Roller coaster wimp--Matterhorn and BTMRR

I enjoy BTMRR. Matterhorn is probably the worst ride I have ever been on. My kids rode it several times, then got me on, and never again. WAY too jerky! I felt like I had brain damage after I got off LOL

BTMRR is an easier type coaster. The ride is far smoother than the Matterhorn.

Ride BTMRR both in the day time and night time. It has a different feel to each ride.

As for the Matterhorn, I've heard the same thing, the Fantasyland side is a little easier on the bumps.

I'm also not a big fan of roller coasters. I don't like heights and I don't care much for drops. Big Thunder Mountain has always been a favorite of mine at WDW and I enjoyed it just as much at DLR. As others have said, it's smooth, not ridiculously fast and best of all, because it's set to look like you're on a mountain, I never get the sensation of height I get on even something like Goofy's Sky School. Yes it has some tight, fast turns and a couple of little drops, but for me, it's just right.

I rode Matterhorn twice during our trip to DLR. The first time because it's something I could only experience at DLR and the second time because I was out voted and didn't want to be the stick in the mud. It is absolutely jerky and bumpy. It's also a pitch black ride to the top before it dumps you out for the wild ride down. I have to admit the second ride was worth it for the momentary night views of the park. Otherwise, I'd have very little interest in doing it again.

Big Thunder has a much better ride, is faster and a bit more thrilling. The Matterhorn is jarring but slower. Big Thunder is one of my favorites, it's the perfect blend of story, effects and thrills. While I love the theming, nostalgia and history of the Matterhorn, it can be painful, for me the issue is my knees sticking up above the edge of the car and getting banged into the rim.

Since both are built on/in mountains, neither give you the feeling of being high above the ground like a traditional coaster. They are also both relatively slow compared to traditional coasters and lack any big drops.

Last edited:

If you're truly afraid, you might consider Gadget's Go Coaster in Toontown. That one is the tamest in the park. If you go that route, I would go right when Toontown opens (hour after the rest of the park).

Of the two (MB or BTMR), definitely Big Thunder. It's smooth, well-themed, and the 'easiest' of the adult roller coasters. If you do not like Big Thunder, DO NOT do any of the others.

Space can be intimidating because you can't see where you are going, BUT it is very smooth and there aren't really any big drops. There are three lifts right in a row, and the ride is basically tiny drop, turn, tiny drop, turn, tiny drop, turn until it's over. There is one moderately sized drop maybe halfway-three quarters of the way into the ride.

Matterhorn doesn't have any big drops, and has a top speed of roughly 19 mph, but because of how you are seated it feels much faster than it is. Because the ride is so old, the transitions are very abrupt and the ride is bumpier and 'rougher' in feeling. Thus you might say it is the most "aggressive" of the DL roller coasters. Note that there are two sides of the Matterhorn, and I find the Fantasyland side (the right side) to be somewhat less intense.

So between Space and Matterhorn, which is more intense will probably depend what you find to be more intimidating: riding in the dark, or riding in the sunlight on a ride that is ultimately more aggressive.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter