Rivers of light - dining package or Fast pass?

4Hawks

"Be a goldfish" - Ted Lasso
Is ROL worth the extra money for the dining package? From what I could find, it looks like the dining package costs $7-10 more per person than the regular lunch buffet...so $20-$30 for my family...and the show is only 15 min.

Is it possible to get a same-day fast pass for it? Is it possible to see the show without a fast pass or dining package?

I want to know too. I have a ROL lunch package, but the dinner time fits our schedule more...

Is ROL worth the extra money for the dining package...
1 .and the show is only 15 min.
2. Is it possible to get a same-day fast pass for it?
3. Is it possible to see the show without a fast pass or dining package?
1. So is IllumiNations at Epcot.
So is the Star Wars fireworks show at DHS.
So was Wishes at MK. (HEA is now about 20 min.)
2. Highly unlikely.
3. Many do that, but it's not exactly easy. It generally requires very early arrival.

Last edited:
It's been almost impossible for a same day FP
We do the dining package because we are going to eat at a participating location and we are going to do RoL. Makes sense to combine them to me. If you aren't going to eat then it may not make sense for you
I'd prefer not to tie up our FP all day

Every time we've gone the stand by has been standing room only when we arrive for our dining package seating (about 30, 45 min before the show starts) so you have to be there very early to ensure yourself a seat. If you are ok dedicating at least an hour, or more, to waiting to get in, then stand by may work for you. That's an hour before they open the gates, which is still well before the show begins

If you enjoy interacting with characters, I would do the ROL dining pkg at Tusker house. We've done it twice now and both times we had a great meal with really fun character interaction. Our seats at ROL were great with no stress of getting there super early or using up a FP.

We agree - we really enjoy Tusker House so for us it is a win-win. Good food, fun characters, not using a fastpass and not a long wait for a show. There are so many rides we like at AK that we use the FPs for those.

We usually do AK in one day but next time, I'm thinking of doing two half days (one morning and one evening) there in order to get a FP+ for each of the Pandora rides. On one of those days we'll hop from somewhere else in the morning. So for that day, do you think it would make more sense to FP ROL? We'll have six FPs total for AK during the week and the day that we're hopping into AK, we'll already have pushed them into the afternoon/evening therefore limiting our ability to get additional FPs anyway.

Before this arose, I was thinking of using the lunch package myself but now I'm thinking I'll save the money and just burn one of those evening FPs on it. Any opinions on this?

Thanks!

I prefer not to have late day FP, especially the evening shows, because it eliminates any chance for adding on additional fastpasses once my first 3 are used. With little to no chance of getting ROL same day, I think the dining package is the best way to go that way you can show up much closer to the start time of the show (vs early line up for standby) and free up a little bit more time for park touring.

My only exception to this would be a scenario like what I have this year. We are doing an offsite outing during our trip and I added in a 10th day to our park pass (nominal charge) so that we could do an evening at AK (we'll have other time at AK during this trip as well) on that day. In this case we will only be there for about 3 hours and it's specifically to see Pandora at night and to see ROL so in this case, I only have time for 3 FP anyway, so I chose ROL as one of them.

We usually do AK in one day but next time, I'm thinking of doing two half days (one morning and one evening) there in order to get a FP+ for each of the Pandora rides. On one of those days we'll hop from somewhere else in the morning. So for that day, do you think it would make more sense to FP ROL? We'll have six FPs total for AK during the week and the day that we're hopping into AK, we'll already have pushed them into the afternoon/evening therefore limiting our ability to get additional FPs anyway.

Before this arose, I was thinking of using the lunch package myself but now I'm thinking I'll save the money and just burn one of those evening FPs on it. Any opinions on this?

Thanks!
Well, if you don't get the ROL FP, what would you get instead?

We're doing lunch at Tusker house either way, so it sounds like it's worth getting the dining package. Would we still have to arrive much earlier to find decent seats?

In the case of a second-day late-arrival at DAK, use the FPs.

Thanks for agreeing with me! Helps with the planning.

And good point about what else would I use the FP for. Probably just another ride on Everest or something.

I think we'll skip the dining package and go with the FP this time.

We're doing lunch at Tusker house either way, so it sounds like it's worth getting the dining package. Would we still have to arrive much earlier to find decent seats?
No. 30 min is plenty of time. But no later. They do eventually open the area up so don't cut it too close.
And to be clear, that's 30 min at the theater, not heading that direction then. I have to make this distinction to DH to I try to do it all the time now. He thinks 30 min means that's when we start to head back there (because he's chronically late). You want to be seated 30 min before it starts, to be safe. We often grab a beer and a snack on our way in and sit and enjoy that while waiting on the show to start. They also have a PP photographer that is around the stands with a sign so you can get a photo if you'd like.

Thanks for agreeing with me! Helps with the planning.

And good point about what else would I use the FP for. Probably just another ride on Everest or something.

I think we'll skip the dining package and go with the FP this time.

And, (if you don't need to "ride together") the best, fastest way to ride EE as the day gets later is via the Single Rider line. I've ridden 4 times in a row with a less than 5 min. wait between rides.

No. 30 min is plenty of time. But no later. They do eventually open the area up so don't cut it too close.
And to be clear, that's 30 min at the theater, not heading that direction then. I have to make this distinction to DH to I try to do it all the time now. He thinks 30 min means that's when we start to head back there (because he's chronically late). You want to be seated 30 min before it starts, to be safe. We often grab a beer and a snack on our way in and sit and enjoy that while waiting on the show to start. They also have a PP photographer that is around the stands with a sign so you can get a photo if you'd like.

haha! I'm the one who's always late or cutting it too close...and my husband is like you :)

Thanks!

haha! I'm the one who's always late or cutting it too close...and my husband is like you :)

Thanks!
Yeah, in 90% of couples is it the female that is the one that is cutting things close. Not in our house, it's DH. And sad thing, it's not from primping, it's from procrastination. :crazy2:

Yeah, in 90% of couples is it the female that is the one that is cutting things close. Not in our house, it's DH. And sad thing, it's not from primping, it's from procrastination. :crazy2:

My excuse is that I have to get the kids and myself ready, while he only has to worry about himself. I also say I do better under pressure and like to live dangerously :rotfl:

And, (if you don't need to "ride together") the best, fastest way to ride EE as the day gets later is via the Single Rider line. I've ridden 4 times in a row with a less than 5 min. wait between rides.

Thanks for the tip but I've got a five year old. She is a total daredevil that will ride anything but I do have to at least be with her! We've actually got our fingers crossed that she grows one more inch before our trip so she can get on Everest this time. She said 7DMT was "too slow" last year when she was four. :D

Pardon for giving life to an old thread, but is it any easier now to get a same day FP for Rivers of Light? Would rather pick up a FP for it same day. TIA for any recent experiences & replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter