RiddleCon August 1 ~3, 2003

TimNDansMom

DIS Veteran
RiddleCon was a huge success down at Cedar Point in Sandusky, Ohio. Luckily, the rain held off for most of last Saturday, which was the big day at Cedar Point.

We all met at Damon's Grill for dinner on the Friday night. It was a very nice restaurant, the food was great and had a great view of the marina.

Most of us stayed at the Day's Inn and I don't think they knew what hit them, when we all rolled in and took over the pool! Baboo came with her family (so glad you were able to make it, Kathy!) and they camped and Oldkicker, the "Riddlemeister" himself, and his family, camped as well. Albeit a bit wet, they survived the rain at night and terrific storm that blew over late Saturday afternoon. They all joined us over at the DI pool party.

After breakfast at Bob Evan's on Saturday, we headed out to Cedar Point for a day of coasters, stopping in at Meijers first, to buy discounted tickets. Dh and Tim went off to do all the BIG coasters and Dan hung around with me. I only like the coasters that have the shoulder harness and am fine doing the loops and corkscrews, it's those ones with only lap belts or bars that I avoid. Dh and Tim went on Millennium Force and Dh said he was scared to death as it plunged 300ft! Oldkicker and his daughter went on the new 420ft coaster Top Thrill Dragster which looked absolutely terrifying to me! Here is his report on the ride: Top Thrill Dragster
For anyone interested in going to CP, he also prepared a report on the various coasters there: CP Coaster Review

We all met for lunch at a picnic pavillion just outside the entrance turnstyles but Dh and I spent most of the time trying to locate our car in a sea of vehicles. He wanted to put the camera in the car (I TOLD him not to bring it as it would be a hinderence on the rides, but he thought it would be okay clipped to his belt) and couldn't find it after searching a 1/2 hr. He came back for me and the two of us spent another 1/2 hr looking for it. Eventually I found it after I went back over to an area where I thought it was all along but Dh said he had already searched there. :rolleyes: Luckily Dan and I had stopped for our lunch earlier at Johnny Rocket's Diner. We love JR's and we had gone in for an old fashioned milkshake but ended up having lunch because the servers all dance to the jukebox music and were so much fun to watch! Tim went and grabbed himself a pizza, while Dh and I were car hunting. Unfortunately, Dh and I missed the group picture, but at least Dan and Tim were there to "represent" us!

In the afternoon, Dh and Tim went off to do some more BIG coasters and Dan and I met up with Baboo, Dan Murphy and a few other DISers and explored the back of the park where it was delightfully cool and shaded and reminded me of Frontierland at WDW!

The plan was to meet back up at the picnic pavillion around 5:30 but the "monsoon" hit and only Baboo and her family, Towncrier (who made us all RiddleCon buttons) and his daughter and my family made it back. The others rode it out in various buildings in the park, their cars or had left and missed it. The winds were so strong and there was so much water that we all had to move to the centre of the pavillion to keep dry. It was amazing!

After the storm the park employees went about drying all the benches and pushing all the water towards to drains. The rides opened up again and we went back. After "Corkscrew", Dh decided that was enough for him so we headed off to Ryan's for dinner. I hadn't slept well the first night at the Day's Inn, but I was "dead to the world" after a day at CP!

After stopping at Cracker Barrel for breakfast we headed home on Sunday morning and went through more rain.

Everyone I met at RiddleCon was very nice and I enjoyed the weekend. RiddleCon II planning is in the works if you didn't make this one. Here is a link to all the many, many pictures on the Dis Meets Forum: RiddleCon Pics

Sounds like you had a great time Julie. Will have to look into RiddleCon2.

We had a meet in Baltimore with Disers we are cruising with in October and it was a lot of fun too.

There were 17 other people there and we went on a lunch cruise which was really nice. The best part was meeting some people before we actually cruise. We also got to see the previews for the name tags, and T-shirt logos for the trip as well.

October will be here before we know it.

Glad to hear that you had a great time at the Baltimore meet, Fiona! The lunch cruise sounds very nice too!

October is just around the corner isn't it!!

I actually had no idea that Baltimore was such a big port so it was really interesting. Afterwards we visited Fort McHenry which is the fort from which the US anthem comes. On the drive home we stopped and toured Gettysburg as well.

We had no rain but boy was it hot and humid. Unbelievable.

How long a drive was it for you to Cedar Point?

Hopefully the weather will be great in October.

Wow.. that sounded like so much fun!

I am sure the Days Inn misses you all terribly :)

>>^..^<<

I'm sure they do, Cass! They must have wondered about all the lime green too! ;)

Fiona, it took us about 5 1/2 hours, including the border crossing and a stop for lunch, to drive to Cedar Point. My Rand McNally TripMaker program says it takes about 4 1/2 hours and I think we did it closer to that on the way back because we didn't stop for lunch and had a quicker border crossing. Had to slow down for some heavy rain around Toledo, though. Sounds like you had a very interesting trip visiting those historical points. I'm hoping for a nice October trip too. We've been in mid-November and some days and nights were pretty cool!

I really enjoyed the pics from Riddlecon!

Two more weeks for us!:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

And the cat goes this Tuesday for Snip Snip! The Vet thought it would be best to be home longer before going to the Kennel!

Scratch
:smooth:

I'm glad to hear that you both enjoyed your meets, Julie, and Fiona! :)

It's cool that Baboo and family made it to RiddleCon too! :)

Thank you for delivering my "message" to the Riddle Meister, Julie! :) ;) :)

I'm going to have to take a look at the pics! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter