Room upgrades?

biochemgirl

DIS Veteran
We are generally budget travelers and have never upgraded anything - flight, room, rental car etc. I don't even know if I should ask since I know I won't pay to upgrade. Are room upgrades, like standard to better view or suite ever given for free?

We are staying a full week at CBBR and are celebrating my son's bday a week early since he starts school the week of his birthday. Any chance we can get upgraded from a standard room to a family suite? Do I just ask when we check in or is not even possible?

When you ask, they may also tell you the cost to upgrade to a family suite.

Doesn't hurt to ask though.

Anything is possible when you check in

If you booked a standard room and they were full and none available when you checked in, hotel would upgrade you to standard room park or water/ pool view

Your room rate would stay at the standard no view room cost then

To go from the standard no view to a suite is unknown

Have read in a few trip reports of peeps getting Mummy Dust, that they hit the jack pot and moved to a different room category

They wouldn't upgrade anyone for free, would they?
Yes they can. I have been upgraded several times free of charge.Twice at CBBR,
std to a pool view and std to a family suite. RPR std to water veiw many times and once
a std to king suite club level. last year at SF std to a hospitality suite. How I did it you ask?

Thats what I did.....I ask them very nicely if a upgrade is available .

I have been upgraded twice at cbbr. But I never count on it and when I asked was turned down

Yes they can. I have been upgraded several times free of charge.Twice at CBBR,
std to a pool view and std to a family suite. RPR std to water veiw many times and once
a std to king suite club level. last year at SF std to a hospitality suite. How I did it you ask?

Thats what I did.....I ask them very nicely if a upgrade is available .

You should go to Vegas, that's a lot of upgrades just for asking! Certainly, not the norm.

Are you a youfirst member? My understanding that most desiredupgrades are often doled out to reward their members. I've been lucky @ PBH once, amazing suite :)

There are so many gold members I'd think the suites that haven't been claimed as guaranteed by platinum members would go quickly each day. It's a first-come, first-served request and a $50 daily fee . Since it's a listed perk & they can't be assigned to Gold until checkin, IMO it doesn't seem 'fair' to assign to non-Gold if the general idea is to reward loyalty to the brand.

Naturally, the likelihood of receiving any complimentary upgrade would highly depend on the number of nights you are staying & how full the resort is booked.

We booked a family suite (or at least thought we did) but our travel agent accidentally booked us in a regular room. When we asked they upgraded us for free last year.

We were upgraded to a family suite for free, without asking, at Cabana Bay last year. We joked with each other that the room was closer for them to bring our luggage, but I really don't know why we got the upgrade! It was after midnight and our flight had been delayed--maybe they felt sorry for us.

I am a gold member. Been staying onsite since 04, go twice a year,
so not as many upgrades as it seems. But the last 3 times we have been upgraded.
Going back "home" this year to RPR .no upgrade available at time of booking which
was back in march for this Septembers stay. The lady I spoke with said to check
my reservation about 7 days out of arrival .Honestly I am happy just to be going
back, but a upgrade would be more icing on the cake.

so not as many upgrades as it seems. But the last 3 times we have been upgraded.
Going back "home" this year to RPR .no upgrade available at time of booking which
my reservation about 7 days out of arrival .Honestly I am happy just to be going

Good luck.

As long as you meet current Gold membership requirement of 5 stays per year, I'd keep checking but your dates may be blocked out period for upgrades. During HHN most weekends seem to be this year.

Was informed last October by management that "...significant changes I would love..." would be coming to the program. Still waiting. Change is usually not good with a hotel reward program.

I am platinum. When a suite upgrade isn't available at time of booking, I book the cheapest room & they automatically offer an upgrade to 'better' room (view, or deluxe @ PBH). Only so many suites to go around. They do disappear fast during popular times due to demand & blackouts periods. at least the resort dining credit is still offered then.

Do you ask for a complimentary upgrade or do you just ask for an upgrade? How do you word your request?

Platinum members can get the upgrade at time of booking

Gold and other level can get complimentary room upgrade at time of check in if they are available

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!