and has always wanted to do one. Idk how that’s going to go, because she’s pretty fit so I can tell she’s going to be way faster than me even when she just starts but it’s still exciting. Also, maybe it was God or the universe sending me a real life accountability partner right when I was struggling the most?? I’m not one of those people that sees everything as a sign; however, It is kind of weird that I’ve been running all year and making small talk with her pretty frequently, and she waits until 2 seconds after the above realization to ask me if I can train for a race with her. IDK maybe it’s fate… maybe it’s Maybelline.

Also, another weird coincidence type thing that happened. After I finished my 5k I had a little bit left to run home. The song that came on at that exact moment as if I planned it but I swear I didn’t… “Go the distance.” It’s really not that much of a coincidence. I’ve added that song to every playlist I have at this point, but still - picture it. I’ve just ran a 5k where I realize just how terrified of 10 miles I am and all of a sudden after the run is over I hear “I have often dreamed of a far off place Where a hero's welcome would be waiting for me Where the crowds would cheer, when they see my face And a voice keeps saying this is where I'm meant to be I'll be there someday, I can go the distance I will find my way if I can be strong I know every mile would be worth my while When I go the distance, I'll be right where I belong” I somehow didn’t cry in that moment (or think anything of it really) but man am I’m tearing up now just thinking about how much I needed to hear that, and how much I needed to sing along and actually say those words to myself.

Screen shots of the app and a post-race selfie below - It’s good to be back.
[GALLERY=]Untitled by Katie Little, on Flickr[/GALLERY]

Training Update Week 29!

Total miles ran – 3.5
Month to date – 15.5
Year to date –189.03
Purple shoes - 165.43
Blue shoes - 17.6

Planned work outs:

Monday - 2.5 miles @ 15/30 sec @ 16:00/18:00 paces
Wednesday - 1.5 mile @ Easy + 0.75 mile @ 60/30 sec @ 13:30/18:00 paces + 1.25
mile @ Easy
Friday - 5 miles @ 15/30 sec @ 16:00/18:00 paces
Saturday - Virtual 5k (at easy/LR)

Missed workouts –:sad1::sad2: I did Saturday’s run. That’s it.

Things I learned this week –

Had a pretty big revelation during my virtual 5k, but I’ve already written about it in the recap so I won’t elaborate too much. I learned that I’m terrified of this 10 miler and I need to get my confidence back as a runner.

Other Updates that seem important

I mentioned this in my "life update" post but that was long and personal and not running related so just to touch on it here, my dad's surgery was moved on Thursday morning. It will now be 8/8/18 (hopefully).

Knee and Achilles are much better. (how could they not be with an entire week of rain)

I’ve been eating like crap recently (stress eating), will work on that some more this week.

Days till next race – 20 days till the Lynchburg 5k :stitch2:

:darth:Plan for week 30:
Wednesday - 1.25 mile @ Easy + 1 mile @ 60/30 sec @ 13:30/18:00 paces + 1.25 mile @ Easy
Friday - 2.5 miles @ 15/30 sec @ 16:00/18:00 paces

Update to next weeks plan. I messaged Billy and since I've missed so many he suggested that I redo the weeks of 7/2 and 7/9 and see where I am after that.

Monday -2.5 miles @ 15/30 sec @ 16:00/18:00 paces
Wednesday - 2 miles @ 15/30 sec @ 16:00/18:00 paces
Friday - 4 miles @ 15/30 sec @ 16:00/18:00 paces

So I couldn’t run yesterday because of thunderstorms, but I got it in tonight and for the first time in a while, I feel back!! I know I have some rough patches ahead of me emotionally but in the moment at this time I feel great!!

Training Update Week 30!

Total miles ran – 8.5
Month to date – 24
Year to date –197.53 <- Almost 200!!!!!!!
Purple shoes - 165.43
Blue shoes – 26.1 <- I’ve almost ran a marathon in these shoes!!!

Planned work outs:

Monday -2.5 miles @ 15/30 sec @ 16:00/18:00 paces
Wednesday - 2 miles @ 15/30 sec @ 16:00/18:00 paces
Friday - 4 miles @ 15/30 sec @ 16:00/18:00 paces

Missed workouts –None! It stormed Monday so I ran Tuesday. It stormed Wednesday so I ran Thursday. I worked late Friday and got called in Saturday, but I ran today.

I’m still learning how to turn on the “just do it” mentality. I’ve been pretty depressed recently but since I stuck to the plan and got my runs in this week things have felt better.

I’ve never loved the phrase “running is cheaper than therapy.” Because I personally feel like it down plays the importance of mental health. However, as I’ve been running through this patch of depression, I think I understand the sentiment behind it a little more. I think it may be one of those phrases that you have to understand to appreciate?? I’m probably thinking too much into a bumper sticker though.

I re-downloaded pokemon go today! Haha. All of the server problems seem to be fixed and I caught like 20 pokemon on today’s run.

My easy pace has been faster these days! Tuesday and Thursday the pace was around 16 mins and tonight it was 16:45 (partly because I was catching all the pokemon.). @DopeyBadger has advised me to not be disappointed if I start trending slower as it gets hotter and I add in more hills, but for now I’m considering it a win because I need a win!

Days till next race – 13 days till the Lynchburg 5k :stitch2:

:darth:Plan for week 31:

Wednesday - 1.5 mile @ Easy + 0.75 mile @ 60/30 sec @ 13:30/18:00 paces + 1.25 mile @ Easy

Friday - 3.5 miles @ 15/30 sec @ 16:00/18:00 paces

I’ve never loved the phrase “running is cheaper than therapy.” Because I personally feel like it down plays the importance of mental health. However, as I’ve been running through this patch of depression, I think I understand the sentiment behind it a little more. I think it may be one of those phrases that you have to understand to appreciate?? I’m probably thinking too much into a bumper sticker though.
I use running as my therapy mostly because I am not ready to talk about my situation to someone else. I have done actual therapy before and I hated it. But when I run I can think about what I need to work through and when I am done, I just finish my run and go on. It's not perfect. Sometimes it doesn't even really help. Sometimes I just use my run as a place to turn off my brain and NOT think for a while. But, to me, it's my place that I feel safe for now. So use it because you have it.

I use running as my therapy mostly because I am not ready to talk about my situation to someone else. I have done actual therapy before and I hated it. But when I run I can think about what I need to work through and when I am done, I just finish my run and go on. It's not perfect. Sometimes it doesn't even really help. Sometimes I just use my run as a place to turn off my brain and NOT think for a while. But, to me, it's my place that I feel safe for now. So use it because you have it.
Totally get that - Thanks for sharing!! I can't really think about things when I run so I personally still need a therapist from time to time (I've tried but I always end up forgetting what I was just thinking and it's not very fruitful for me) ; however, I do absolutely LOVE the feeling of not thinking about anything at all and turning off my brain. It's the greatest and most energizing feeling in the world. It's like my brain gets a nap LOL.

I do not think running or really anything else no matter how wonderful and good they are, including religious faith, can substitute if someone needs therapy. What running or any other form of good exercise can do is help you relieve stress and work through things, both good and bad you're dealing with in life. Sometimes exercise can release endorphins to help you feel better. At other times running has taught and/or reminded me about what it means to endure in life. But it may not be able to fix deeper challenges. And that's okay.

I have a possibly different take on virtual events. I view virtual races as an opportunity for people to participate in an event they otherwise may not be able to. When the organizer does not require proof, how you complete the event is up to you. Anyone who "buys" a medal and does not complete the event only hurts themselves. They in no way whatsoever diminished the accomplishment of any one else who did finish the event according the rules set forth by the organizer.

I love that you post about the hard times when running too. Sometimes it's far too easy to compare ourselves to others on here and think they never have a bad day running, or their slow time is substantially faster than I could ever dream of running on my very best day. In all reality, I'm really only competing against myself.

On your new potential running friend, I just have one piece of advice. If you do races together, make sure you both understand what the other wants to do and be fine with that. Meaning, if you want to run a race together, one person will slow down to the other's pace. My little sister and I have run in the same race a few times, but never together. We run at different speeds. If we're in the same corral, we'll hang out together until the start, but when the race starts we each run at our own pace. Don't be afraid to have an accountability partner. It can be very beneficial. Just be sure you both know where each other is at and that you're both fine with that.

I once saw a husband and wife getting a photo at the mile marker at a runDisney event. The wife looked at her husband and said "See you at the next mile. I love you, but I think you're crazy." In order to accomplish his goal of running the race with her and still get in his pace, he chose to stop at every mile marker and wait for his wife.

I do not think running or really anything else no matter how wonderful and good they are, including religious faith, can substitute if someone needs therapy. What running or any other form of good exercise can do is help you relieve stress and work through things, both good and bad you're dealing with in life. Sometimes exercise can release endorphins to help you feel better. At other times running has taught and/or reminded me about what it means to endure in life. But it may not be able to fix deeper challenges. And that's okay.

LOVE THIS!! I think this is what I meant to/wanted to say. Everybody had their own struggle and journey and sometimes running/ exercise/ me time is all you need. But sometimes people need more than that and that's okay too.

I have a possibly different take on virtual events. I view virtual races as an opportunity for people to participate in an event they otherwise may not be able to. When the organizer does not require proof, how you complete the event is up to you. Anyone who "buys" a medal and does not complete the event only hurts themselves. They in no way whatsoever diminished the accomplishment of any one else who did finish the event according the rules set forth by the organizer.

Agreed 100%! I LOVE the runDisney virtual events because making my way to FL or Paris this year isn't going to happen. So it was a great way for me to get runDisney on the calendar. I was just trying to make sure that I wasn't copping out but claiming a training run as my race when I knew darn good and well that I had a separate 3.1 miles in me. I feel like for me personally (and where I am in my journey), if I had counted a training run as my race I would have "just bought the medal." Rewind to January though when I did the Winnie the Pooh 5k. That was a training run; however, the circumstances made sense (to me) then. I know that on paper as long as you run the miles, you're good; however, in my head things get a little fuzzy because I try to be a perfectionist. Does that make sense? I hope so - LOL.

I love that you post about the hard times when running too. Sometimes it's far too easy to compare ourselves to others on here and think they never have a bad day running, or their slow time is substantially faster than I could ever dream of running on my very best day. In all reality, I'm really only competing against myself.

Thanks! I have to keep reminding my self that this is a training journal and not a "blog." There have been times when I didn't want to share stuff but then I though that I may want to go back and read that stuff one day (the life update post the other day that talks about my personal life is a prime example.) I've recently been gaining alot of inspiration from the beginning of this journal. It's inspiring to read how far I've come. It also doesn't hurt that literally every single person on the disboards is the most supportive person I've ever met in my life. Seriously - you guys are the best! Even though this is the internet and I should probably not feel this way about any thing on the internet- I feel like this journal is kind of a safe space. It keeps me accountable and I get TONS of support from it! I don't know that I would have made it this far without the boards and I'm not just blowing smoke - I genuinely believe that.

On your new potential running friend, I just have one piece of advice. If you do races together, make sure you both understand what the other wants to do and be fine with that. Meaning, if you want to run a race together, one person will slow down to the other's pace. My little sister and I have run in the same race a few times, but never together. We run at different speeds. If we're in the same corral, we'll hang out together until the start, but when the race starts we each run at our own pace. Don't be afraid to have an accountability partner. It can be very beneficial. Just be sure you both know where each other is at and that you're both fine with that.

I once saw a husband and wife getting a photo at the mile marker at a runDisney event. The wife looked at her husband and said "See you at the next mile. I love you, but I think you're crazy." In order to accomplish his goal of running the race with her and still get in his pace, he chose to stop at every mile marker and wait for his wife.

That is great advice! Also, don't tell my husband I said this.. but I think we can all agree that guy is Husband of the year! lol

You guys!!! I've ran 200 miles this year!!!! How insane is that?!!!???!! Idk why I'm so nervous about this 10 miler.. I mean if you do the math, I've already run 20 of them!!! Is it sketchy math? Sure! But it makes alot more sense than that common core stuff I read about HAHAHA.

Agreed 100%! I LOVE the runDisney virtual events because making my way to FL or Paris this year isn't going to happen. So it was a great way for me to get runDisney on the calendar. I was just trying to make sure that I wasn't copping out but claiming a training run as my race when I knew darn good and well that I had a separate 3.1 miles in me. I feel like for me personally (and where I am in my journey), if I had counted a training run as my race I would have "just bought the medal." Rewind to January though when I did the Winnie the Pooh 5k. That was a training run; however, the circumstances made sense (to me) then. I know that on paper as long as you run the miles, you're good; however, in my head things get a little fuzzy because I try to be a perfectionist. Does that make sense? I hope so - LOL.
I think it depends on how you choose to define a virtual race. If you want to define it as an all out effort, then I can see why you wondered if your race counted. I know some people really dislike virtual races. I do not. I think they offer a gateway to running. Maybe someone wants to run a 5K, but feels self conscious about doing it in public with "better" runners. Perhaps a family wants to do something together and this can be a motivation to get out there and do it. In the case of runDisney, maybe someone cannot travel to the parks during a runDisney event. If you're like me, then perhaps you choose to run a virtual event based on the medal. I happily signed up for the 2018 Star Wars Virtual Half. I'll probably sign up for the 2019 Star Wars Virtual Half even though I cannot run the 2019 Star Wars Rival Run races. I signed up for the Incredibles shorts because I love The Incredibles. In the end, I think it really comes down to what you get from the experience. If someone buys the medal and doesn't put in the effort to "earn" it, they missed out on the benefits that come from regular exercise.

Like you I genuinely believe that this community truly does care about each other. When I expressed my fears and concerns about registering for the marathon, I don't think I read a single response that said "stop worrying and just register." Instead, I read so many responses that shared their own experiences, both successful and not as successful as they hoped. Every single one of these was encouraging. Not in the sense of telling me to just stop worrying and register for the marathon, but instead in the vein of supporting whatever decision I made. Honestly, they helped me get to the core of what I wanted to do, independent of what anyone else said I should do.

As for your 10 miler, just keep going. I genuinely believe that preparation and training for a single event is the single most important factor in the final outcome. Former BYU college football coach LaVell Edwards, a member of the college football Hall of Fame, said that he believed that great athletes did not have a will to win, but rather a will to prepare. I've found this to be true. I can dream about finishing a race all I want. But it requires effort on my part to prepare for the race and finish it.

Welp... Wednesday’s run didn’t happen because of thunderstorms and I couldn’t get it done yesterday or today for the same reason!! Little old Lynchburg did make national news though (seriously even the BBC!!!!). Our basements is flooded and we no longer have a floor down there... but compared to others in the area were pretty lucky. I’m trying not to get too discouraged but I’ve aleady missed so many runs idk what’s next...

Hi Katie, I've been off the boards for a while due to a running slump. I thought catching up on your journal would give me some inspiration and it has! You are such a fighter; good job on on continuing to chase your goals even though it has certainly not been easy. Sending you and your family positive thoughts as you go through a tough time.

Random side note, since you mentioned Pokemon go. I've never played, but my 7 year old has recently gotten obsessed with the Pokemon card game and tv show - should I be getting him into Pokemon Go, or will it just lead to him wanting my phone all the time? :)

Hi Katie, I've been off the boards for a while due to a running slump. I thought catching up on your j ournal would give me some inspiration and it has! You are such a fighter; good job on on continuing to chase your goals even though it has certainly not been easy. Sending you and your family positive thoughts as you go through a tough time.

Random side note, since you mentioned Pokemon go. I've never played, but my 7 year old has recently gotten obsessed with the Pokemon card game and tv show - should I be getting him into Pokemon Go, or will it just lead to him wanting my phone all the time? :)

This made my day!! Thank you so much for your kind words and good luck getting out of your slump. It's never an easy thing to do - sending all the good vibes your way.

Pokemon Go! Yes.. He will want your phone all the time... LOL. The game is pretty much set up so that you have to go out around town and visit pokestops. You also have to keep it open while you walk around because that's how you hatch the eggs. It's worth it though. You may even catch yourself playing it :-). It's been keeping me busy and distracted on my runs. I don't really "battle" but I just like collecting them and then of course hatching the gives me motivation to keep getting out there.

This made my day!! Thank you so much for your kind words and good luck getting out of your slump. It's never an easy thing to do - sending all the good vibes your way.

Pokemon Go! Yes.. He will want your phone all the time... LOL. The game is pretty much set up so that you have to go out around town and visit pokestops. You also have to keep it open while you walk around because that's how you hatch the eggs. It's worth it though. You may even catch yourself playing it :-). It's been keeping me busy and distracted on my runs. I don't really "battle" but I just like collecting them and then of course hatching the gives me motivation to keep getting out there.

Thanks! Actually, I am going to rename my slump to ‘maintenance mode’. I’m still running, out I’m not going to get down on myself for running more casually and not following a plan. But the hammer drops again in September!

Yeah, I’m sure I’ll totally get into Pokémon GO if we get started. I’m thinking it might be a fun evening walk/run activity to do with the kids!

Training Update Week 31!

Total miles ran – 2.5
Month to date – 26.5
Year to date –200.03 :D - Why have I been so worried about this 10 miler?! I've already finished 20 of them this year!
Purple shoes - 167.93
Blue shoes – 26.1

Planned work outs:

Wednesday - 1.5 mile @ Easy + 0.75 mile @ 60/30 sec @ 13:30/18:00 paces + 1.25 mile @ Easy
Friday - 3.5 miles @ 15/30 sec @ 16:00/18:00 paces

Missed workouts – :charac2::sad2:Wednesday and Friday. We had 3 straight days of thunderstorms starting on Wednesday. I was going to do Wednesdays run on Sat and Fridays run today; however, Billy’s advice was to keep it easy if I ran 2 days in a row. So Saturday, we cleaned out our basement and finished ripping up the floor. That evolved moving a lot of furniture and it was just me and my husband. Then, we went to a friend’s house who had more flood damage than we did and helped them out for a couple hours. I definitely got a workout in, it just wasn’t running. As for today when I looked at the plan for this week I realized that it was a heavier mileage week so I’m just going to start fresh on Monday..

Seepage is considered a maintenance issue and is not covered by insurance. Even if you have flood insurance. You can specify it in an umbrella policy, but you have to specifically state it there - not just any umbrella policy will cover it. Know that’s not running related; however, it seems like useful info that everyone should know so there you go. :boat:

200 miles is a lot easier than 100.. Despite the last month, this last 100 miles has felt easier and it hasn’t been as much of a struggle to get out there. I’m getting more confident on race day and I’ve had some huge wins. The last month has been rough for sure, but overall the last 100 miles was dare I say enjoyable?! :jumping1:

My dad’s surgery is still scheduled for Wednesday. We’ll see if that actually happens. If it does, I have a 3 mile run scheduled for that day and I’ll get it done during his 8 hour surgery. The plan has always been to cut myself some slack this week if I’m not feeling up to it; however, considering the amount of runs I’ve skipped recently, I don’t think I can afford that luxury anymore. I’m just going to figure out how to cope and run at the same time.

Days till next race – 6 days till the Lynchburg 5k :stitch2:

:darth:Plan for week 32:
Monday -
3 miles @ 15/30 sec @ 16:00/18:00 paces
Wednesday - 3 miles @ 15/30 sec @ 16:00/18:00 paces
Friday - 5 miles @ 15/30 sec @ 16:00/18:00 paces
Saturday - Lynchburg 5k! Easy Pace

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter