Rumor on a blog- Tink & Lightside ending for a Full on west ?!?!?

cavepig

DIS Veteran
I was curious to see all your thoughts on this article-

http://blogmickey.com/2017/07/rumor...athon-light-side-half-marathon-race-weekends/

It says they'll be discountinuing Tink & Lightside for next year and a Full is in the works for west coast. Disneyland and Super Heroes are safe.

I personally don't believe this. This blog I follow and feel they put good stuff out but usually it's after I've seen it elsewhere, and this rumor hasn't been anywhere else that I've seen. Plus, didn't they try the west coast full and it didn't work out.

Wasn't sure where to post so hoepfully a new thread is cool, but just wondered what you all thought! I'm sure most of you have seen it but thought sharing here would be fun to discuss.

My initial thought was there is no way Disney would do that. The logistics would be too hard. But really people organize marathons all the time that aren't completely on their property. I think the biggest argument against it is that the WDW Marathon and Goofy still haven't sold out.

I think it's totally un-sourced click bait that seems to be based on nothing but speculation because of the delay in registrations for the two race weekends. It also makes absolutely no sense that they would want to replace two very (or at least relatively) successful weekends with a marathon weekend when the 5k, 10k and half marathon distances are all far more popular (even if they don't eliminate all the shorter distances). The final nail in the coffin is when they say that Superheroes, the red-headed poorly attended step-child of the runDisney universe is safe.

Makes no sense. Maybe something will happen and lead to a cancellation and they'll be able to say "look at us, we called it", but this is the worst type of internet "news" blogging just throwing un-sourced stuff at the wall to see if something sticks.

I feel like I can see the cancellation but not adding a full. If the problems they are having are true I think a full would be even harder to pull off. But I would be excited to run one at DL.

Agreed. I'm also having difficulty understanding why it is Star Wars that's would be cancelled and not Super Heroes. I thought the the Super Heroes didn't sell very well. I have run it twice but only because the travel agent discounted the bibs and I combined it with a trip to visit me west coast friends. I wouldn't have done tink in 2018 anyway because my oldest son graduates college that weekend. BUT man I'll be bummed if the Star Wars race goes away.

I feel like I can see the cancellation but not adding a full. If the problems they are having are true I think a full would be even harder to pull off. But I would be excited to run one at DL.

I don't see what the point or draw of a full at DL would even be. At WDW you have the "one course, all 4 parks" benefit. I actually call my WDW marathon medals my "Ultimate Park Hoppers". At DL, you would get the same park time that you get with a 10k or half with the remaining miles on the streets of Anaheim. Count me out.

I can't even imagine where a Full would go in the city of Anaheim due to the amount of street closures and busy areas.... the course would almost have to loop itself.
Do you know what the course was for the marathon they had at DL years ago?

BUT man I'll be bummed if the Star Wars race goes away.
YES!! I never got to get my Kessel Run medal :(

I don't see what the point or draw of a full at DL would even be. At WDW you have the "one course, all 4 parks" benefit. I actually call my WDW marathon medals my "Ultimate Park Hoppers". At DL, you would get the same park time that you get with a 10k or half with the remaining miles on the streets of Anaheim. Count me out.
That is true, it probably wouldn't even come close to being as exciting as the WDW marathon. But I bet the medal would be awesome for C2C marathons :D

I have a hard time believing they will proceed with Light Side weekend at this late date. It's now less than 6 months away. Doesn't seem like enough lead time.

They could easily do a full marathon in Anaheim. It just won't be scenic. They do lots of marathons in southern California in highly populated areas. They just close off lots of streets.

They could easily do a full marathon in Anaheim. It just won't be scenic. They do lots of marathons in southern California in highly populated areas. They just close off lots of streets.

This is part of what doesn't make any sense about that article, though. The prevailing opinion, although grantedly speculative, has been that the delay of SWLS and Tink is due to the need to re-route the courses and get the road closure permits through the local government at a time when there are complaints about the amount of time those roads are remaining closed. How does it make sense, then, that they are going to replace 13.1 miles of road closure with 26.2 miles of road closure (- park time)?! Not to mention that the time requirements for those closures will be at least, and probably more than, 2X that of the existing half?

This is part of what doesn't make any sense about that article, though. The prevailing opinion, although grantedly speculative, has been that the delay of SWLS and Tink is due to the need to re-route the courses and get the road closure permits through the local government at a time when there are complaints about the amount of time those roads are remaining closed. How does it make sense, then, that they are going to replace 13.1 miles of road closure with 26.2 miles of road closure (- park time)?! Not to mention that the time requirements for those closures will be at least, and probably more than, 2X that of the existing half?

Just to play devils advocate.... granted the closure will be longer, but it would be only for one weekend versus two. The main issue with anaheim could be that they have put up with this for four weekends every year. Also, with a marathon, you may be more likely to get runners that can keep pace with less sweeps. 26.2 miles will detract those that can't keep pace and know they can't versus 13.1 miles.

Also, a bit confused as to the word discontinued...just for 2018 or forever? If its just for 2018, it may make sense as its too late to get everything together. To make up for loss profit, they may want the marathon and get one more date in. Disneyland and super heroes in 2018 are still far out enough to plan.

Now with that said... I am suspcious of this as well

I have a hard time believing they will proceed with Light Side weekend at this late date. It's now less than 6 months away. Doesn't seem like enough lead time.

If they've been working on the event this whole time, 6 months is plenty. It's a popular race and there's no shortage of interest in the event.

Agreed. I'm also having difficulty understanding why it is Star Wars that's would be cancelled and not Super Heroes. I thought the the Super Heroes didn't sell very well. I have run it twice but only because the travel agent discounted the bibs and I combined it with a trip to visit me west coast friends. I wouldn't have done tink in 2018 anyway because my oldest son graduates college that weekend. BUT man I'll be bummed if the Star Wars race goes away.

My guess is that they'd cancel Star Wars because that theme also exists at WDW. I don't think they can do a Super Heroes theme at WDW, so that's a theme that would have to stay at DL.
Also, timing-wise, it could be that they'd replace it with a marathon in March or April, in which case they'd want to cancel the two closest weekends.

I'm not sure I believe the rumors of a marathon. I don't know that it would have the same issues as the original Disneyland Marathon, but I do think it would be difficult to get permission for that from the Anaheim City Council (who are not currently known for being very Disney-friendly). Plus, if they're doing it in the first half of the year, they'd probably want to have announced it by now. People need time to plan and train.

I'm sure something is going on with SWLS and Tink, but I don't think this is it. But that's just my thoughts.

They love the selling point of the Kessel Medal though, so need the 2 Star Wars, but something is definitly up but the Full marathon instead of those 2 just sounds odd. So then I can see theme changes/dates changes before that happening. Like the Full at WDW has 4 theme parks spread out, in CA you would only have the 2 and I'm sure all at the beginning so that leaves 22 miles of city, so maybe not as appealing of a draw as WDW. But, Who knows.

I'm sure they got a lot more hits on their blog today for it though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter