Roxymama's 5k to Marathon, Time to Collect Another Castle

Milwaukee Marathon weekend race recap: travel day/expo
IMG_2296.JPG

Saturday started with rain. A lot of rain. A lot of windy rain. And the forecast showed no end in sight.
After taking kiddo to ice skating lessons and making sure we were all packed (or in my case, way overpacked) we hit the road for our overnight adventure to Milwaukee.

I felt bad that our commute was going to have to be in a deluge but really wanted to make sure we got to the expo in time. It did kinda let up as we pulled up to the Harley museum. Kiddo was just happy to carry my umbrella.

Picked up my and @DopeyBadger packet and headed for the Residence Inn downtown and apparently I'm now an "Elite rewards member" and got a pretty sweet room. Unfortunately they did not put my new Elite status on my race bib.
Here's Roxyhubby fulfilling his role of "stand there so I can show how tall this room is"
IMG_2298.JPG
Kiddo seemed rearing to go
IMG_2297.JPG
And proof I was also there and also wearing my mandatory Tink jacket (I sleep in it)
IMG_2299.JPG

It was still really raining so we looked for the nearest food and ended up at Mo's Irish Pub which we've been to before. And I was able to have some chicken and water (no beer for me, boooooo responsibility) while we watched the Wisconsin Purdue game (when in Rome)
IMG_2300.JPG

We then had some hip hop dance battles in our giant room (really, we did, I'm not making that up) and watched some Kona which was impressive and motivating. It was not really a sightseeing day but we had a blast just hanging out. We will come back sometime to see the sights.
I laid out my flat me. And yes that's a Wisconsin shirt. I can't resist "theme dressing" for a race or buying tech shirts on clearance.
IMG_2270.JPG
And then off to bed for a mostly ok but also slightly restless sleep with three separate alarms set. i ended up waking at 4:50am before my first alarm. To be continued

I love that you wore a Wisconsin shirt. I assume that was at least in part to honor Coach @DopeyBadger. I think he may encourage you to wear Wisconsin shirts to all races from now on. It clearly contributed to your performance in the race.
(Also, I kinda love that roxykiddo was happy about carrying your umbrella. Kids are adorable sometimes. And then they grow up and get annoying.)

Also ... speaking of theme dressing ... can we pause for a moment and talk about my two favorite topics (clothing and me ... although I am actually my least favorite topic, but that's a different issue. I still like talking about clothing.)? I have a Halloween race coming up and I don't know what to wear. I can't really buy anything new (95% because I have no money (and whatever money I do have I spend on shoes) and 5% because I have no time to go shopping anyway), and other than my orange shirt (which I wear with a multi-color skirt), nothing I own really screams Halloween. Any out-of-the-box Halloween-themed costume ideas? (Or just good costume ideas that I might be able to scrape together with whatever random clothing I have?)

Anyway ... back on topic ... looking forward to reading the rest of the recap!

Milwaukee marathon weekend recap: Dismeet, the race, and the fritters (spoiler alert, there were fritters...keep reading to see fritters)

IMG_2303.JPG

The idea to have a Midwest meeting of disers has been in the works for a while now. It looks like it was probably after WDW marathon weekend that the wheels started spinning in motion as @DopeyBadger started a thread gauging interest way back on Jan 24th. Lots of ideas were floated and we landed on this weekend as was pretty close for most us and it fell past DB's big marathon and he was so kind to offer to run with me for which race I chose. I knew a half PR would be cool but there was something about trying for a sub one hour 10k that I've wanted so badly for a really long time (well since Nov 2016 when I made it to the 10k split of the HC15k in 1:01 with gas still in my tank). He said he was game and then we got more and more people to register and a meet up was set in motion. I was excited but also thinking "I have to cash this check I wrote!!!"

I had an awesome first half experience at Tink in may. And then every race in between was pretty hot out culminating in the Chicago Half Marathon that I completely pooped out during. It was red flagged and I was pushing hard and felt like running through quicksand. I was ready for some redemption so I really focused on my training...But the questions "can I really do this? Will my body and mind both work on race day? Will I be able to keep up?" was just eating at me. I decided to just be as confident as possible and see what happened.
And then 5:30am came. I was hydrated and fed and off I went in a clump of runners on the .6 mile walk to the start.
Here is a cold person at the race start area. I'm smiling because it's not 95 degrees out.
IMG_2301.JPG

I saw @opusone and @DopeyBadger right away which calmed my nerves to have some smiling faces to chat with. DB's mom was there too (she said we could all call her mom) and soon @*DisneyDreamer found us too. I love being able to chat real time instead of just over the internet so it was a lot of fun talking with y'all. We spotted a few runners in Disney shirts but we didn't try to recruit them.
We started talking pace strategy and DB handed me a badger sticker and said "here, for your watch" and I was like "oh. No! He's blind running me". Of course he asked me my thoughts on pace and training but not a peep about his plan for me today!! Now how was I gonna freak out about my lap times? (Oh wait, that was the point). So I went with it because in badger we trust.
We saw the half runners off. Hit the porta potties (mud field porta potties, blech) and spotted my people who'd made it down a little later than me.
IMG_2305.JPG
Roxykiddo was really cold so she was happy to be the honorary coat holder
IMG_2304.JPG
Thank you DB for telling us about the coffee shop down the road that your family was at. My family was able to go there after the race start and kiddo ate a giant cinnamon role at the same table as another running family.
We did a short warmup jog before going into the corral (one giant one.)
Hubby took one quick photo of coach and I. (Go team!)
IMG_2302.JPG
And then we inched our way closer to the front. I was starting to feel the nerves now but knew once we started moving it'd be ok. We discussed some words to use to communicate so I didn't have to talk too much. Red and green for speeds and Drink for my water bottle which he was carrying for me (what a guy!)

I have no clue what my pace or time was the whole race! Normally I break it down for y'all of how I react to each mile time. But they didn't even have clocks out on the mile signs (and they didn't even have all the mile signs out there...unless I missed that). To add to that I messed up my garmin at the start, so even though I had a sticker covering the screen I was still hoping to feel the buzzes at the miles. Nope, couldn't even cheat a little. No buzzes!!!!
And you know what. I think it was for the best. I really just focused 100% on staying with Billy and kind of gave up the time-mind-games I can bring upon myself. I had my No Doubt pump up music in my earbuds but low enough that I could tell when he was talking to me.
We ran a lot of the first couple miles side by side. It was feeling really easy and good. I was almost 100% sure we were at my half marathon tempo speed of 9:39ish bc it felt ok. Lo and behold we did that first mile at 8:42. Which I did not know at the time.
I'm not sure where Mile 2 was but I know we ran past the 5k turnaround and kept going so I kinda knew it was somewhere around there. Mile 2 was 8:53. I'd call you a liar if yiu said we had two sub 9 min miles because they didn't feel that fast!
Billy was really good about giving me visual cues. When to move in either direction to avoid people (or that one giant puddle) or to show me he was moving towards a better tangent (which btw...that was a great class in tangent running today, so thanks!). I tend to forget to drink water until I'm super parched and he offered me my bottle several times without me asking. So thanks for that too. When I'm really moving fast I have a hard time putting too much water in me because I feel sloshy so I should work on that more.

So back to Mile 3ish???? and I'd started doing some tucking in behind him when the wind was acting up. This was a windy race. I didn't think it was affecting me too much on the out portion but it really got me on the second half, so having a human wind screen was a lifesaver. I just kept telling myself that I had to stay close even if it got way harder as the miles wore on. Staring at the wisconsin words on the back of his singlet was like staring at the planet fitness logo on the treadmill during my speed workouts. Focus in, keep the legs moving, don't stop moving.
I apologize if all you heard was me huffing and puffing for a long time. I realized I had music going quietly which drowns out my breathing!
I have no idea the exact mileage at the course turnaround but a lil prior to it Billy pointed out a girl in an orange shirt on the other side and basically put a pacman target on her for me. She seemed fast but it did motivate me. I don't think we ultimately got her but just her presence in my head was helpful at that point and for the next few miles. At one point a guy and girl pair passed us too that I sort of used as motivation too.
I know at the turnaround DB said we were on pace and I smiled but in my head I thought (who's pace? The hour pace? A super secret pace? 10k training pace which was 9:14???). I told him I was feeling okay. Because I wasn't dying. And that was my "okay" today.

I remember the mile 4 sign (and I yelled at Billy "no clocks!!???!") and the mile 5 sign and the WIND. Omg the wind towards the end!!! In our faces and not at our backs. How Rude!!! I was feeling like it was giving me a hard time to push through it. I caught myself saying WOAH at one point when it came full force at our sides. I think something like that if Billy wasn't there would have given me a perfect "just slow down you won't make it" gremlin in my head. But my only focus was "keep chasing...keep moving...power through the wind". I for real thought I wasn't on pace btw towards the end. Doubt gremlins. But heck if I wasn't gonna fight through it. At maybe mile 5ish he asked me if I cared more about the finish or 6.2. And my heart sank a little cause I thought maybe we were way off pace but then he said "the course seems short". I didn't know about how much and know garmins are weird and just wanted to finish it so I said let's just finish line this. The last .5 mile or so (who knows exactly I had no garmin to look at) was a battle of being pushed hard by the wind and then getting little waves of my own "second wind" and I told Billy I was "working hard but still ok"
Apparently my family was getting up to stroll to the finish when they saw us run past and hubby said we looked like we were running nice and easy but fast. I felt like I was a bit of a posture mess/not very graceful at that point just trying super hard. So I guess we looked good!
I come to find out later that we were hitting 9:01 solidly over and over and over even during the time I thought I was slower. When Billy says he can hit a pace continuously it's best to believe him!
I gave my last drop of energy to "sprint" to the finish. Billy must have had gas in his tank because he kept up with me (hah!) and we had identical finish line times. I saw the 52 on the clock and he even pointed at it but I knew that couldn't be right and asked how we did. Sure enough 52:49! Whaaaaaat???? Realize all week Id been stressing about if I could hit 9:14 for multiple miles and we stayed under that by a lot (for me) the whole time. I starting getting choked up so I just gave Billy some pats on the back and was just so happy I gave it my all today.
I was saving something for him in my armband because even though I doubt myself I never doubted he'd get me across in under an hour. I gave him a red coach's whistle because every coach I've ever had has worn one and he really deserves the word "coach" and I hope he knows that :)

So the weird part of this is that the course maybe was short per some other people posting on Facebook too. And that's a bummer. The official race people say it wasn't, but it seems the turnaround maybe was on the wrong interesection??? There's online debate. The silver lining is even if it was for sure short I still would have had 55 something which is way faster than my super secret head goal of high 57 or 58 something on a perfect day. My first 5k was a PR even after the adjustment too!!! Honestly I have a lot more chances to run more 10ks...I'm just thrilled I kept up for this one and it's a big confidence boost. Maybe that elusive 26:xx 5k is achievable sooner than I thought??
Fun fact: I came in 14th of 93 in my age group!!! And we all ran the same course. Woot woot!!! I bet orange shirt girl was 13th? I'll get her next time.

@rteetz was hot on our tails apparently. He said he saw us out there and met up with us right after the finish.
Cue group pic!
IMG_2306.JPG
Proof I didn't die. Did you break a sweat out there @DopeyBadger ? :)

Before we headed out roxykiddo was able to meet GiGi and then Ryan and I were gifted each with the ultimate race
reward...
Giant Apple fritters!
IMG_2310.JPG

Yes I had this out at breakfast...don't judge me. You would too.

So I rocked my finisher shirt today
IMG_2308.JPG
But since it says marathon I had to include the medal to make it clear I ran the 10k, haha.
IMG_2309.JPG

Thank you thank you Billy for helping me see that I could push harder than I thought. I feel like I have room for improvement (because that's just how I think) but I'm excited about how today went and what I could do next.
Thanks to my family too for making the trek with me and being so supportive of my "hey I'm gonna go meet a bunch of people I talk to on the internet."

And now I wonder what the race was like from my official pacers perspective?
IMG_2307.JPG

Last edited:

Yay pre-race DISmeet! (Although why did you not try to recruit the random other Disney runners? Whenever I see Disney runners at a race, I want to talk to them ... but I'm much too shy to actually do that)

Sounds like Coach DB really came through for you! It's definitely hard to not be able to obsess over pacing, but ... when Coach says you're doing good, then believe him. Apparently that's how you get yourself an awesome PR (although I'm also 100% confident that you can do it again without a pacer next time). Great job!

Holy cow that apply fritter is huge. (That or the medal is tiny, but I'm going with the apple fritter is huge). That's definitely a good PR reward!

in badger we trust.

I feel like this needs to be the Official DISBoard Runner Motto.

I loved everything about this recap (including the apple fritter, obvs). Sounds like such a fun, rewarding day, and I'm so glad you came away from it confident that you can aim even higher in the future. You are a ROCK STAR.

Also, I love that you gave Billy a whistle. That's such an appropriate recognition for what he's been to you and to so many others here (myself included). So thank you for giving him that recognition in person!

Congrats Roxymama. Can’t wait for the next Midwest dis meet.

I hear somethings a brewing for October 7th 2018!

Holy cow that apply fritter is huge. (That or the medal is tiny, but I'm going with the apple fritter is huge). That's definitely a good PR reward!
No, the medal is actually pretty big. That is just one giant fritter. And it was heavy to carry (past-tense...it's has shrunk a fair bit.)
Apparently @roxyhubby thought dopeybadger actually made the fritters himself!

I loved everything about this recap (including the apple fritter, obvs). Sounds like such a fun, rewarding day, and I'm so glad you came away from it confident that you can aim even higher in the future. You are a ROCK STAR.

Also, I love that you gave Billy a whistle. That's such an appropriate recognition for what he's been to you and to so many others here (myself included). So thank you for giving him that recognition in person!

Thanks! I know it was just a small little thing to give but thought it was appropriate too :)

And I'm back, to say 2 things:

1.) I totally get that the mental battle is a bigger thing than the physical battle, and for me, that's what really makes running challenging. I think we (your readers) all knew from the workouts you were posting that you had sub-1 hour in the bag, but YOU had to know it, and push those gremlins aside. That's not an easy thing to do.

2.) I would have judged you hard core if you HAD NOT eaten that apple fritter...unless you weren't eating it because you had decided to mail it to me in Ohio, because in that case, no judgement whatsoever.

CONGRATS!! :banana:

This is just amazing! I honestly can't imagine having a running goal and crushing it into tiny pieces in such a big way! And I love the teamwork - just a wonderful story! :)

Other things I like about this report:
1. It confirms my sanity - yes, there were mile markers missing and I wasn't just imagining that!
2. I feel totally validated regarding the wind! I thought it was intense, but then I thought maybe I was just being a wimp. On the way back to the car, I heard a really tall guy say that people were running behind him to block the wind - wish I would have thought of that!
3. Roxykiddo is adorable! Maybe a mini meet someday when all the kids are ready to run a 5K. @mateojr would be happy to coach. But never ever give him a whistle - that would result in significant overuse!
4. Now that @DopeyBadger has his coach's whistle, I'll imagine that whistle blowing when I'm on training runs trying to go faster than directed.

@mateojr also sends his congratulations - he didn't exactly read the report, but was very interested in the photos! And he's super mad that we didn't find you all. ("Look, mom - he's right there in the picture - how did we not find him? Ughh!!")

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter