Roller coaster wimp--Matterhorn and BTMRR

MinnieMouse84

Mouseketeer
I've never been on a roller coaster, but I'm considering doing Matterhorn and/or BTMRR on my next trip. My main concern with BTMRR is the banked turns. For reference, I can handle the banked turns in RSR, but they're a bit scary. With Matterhorn, I'm worried that it will be too jerky and uncomfortable. BTMRR looks pretty jerky too. What are your thoughts?

My husband is not a thrill seeker AT ALL. I have to ride the "big" coasters by myself, but BTMRR is possibly his favorite ride ever. It would get my vote over Matterhorn. I've only ridden it once, but I remember it was very jerky.

I don't like roller coasters but will ride BTMRR again and again. Matterhorn is less comfortable but still doable and worth it at least once for the dark ride elements. Space Mountain is smoother and could be in the mix as well. But I don't like Goofy's Sky School (too high), hated Guardians (the drops), and will never in a million years ride Screamin.

Matterhorn is very jerky. The last time I went on it, I thought I was going to have bruises when I got off. I've read that the side by Autopia is the jerky side (it was the side I was on last time) and that if you want a more mellow ride, go on the side by Alice in Wonderland.

Big Thunder has never bothered me. The ride feels a lot slower if you are sitting in the first few rows and feels a lot faster in the back row. You can request front row when you are at the front of the line, but you'll have to wait for the next train.

I am petrified of coasters, but I ride BTMRR and enjoy it. Space Mountain is terrifying. I screamed the whole way because I was sure I was going to be thrown out of the car. I have not ridden Matterhorn in years and will never ride Screamin.

I don't like roller coasters but will ride BTMRR again and again. Matterhorn is less comfortable but still doable and worth it at least once for the dark ride elements. Space Mountain is smoother and could be in the mix as well. But I don't like Goofy's Sky School (too high), hated Guardians (the drops), and will never in a million years ride Screamin.

I haven't done the Matterhorn before and I am wondering whether I should give it a go this trip. I do go on BTMRR - sometimes leaves me a bit seedy. I REALLY don't like Space Mtn - I feel quite unwell after that one for an hour or so. I didn't really like Goofy's Sky School - high and found it very jerky. I don't mind ToT (now Guardians of course) and I will ride Screamin but usually only once. I hate the top turn / bend at the far end and usually feel seedy after riding it. I do suffer from travel / motion sickness.

I am thinking though that perhaps I should give Matterhorn a go. We are not going to be going back for at least several years after this trip!

Last edited:
I concur with all the above advice. Matterhorn is very jerky, and once a trip is enough for me. I really love BTMRR...do sit near the front, it makes a big difference. It's a great ride, I would sit near the front and give it a shot. It is a rougher ride than RSR, which is smooth and fast. The fun thing about BTMRR is there is so much to see along the ride route!

I'm with Meriweather, love roller coasters but Matterhorn is not enjoyable. It just jerks you around, that's not thrilling to me. Painful is the correct term.

BTMRR is a good ride. Not a big time coaster, but it's fun! :)

I am NOT a coaster fan(I get motion sick easily and take medication), so big coasters are out of question...but I will ride BTMRR and the Matterhorn! BTMRR is a little "dippy" and scary it me, but I can handle it because of the theming...mind over matter. I LOVE the Matterhorn!! I ride the more calm side of the mountain(ask a CM) Yes, it's quite jerky. Just hold on tight and brace yourself and it's not bad. I figure any coaster that has been in the park since the 50s is okay!

BTMRR is so much fun!! We go on it multiple times per trip. The Matterhorn always gives me a headache. It's not scary but it's pretty rough and jerky. Once per trip is more than enough for me!

I am not a coaster fan and do not ride space or screaming, but BTMRR may not even be roller coaster, but folks use that word to give a concept of expectations. RSR uses G-forces and that is the problem with the ride, at the age of 61, I can no longer do those g-forces. I would rank RSR a 10 on banking, BRMRR a 4 on the turns, come to think of it, I don't even remember the turns on BTMRR.

Matterhorn...if you watch the winter olympics and wanted to ride in a bobsled, then there is the opportunity....if not......avoid....I always ride it once.....then remember why I only ride it once, just way to rough. As for it being a roller coaster, way to much scenery to even know that you are on a roller coaster.

I agree with all these comments. BTMRR is tame. Matterhorn is very jerky (I don't love this one). I would toss out a recommendation to try California Screamin. It's the smoothest roller coaster I've ever ridden and my favorite (I'm not a huge roller coaster person in general but I love this one!).

Haha, I remember reading that the old Matterhorn is the first coaster built using a tubular steel track! Way to innovate, Disneyland! But yeah, I assume it really feels similar to a real out of control bobsled shooting down it's track!

Big Thunder is a classic coaster with some very fun effects. It can slide you left and right on your seat, but not too badly. I have had to clutch a child closely, but adults fit better together.

Have fun!

I don't like coasters at all but I love BTMRR and Matterhorn. (I don't even really mind the jerkiness of Matterhorn.) But, yes, start with BTMRR. I would also add to ride them first in the daytime. I talked my mom into riding BTMRR with me and she hated it. It didn't cross my mind that having her first ride be at night where she couldn't really see the track wasn't the best idea. :oops:

I'm not a huge coaster fan, either, but I ride BTMRR. I've ridden Matterhorn and regretted it. It's not scary as far as the ride itself goes but it's REALLY uncomfortable and hard on your back. And you have to sit way down in the vehicle so it's not good if you have bad knees.

I rode Space once and would only recommend it to my enemies.

BTMRR is smoother, I'd do that one first. I recommend FP so you don't have a long wait in line to chicken out before you get to the front because the line is surrounded by the ride. Best part about not knowing if you can handle the hard banks? As soon as the train takes off you're doing the banks whether you can handle them or not. Trying is the only way to find out.

I used to be scared of roller coasters. I'd go to Magic Mountain with my friends in school and hold all their stuff while they rode the rides on school trips. And then one day I was walking through the car on Goliath to wait in the exit and my friend pushed me down in the seat & whipped the lap bar down. I was too surprised to react I guess. Next thing I knew we were off. A TERRIFYING first roller coaster, but after that I went on all the others in the park and other parks and now I enjoy BTMRR, Matterhorn, Screamin' and SM as much as the next person :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter