Rollator in the World

Colleen27

DIS Veteran
Hi all! I'm getting the plans nailed down for our upcoming trip and realized this is something I know nothing about. DS's SO is joining us on this trip and has mobility/stamina issues related to EDS. She doesn't want to use a wheelchair in the parks unless it becomes absolutely necessary, though I'm certainly open to renting one day-by-day if it is needed. Most likely, however, her rollator will be enough - she's used it when we go to music festivals, museums, and the renaissance festival, so she's used to it being her only aid on days with a lot of walking. But it occurs to me that I've never had to think about traveling with something like this before, in terms of how it is handled when we're getting on/off rides, accessibility of various forms of transportation, and things like that.

Can one of you helpful folks give me a crash course? Should we expect to deal with it like we did the stroller when the kids were young? Are we going to have problems with certain forms of transportation, like the MK railroad, with it? Is there anything obvious I should be thinking of but am probably missing? Thanks!

Does the rollator fold? If it folds, she can fold it to bring on the railroad. If it doesn't fold, she will probably need to park it and ride a full round-trip on the railroad. At most attractions, she can use the rollator as need up to boarding, and the CM will take it from her then bring it back at the end of the ride. Unless she can park it herself and walk a short distance. But unlike most baby strollers, she will be able to bring the rollator in the standby or FP+ queues; the CMs will direct her/you accordingly if she needs to board in a different location to have access to the rollator at ride-end. Same is true of wheelchairs.

Enjoy your vacation!

I have mobility issues and have been using a rollator at WDW for the past 5 years. For the most part I follow the guidelines as wheelchair customers and don't have any problems. When boarding Disney buses, I wait at the handicap loading area because it's easier for me to get on and off via the ramp. Just know that if there are ECVs they load first and up to two are permitted. If room allows the driver will then board me.
she will probably need to park it and ride a full round-trip on the railroad.
As far as the railroad goes there is handicap seating in the front of the train that I've been able to use on really bad days when I need to keep my rollator with me but on good days I can fold it and get it on my row with me.
Rides with moving walkways like Haunted Mansion or Buzz Lightyear, the CM can slow the speed down for you when you ask. The only attraction that I cannot walk onto with my rollator is the Wedway Peoplemover in MK. When I board rides, the CM will take my rollator and it's available for me at the ride exit.
Castmembers are not allowed to help you on and off any vehicle but they never rush me.
I hope this information helps in your planning!

If she does end up needing a wheelchair and wants to use it for outside the parks as well as inside, the preferred rental companies can usually get equipment to you pretty quickly. At least that's been our experience; out of the handful of times we've needed new or replacement mobility aids, only once have we had to wait more than an hour or two.

Thanks everyone! Hers does fold so I was thinking it would be more or less like having a stroller in terms of buses and the train. It is good to hear it from experienced voices!

I'm relatively sure we won't need a wheelchair, but just in case... which offsite rental places have a good reputation among DISers? I'd rather have an extra name and number in my trip notes if we don't need it than be googling and guessing if we do.

I'm relatively sure we won't need a wheelchair, but just in case... which offsite rental places have a good reputation among DISers? I'd rather have an extra name and number in my trip notes if we don't need it than be googling and guessing if we do.

Here is a list

++ power wheelchairs for experienced renters
This is a list of the Featured Vendors in alphabetical order:
  • Apple Scooter
    321-726-6837
    http://www.applescooter.com/
    Apple rents scooters, manual wheelchairs, single and double strollers.
    They do rent smaller, 16 inch wide wheelchairs, suitable for smaller people (and children) between 80 and 135 pounds.
    Apple has many good reviews from DIS posters and is a long time favorite. There have been some recent (2015 and early 2016) negative reviews.
  • Best Price Mobility
    321-402-5955
    Toll Free: 866-866-3434
    http://www.bpmobility.com
    Best Price rents scooters, manual wheelchairs, single and double strollers. Little feedback from DIS posters
  • Buena Vista
    (407)938-0349 or toll free (866)484-4797
    www.buenavistascooters.com
    Buena Vista rents scooters, manual wheelchairs, transport chairs, single and double strollers, lift chairs, knee walkers and some respiratory equipment.
    They also service and repair personal equipment.
    Buena Vista has many good reviews from DIS posters and is a long time favorite.
  • CARE Medical was a Featured Vendor, but is closing (changed 5/2/17)
  • Scooterbug
    1-800-726-8284
    Scooterbugmobility.com
    little feedback from DIS posters.
    They rent ECVs, standing ECVs, manual wheelchairs, single and double strollers (weight limit to 60 pounds).
    From what I can tell, this company provides strollers, wheelchairs and ECVs for the WDW parks; and probably pool chairs. They also rent the large grey ECVs that can be rented in the parks, plus a form of Standing ECV that guests can drive from a standing position. Here is a link to a thread about them, with pictures.
Vendors not on the Featured Provider List:
The specific companies are listed because DIS posters have used and recommended them over the years. The companies with little feedback are listed along with that information.
We will NOT list a company on the FAQs thread without a significant number of recommendations from established posters. Also, some companies encourage/promote allowing children to ride as passengers on scooters. We will not knowingly post a link to any company that encourages behavior that is unsafe and companies that manufacture ECVs specifically warn against in their instruction manuals.
  • Randy's Mobility
  • According to information from Randy, they have a London, England phone # that connects directly to their US. Office.
    US. & CAN. (321-281-6603)
    UK. (02030062368)
    http://randysmobility.com/randysmobility/rentals/
  • Randy's has been a long time favorite of DIS posters.
  • Randys rents ECVs, manual wheelchairs and Joovey strollers, including Joovey Caboose where one child can stand behind. Randy's will sometimes rent ECVs to older teens on a case by case basis.
  • Walker Mobility:
    1-888-726-6837
    www.walkermobility.com
    Walkers rents ECVs, manual wheelchairs, Power wheelchairs ++, single and double strollers.
    They do rent smaller, 16 inch wide wheelchairs, suitable for smaller people (and children) between 80 and 100 pounds.
    Walker is a longtime favorite of DIS Board posters and Walker Mobility is also a wdwinfo.com sponsor
  • Scootarama
    877-736-8328k
    http://www.scootarama.com/
    Scootarama rents scooters and power wheelchairs (which they, confusingly, call another type of scooter).
    Not as much feedback as Randy's, Care and Walker, but people who did post about them reported they had no problems.
  • Scooter Vacations
    866-778-4748
    UK 02079 932302
    http://www.scootorlando.com/index.html
    Scooter Vacations rents scooter of various types (which they confusingly call 'electric wheelchairs')
    Not as much feedback as Randys, Care and Walker, but people who did post about them reported no problems. Their website lists them as "Disney Premier Providers" and "Universal Premier Providers". Neither Disney nor Universal has any listing for "Premier Provider".
  • Scootaround
    1-888-441-7575
  • https://locations.scootaround.com/orlando
  • Not as much feedback as Randy's, Care and Walker. Scootaround rents ECV, wheelchairs and walkers/rollators. They also rent power wheelchairs.
  • They are a nationwide company.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter