Roxymama's 5k to Marathon, Time to Collect Another Castle

What's your hydration and nutrition strategy for Sunday?

I was thinking about this on the treadmill last night and was going to bring in up in my update. I didn't drink any water during my run last night because it was only shy of 4 miles, but I definitely was happy to have some when I stopped.

I usually don't carry water on me during races, but the water table definitely slowed me up a bit at my last half (although that was a crazy hot, weird weather situation) so I'm wondering if I should just bring my nathan handheld this time. I've never carried any fueling stuff (gel) for races under 15k so far in my racing life or in my training runs under 8 miles. So I hadn't thought about using anything like that during this race. Do you have any thoughts on that?
Do you have suggestions for optimum time to eat my breakfast (usually a pb bagel that I'll pack and a banana and water), last time to drink water, etc? I'm all ears.

Sub-question: I usually run with music when I'm "going hard" but I've also had plenty of race experiences without it too especially every time I've ran with friends/hubby. So I'm wondering if I should bring my earbuds in case I need some pump up tunes towards the end? But I don't think I'll start with them.

And my 4x800 went well last night. I was on the treadmill (tried to wait out the rain but it never stopped raining) and treadmill ALWAYS feels faster than outside but yet I still was able to complete the 9:13 pace each time without it being too horrible. Probably helped that I knew I'd get that nice RI which I did at 12:30 each time. I know there won't be any RI during my race but at least I didn't feel like I was way worse off at the 4th 800 than the 1st. I'd say the second one felt mentally the "longest." It probably helped that I was zoned into House Hunters for the remainder of the run.
It was mega humid in the gym so at least I got to experience that (yay??)

I'm starting to get super super super anxious/excited/nervous and gotta keep taper brain at bay before the weekend.

I was thinking about this on the treadmill last night and was going to bring in up in my update. I didn't drink any water during my run last night because it was only shy of 4 miles, but I definitely was happy to have some when I stopped.

I usually don't carry water on me during races, but the water table definitely slowed me up a bit at my last half (although that was a crazy hot, weird weather situation) so I'm wondering if I should just bring my nathan handheld this time. I've never carried any fueling stuff (gel) for races under 15k so far in my racing life or in my training runs under 8 miles. So I hadn't thought about using anything like that during this race. Do you have any thoughts on that?

I don't think you need any nutrition. I'll carry whatever water bottle you want on course and fill it up for you at the aid stations. This will help you breeze by and not have to break stride.

Do you have suggestions for optimum time to eat my breakfast (usually a pb bagel that I'll pack and a banana and water), last time to drink water, etc? I'm all ears.

Whatever you do in training. I personally eat my breakfast and last water consumption 2 hours before the last time I can use the restroom.

Sub-question: I usually run with music when I'm "going hard" but I've also had plenty of race experiences without it too especially every time I've ran with friends/hubby. So I'm wondering if I should bring my earbuds in case I need some pump up tunes towards the end? But I don't think I'll start with them.

Completely your choice and whatever you think will make you faster. I will not be offended at all if you listen to music and tune me out. Only one goal for me is to make sure I do what I can to help get you your best performance on that day.

And my 4x800 went well last night. I was on the treadmill (tried to wait out the rain but it never stopped raining) and treadmill ALWAYS feels faster than outside but yet I still was able to complete the 9:13 pace each time without it being too horrible. Probably helped that I knew I'd get that nice RI which I did at 12:30 each time. I know there won't be any RI during my race but at least I didn't feel like I was way worse off at the 4th 800 than the 1st. I'd say the second one felt mentally the "longest." It probably helped that I was zoned into House Hunters for the remainder of the run.
It was mega humid in the gym so at least I got to experience that (yay??)

Doesn't surprise me. I know what you're capable of.

I'm starting to get super super super anxious/excited/nervous and gotta keep taper brain at bay before the weekend.

Just relax and have fun!

My sister follows DCC on Facebook, and she mentioned a while back that she didn't see Holly in any pictures. So I wasn't totally shocked that something was up, but I wasn't expecting that. Its hard to remember sometimes that she's just a kid in a new environment.
I felt so bad for Brennan. So close again! And it sounded like they weren't encouraging her to come back.
I also don't know most of the names. But I do know Lauren! I like her, but ... they mentioned this week that she put her career on hold, and I'm afraid that was foreshadowing that she's gonna get cut.
Most importantly (which is why it's outside the spoiler) ... if I had DCC boots, I'd wear them everywhere. Even though they're white and it's after Labor Day.

I love that we are using spoilers for this. Like there is a large scene of disboard people who are avoiding DCC spoilers!!!
For the record, I am avoiding game day pictures of the Cowboys online in case I get spoiled on who made the team. #sportsfan

I don't think you need any nutrition. I'll carry whatever water bottle you want on course and fill it up for you at the aid stations. This will help you breeze by and not have to break stride.

Whatever you do in training. I personally eat my breakfast and last water consumption 2 hours before the last time I can use the restroom.

Completely your choice and whatever you think will make you faster. I will not be offended at all if you listen to music and tune me out. Only one goal for me is to make sure I do what I can to help get you your best performance on that day.

Doesn't surprise me. I know what you're capable of.

Just relax and have fun!

Thanks for the water bottle offer! I have a feeling you will have no problem catching back up to me after a bottle fill. (that's what all your previous training really was for right?)
I've been fighting the "can I live up to this potential" demons all week but I've been squashing those thoughts pretty fast. If they creep in on this journal feel free to smack them down. I know they will be coming for me the next few days.
Also, if I start spouting out "fun facts" mid-race, tell me that means I probably need to start running faster.

This is what friends are for : )

:grouphug:
I'd offer to fill all y'alls water bottles mid-race, but I'd have to be on a bike or motorcycle for some of y'all!

Wanted to pop in and say good luck this weekend. I don't post much and usually on dopeybadger's journal but I do lurk on yours. Of course now that I know you are a sux fan maybe not so much :P. I hope the weather Is good.

Wanted to pop in and say good luck this weekend. I don't post much and usually on dopeybadger's journal but I do lurk on yours. Of course now that I know you are a sux fan maybe not so much :P. I hope the weather Is good.

Thanks for the support in running (maybe not in baseball!) At least you know how charitable I am that I'm willing to be a Bears and a Sox (I fixed the spelling for you) fan. It's hard and thankless work, but someone has to do it.

And keep hoping for good weather for us, we can use all the positive weather vibes at the moment!!!!

I should have mentioned I grew up in the northwest suburbs. I can get on board with Bears and Blackhawks, just not that other team.

I should have mentioned I grew up in the northwest suburbs. I can get on board with Bears and Blackhawks, just not that other team.

If you are a Hawks fan, then we can be friends. I've had season tickets for over a decade and have been a die-hard since they were begging people to come to games. I used to go to literally every single game before I had a kiddo. Tickets were like $8 or $12 or something.

Here's my kid in the cup in the Hawks locker room in 2013 before meeting Savy and Foley. :)

1240511_10100696070486181_143122315_n.jpg

And congrats on the Cubs victory last year. I can only say that because we already won in 2005.

And congrats on the Cubs victory last year. I can only say that because we already won in 2005.

Let the record show that I liked that post because of the adorable picture of Roxykiddo. As a Nats fan, all things Cubs are painful right now. :'''(

In other news, fingers crossed for good weather for you this weekend!

Let the record show that I liked that post because of the adorable picture of Roxykiddo. As a Nats fan, all things Cubs are painful right now. :'''(

In other news, fingers crossed for good weather for you this weekend!

Sorry about your Nats :(
I'm not so much rooting for the cubs as I'm rooting for my cub-loving friends not to have mental breakdowns. So far, there have been a lot of freaking out.

You've reminded me to check out the weather again. Definitely looks like cloudy instead of rainy, but I hate to use the word definitely. So I'll revise it to probably.
The wind looks intense still. So fingers crossed it's a helpful wind at least during part of the race.
Looks like it'll be rainy on Sat. when we come up. So we'll just have to find fun indoors (expo/hotel/restaraunts, etc) which is probably best for my legs anyways.

I have just one more easy run and I'm gonna do it tonight (outside or treadmill tbd...I'd prefer outside and earlier than dinner.) @DopeyBadger think I should be closer to 45 min or 60 min for this last one?
Gonna do laundry so that all of my luckiest race stuff is clean and dry and ready to pack tomorrow morning.
Tomorrow we'll do early ice skating lessons for kiddo (no sleeping in for us) and head out to cheese-land.
Will hit up the expo and get Billy & my packets. And try to find the traditional big race sweaty-band to add to the collection.

Then I will try everything in my power to be confident and not a nervous wreck for the duration of the day!
And then I'll try to sleep. And hopefully not fail at that.
And then :car:

Boo to rain! Too bad it looks like inside activities tomorrow, especially in the fall when it's otherwise so pretty near the lake. If weather clears, I'd recommend Atwater Park and beach, just north of city. Otherwise, it's the same-old - Children's Museum, Art Museum, Discovery World, Public Market. On the other hand, Third Ward has some interesting shops if roxykiddo is patient for that and you pack an umbrella! Our kids love the Safe House downtown for lunch and spy adventure! (It's a bar at night, but during the day fun for kids - ours have been to many birthday parties there!) Indulgence Chocolatiers (chocolate and wine pairing bar - kids welcome) and Purple Door Ice cream in Walkers Point are great for a rainy afternoon. One of our favorite yucky weather spots is the Fox Bay Cinema Grill - a bit more north, but not far. Old fashioned movie theater serving fun movie food. I did not say good movie food, but fun movie food. Fortunately for me, my husband already took @mateojr to see the latest lego movie, so the odds of us returning there tomorrow afternoon are low.

At least (fingers crossed) it's probably looking better for Sunday!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!